Author Topic: Mersey Roads '09  (Read 37524 times)

Re: Mersey Roads '09
« Reply #125 on: 26 July, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »
No updates from the 24 yet? Looked like fairly grim weather for it.

Didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but did manage to see it through for ~350 miles.

Ian H seemed to be going very well out there.

AC

Just got home. Having difficulty with climbing steps and getting in or out of chairs. I amused myself on the ride by shouting insults at passing Scotsmen (and was rewarded afterwards with a big wet kiss from Mr Megajoules). The timekeeper reckoned 412 miles. I'm amazed that he could tell me given the complications of the various repeated bits of the course. In fact the whole organisation is hugely impressive.

A big thank-you to my helpers: Sarah, Robin, Elly and Elaine.

gonzo

« Reply #126 on: 27 July, 2009, 09:15:37 am »
Congrats to you all, you nutters!

« Reply #127 on: 27 July, 2009, 09:19:11 am »
21   Andrew Cox   Cardiff Byways RCC         384.028   210   05:21:02      29               82.9%

I guess I mis-counted.   :thumbsup:

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #128 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:37:00 pm »
Took a ride up to Prees to watch the event on Saturday and riding the section from Shawbirch (Telford) then back again over the same roads later.

Although the organisation was first class as usual, I was absolutely appalled at the way some motorists were driving.  The worst that I saw was someone driving on the wrong side of a section of traffic calming central verges and almost forcing a rider off the road travelling in the opposite direction.

Other motorists were coming past riders far too closely.

I couldnt wait to get off this section of road at Shawbirch by which time I was beginning to feel like a nervous wreck!

I would suggest that perhaps the organisers could put a couple of official observers in place to take the vehicle registration numbers of offending motorists and pass them on to the police as soon as possible in future.

I was contemplating riding this event next year, but im not too sure that I want to now.

I just hope everyone survived alright.

« Reply #129 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:00:21 pm »
Hi Jethro,

Thought I saw you out there, but my recognition was a bit delayed.  I wouldn't say that I had many memorable brushes with motorists.  The worst bit was probably coming back to the finishing circuit on the A41 where I got cut up at one of the roundabouts, but it was easy to anticipate.  My only other brushes were a few artics that passed closer than I'd have liked and some beeping chavs (maybe my fault for wearing Byways pink).  Due to the spread out nature of the field though, it may well be that others had a very experience.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #130 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »
During the day was a bit hairy. A couple of trucks were pretty bad. At night though, most of the traffic was support vehicles, and with some sleepy riders weaving across the lane in the wee hours, it was a good thing.

I started off great, 100 miles in 5h40m, 200miles at 12hrs, 400km in 16 hrs, then suddenly limping along at 10-11mph......

Had an hour off the bike and ate, then went out again. Speed was still ~10mph over the next hour. My legs felt fine, I had eaten enough, I just couldn't make my legs push the pedals. My heart rate was < 100.

Being unsupported and it raining, it was too easy to DNF and not ride through it. Great ride Andy and Ian. And thanks so much to RT and family for looking after my stuff, and an awesome distance too.

« Reply #131 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »
A few photos here.

« Reply #132 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »
...The worst that I saw was someone driving on the wrong side of a section of traffic calming central verges and almost forcing a rider off the road travelling in the opposite direction...

That was me. It looked worse than it was. The car slowed, the driver waved an apology. I  yelled 'prat!', probably unecessarily.  Other than that there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #133 on: 27 July, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »
Just got home.  

Like Disrail, I started off great, first 6 hours was a dream and I had to tell myself not to push too hard.  2nd quarter I messed about too much off the bike (lights leggings etc for night time), 3rd quarter I was putting the same effort in as the first six hours when I was milling it but the bike computer told another story - that I was treading water at about 12mph.  Sore neck meant I wasnt using the aero bars as much as I should have been towards the end.  Lost heart a bit about 19 hours when I realised that the average speed required in the remaining time to cover 600k was 25kph then 26kph, 27kph, 28kph........and then it got really wet and blustery.  

Traffic wasn't a worry for me at any stage even on the A41 heading up to the finish.    

Superbly organised event from the most friendly bunch and great value at £15.  

I'll be back for more next year.

« Reply #134 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:40:11 pm »
what fun!

thanks Blackburnrod for the results and all the hard work that it takes to get them. Much appreciated

Could we have more sunshine and less rain next year please?

Good result Ian, and an age cat win too. Well done.

« Reply #135 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:50:12 pm »

Good result Ian, and an age cat win too. Well done.

Oh! We had to leave early because Sarah's younger one had gone down with chicken-pox.  However, I'd be more impressed with Ben Feilden's ride.

But, thanks. You did pretty well yourself.

« Reply #136 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:54:11 pm »
have been practicing riding at 20 mph

dead pleased with my 100 time 4.59.58 almost bang on!

maybe if I practice riding at 25 mph and keep it going for the whole race.......................

