Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2024  (Read 3549 times)

Easter Arrow 2024
« on: 02 March, 2024, 05:56:18 pm »
Just under 4 weeks to go.

We are a team of four setting off from Hertfordshire.  I’ve opted for a later start to enable us to, enjoy a team second breakfast before we start, cross the Humber Bridge at a time you’re allowed to.  Plus grab a Premier Inn breakfast on the other side. We are called the aero pirates, so expect bad accents and jokes if we cross paths.

Who else has a team, and how are your plans going?

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: Easter Arrow 2024
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2024, 06:01:25 pm »
5 of us in Tring Audax team. Also from Hertfordshire.

We’ll be at the spoons for breakfast hopefully.

Hoping to bump into people on the way. Normally bump into an Essex team somewhere random in the fens…

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2024, 06:42:32 pm »
ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled will be in action once more, with a fen avoiding route from Bishop's Stortford. Via Nottingham this year, using a route similar to one a few of us did a while ago.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2024, 07:00:38 pm »
You mean that route when you said there were no more hills when we got to Nottingham and then it was like the North Face trying to get out of the city?

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2024, 09:20:52 pm »
You mean that route when you said there were no more hills when we got to Nottingham and then it was like the North Face trying to get out of the city?

Yes that one  ;D

Modified to reduce the climbing, and now it is fixed / singlespeed friendly.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2024, 09:02:49 am »
12 of us from St Albans, also in Hertfordshire.
Like the idea of later start to allow Humber crossing. We're starting earlier to get out of the more urban areas before it gets too busy. 3 different routes needed for the 3 teams.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2024, 09:17:01 pm »
Does anybody want another rider on their Arrow team? I am a big bloke who chugs along into headwinds and prefers a 400km ride to a 500km.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2024, 02:28:13 pm »
Sent a PM.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:08:25 pm »
Thank you
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:58:25 pm »
We have a full complement of 5, we'll be spending some time in the Fens and aiming for breakfast at the Posterngate 'spoons. If anyone orders Deliveroo en-route, ACME Dynamite Allsorts are on the case ...  ;)

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2024, 05:05:12 pm »
We have a full complement of 5, we'll be spending some time in the Fens and aiming for breakfast at the Posterngate 'spoons. If anyone orders Deliveroo en-route, ACME Dynamite Allsorts are on the case ...  ;)

ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled are also at a full compliment of 5. If it weren’t for the fact we are bypassing the Fens this year, we’d be preparing our Deliveroo order for replenishments en-route!

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2024, 06:06:41 pm »
Team Aero Pirates now has an additional rider, bringing us up to five. Welcome on board.

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2024, 06:48:26 pm »

ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled are also at a full compliment of 5. If it weren’t for the fact we are bypassing the Fens this year, we’d be preparing our Deliveroo order for replenishments en-route!

Ah, hot food passed up in a musette, without needing to stop. 

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2024, 08:49:24 pm »
Good luck to all fellow teams on Friday.  Looking forward to first Arrow since pandemic.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2024, 09:38:11 pm »
good luck all,

On my plan for "someday", otherwise pre-occupied this year.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2024, 05:31:45 pm »
Bonne route et bon courage to all Arrowing tomorrow. Team ACME Dynamite Allsorts will see you in York, if not somewhere on the road, all being well!

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2024, 08:58:19 am »
Last minute decision to ride a 200K perm overnight to York, see you at the finish..

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2024, 04:54:25 pm »
If anyone wants to own up to going from Edinburgh Via Lindisfarne....
The usual AE suspects have drawn a blank as to who it could be

« Reply #18 on: 29 March, 2024, 06:53:40 pm »
It does seem to be a bit odd, grotty roads and too many cars Bo CoOp or McDonalds on the island either ...

« Reply #19 on: 30 March, 2024, 09:55:09 pm »
Good to see you briefly at the station with a missing wheel. Now had a sleep but looking forward to proper one tonight.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2024, 11:10:08 am »
Back home in Edinburgh.

Thanks to Phil for organising the Arrow team and for corralling such a disparate group into a functioning team.   :D

The first 250km was all on new roads to me, which was most enjoyable. 

Its only the 2nd time I've cycled the Humber Bridge - the first being in 1981 just after it had opened. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/159564509 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2024, 03:50:43 pm »
ACME Dynamite Allsorts had a good ride:

Negatives first: one deflation; one chain un-shipped; horrible traffic jam through Mildenhall; just missed the Windmill Café at Warboys and Greggs at Spalding services; too early for breakfast at McDonalds.

Pluses: worked well as a very mixed team (one trike, one fixed,  two normal randonneurs and the Deliveroo Special); the wind was mostly in our favour, with the exception of about 40km across the Fens when it was at its strongest; not too much rain on Friday; plently of wildlife (March hare, two barn owls, deer, dawn chorus in Scunthorpe - though no blast-furnace joining the performance this time).

It was colder than expected overnight, though I think all had enough extra layers - but were fortunate that the girl on lonely duty at Barton Shell garage let us in to warm up!

Various train hassles to get home, nothing new there then ...

How did everyone else get on?

« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2024, 04:30:08 pm »
Good wind assisted start, with a few rain showers blowing through.  Met Richard Bragg’s team on the St Ives mediaeval bridge. Slow through the hills of Rutland but lovely last light and sunset. My gears decided I could only have the bottom 4 cogs on my cassette. Low cadence big gear up the hills it was. Dave did good towing efforts for a few team members. An owl and some red kites. Met an Arrow team going opposite way here “See you in York!”. I was shivering at our 7pm stop and glad to get my night layers on and get going, after which was fine. 

Extended stop at Melton Mowbray Wetherspoons for warmth , hot food and sleep for some to recover. Dave either had a problem with his front light or it needed charging. Either way the stop gave him enough time to sort it. I had the chicken curry, but Graeme’s pizza he got after me, looked tasty. It was eaten  in no time. 

Some last rain after dark that we weren’t expecting. Graeme had a puncture around midnight. Howard and Yasmin being the slower members went on to our next control Lincoln McDs.  Dave, Graeme and I weren’t too far behind arriving. Some of the team had a bit of shut eye here.  Howard got a puncture leaving Lincoln, up onto the ridge, and Graeme got the dozies.  We had to warn Graeme a few times about almost exiting onto the verge . He was advised to try and ride to left if the white line as a marker. Dave had him sit to his right in that position for a while and kept him awake through talking. A regroup in Kirton on Lindsey.  Early morning light on the Humber bridge.  The group was riding too slow for a Premier Inn breakfast the other side. They wouldn’t even let Dave get a coffee. A decision was made to get going to have the best chance of success. We sat in the warmth of reception for about 15 mins before heading onwards.  Some of the team were struggling to hit 20 km/h moving. The B road past the Yorkshire Maze was rough as anything.  I’m pleased to say the whole team made it.

Personally I had a fairly even ride with no significant dozies or appetite issues.  We did become a bit catatonic later on at the finish as sleep deprivation kicked in.  York council need to ban cars from in and around the centre. Complete nightmare getting to station and got off and walked in the end.  No problems with train and John Jackson got on train without a bike booking after earlier problems with trains. Since we had three of the four bike spaces, a non problem. John told me of how his ride on Tomsk’s team had gone plus we discussed the “joys” of being an organiser.

Yasmin full of interesting information about the places we were passing through, from mediaeval chapels on bridges to where the gun powder plot members are alleged to have met. Her first arrow and a successful one, very well done.

We were three geared road bikes, a racing trike (Dave), and recumbent (me).

Happy with my routing but I’d likely stick on bigger roads after Melton Mowbray as some were a bit gravelly in the dark.  Plus an alternate to the B road past Yorkshire maze as the surface is now just awful in a lot of places.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2024, 05:40:29 pm »

Plus an alternate to the B road past Yorkshire maze as the surface is now just awful in a lot of places.

Yes myself and Howard talked about this at the finish.  Perhaps the Planets cycle path & Bishthorpe or the even the A64 bike path and Tadcaster Rd might be better (though not the former if you are tight for time).  My ride to the station was similarly irksome with more close passes in a mile than in the arrow. 

« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:10:09 pm »
FYI -The Selby railway path is tarmac all the way to York and they have even flattened out the tree root plagued stretch alonside the A64.
Go all the way up to Skeldergate bridge , go under the bridge then sharp left to go over the river and you're on the right side of the road for the short hop to the Postern Gate
I use it quite regularly on my DIY 200. It's only if you want to get right across York that it is a slower option than the roads.