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #137 on: 28 July, 2009, 12:13:25 pm »
Found this from Charlotte's report of last year's 24:
We caught up with McNasty soon enough. .. To describe his style as smooth would be to lie horribly, though.  His pedaling style produced a sort of lurching wobble on each revolution .
Having just had The Man Himself as my tandem stoker on this year's event, my feet hurt, my ar$e hurts, but my god so do my arms and shoulders from trying to keep the machine pointing vaguely in the right direction! It wasn't always a "lurching wobble" as Charlotte says, sometimes he kept me amused by changing into a wobbling lurch.

Charlotte also said of McNasty:
Although he was a force to be reckoned with in his day, he's very much the tortoise to the fast boys' hares in the MR24 nowadays.
True enough, compared to some of the younger riders, but he is still strong enough to push me round  for a provisional 371 miles. Given our average age would entitle us to the Old Age Pension, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

This was my first TT and I didn't really know what to expect. As one of only two tandem crews, our grip on the Silver Medal tightened when the other crew caught us for a minute within the first three miles. Oh well, at that point I decided we were going to be lanterne rouge, so I just settled into a "let's get on with this" mode. It gradually dawned on me that it didn't matter how hard we rode, we weren't going to finish until 14.21 on Sunday. McNasty, to be fair, was a great riding companion and it occurred to me that this must be a very lonely ride on a solo. He never complained or disagreed once: Me, "George, should we stop this time round?" George, "Aye, if ye want." Me, "George, will we just batter on this time round?" George, "Aye, if ye want." Me, "George, I'm going to drop it to the middle ring now." George, "Aye, if ye want." etc etc

We seemed to be lucky that neither of had a bad patch or suffered any visits from Mr Sleepy. We were supported fantastically well by Mrs eck and Megajoules, so a huge Thank You to both of them. And Chapeau to Mr Megajoules for riding through a bad first half and finishing strongly. If I'm interpreting the results correctly, he was the only rider who rode further in the second 12 hours than in the first.

Given that we'd had only three pre-nuptial trial rides together, totalling no more than 150 miles, McNasty and I seemed to get away with it. Slightly disappointed that our distance is less than 3k short of 600 - our computer showed 608k after 24 hours but, hey ho.

I don't remember any problems with traffic, certainly no deliberate aggression. The marshalling and encouragement on the road were fantastic. The sight of riders approaching in the night was quite awesome, especially when two or three were close together - more like a scene from Star Wars. The weather wasn't too dreadful - the rain didn't start until daylight on Sunday, and only lasted about three or four hours.

Didn't meet as many audax types as I expected, but it was good to have a quick chat with Ian H, and to meet our pals from the Emerald Isle.

Yes, still a bit tender today, but I'm glad I gave it a go. So, George, 600k next year?  ;) :-*

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #138 on: 28 July, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »
...So, George, 600k next year?  ;) :-*

I assume the answer will be-
"Aye, if ye want."

« Reply #139 on: 28 July, 2009, 01:16:17 pm »
There is a CD available of photos of all riders and various marshalls for £2 inc P+P.Contact  David-goodfellow@tiscali.co.uk

« Reply #140 on: 29 July, 2009, 12:29:39 pm »
There is a CD available of photos of all riders and various marshalls for £2 inc P+P.Contact  David-goodfellow@tiscali.co.uk

Address doesn't work.

« Reply #141 on: 29 July, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »
Try this:  David_goodfellow@tiscali.co.uk (Pasted from my contacts and worked 2 days ago!)

« Reply #142 on: 01 August, 2009, 07:08:04 am »

I would suggest that perhaps the organisers could put a couple of official observers in place to take the vehicle registration numbers of offending motorists and pass them on to the police as soon as possible in future.

Maybe you'd like to volunteer?
There are only just enough people to marshall the event and it's always a struggle to find even the bare minimum. Until there are enough marshalls to run the event comfortably, then I think it will be some time before we have enough people to act as observers.

« Reply #143 on: 01 August, 2009, 08:05:36 am »
The timekeeper reckoned 412 miles. I'm amazed that he could tell me given the complications of the various repeated bits of the course. In fact the whole organisation is hugely impressive.

They've been doing it for years and have a good system going. I've ridden a dozen Mersey 24s and still am impressed by how well organised it all is.

However, I'd be more impressed with Ben Feilden's ride.

Was Ben Feilden the one with the bad arm/shoulder?

I thought that Sean Childs ride was impressive. He looked a bit more solid than John Warnock and had a bit more left on the finish circuit. John Warnock rode a good ride and recovered very well from a bit of a slow patch (slow for him anyway) in the small hours.
I wouldn't be surprized to see Sean cack 500 miles if he rides next year. Maybe if John Warnock rides again too we will have the first 24 hour to have 2 riders ride over 500 miles? John Warnock get faster every year by a few miles, just as Nik Gadiner did.
I though that Louise Clowes (no. 16) was very impressive too. She had a very bad night and I saw her set off from Epperly feed station with about 6-8 hours to go. She looked very tired and was very uncomfortable and she did very well to keep going but mainained an excellent riding style.
Talking of riding styles, no. 66, a 22 year old Jonathan Shubert looked as good as Wilko even if not as fast. But it wasn't enough to get him to the finishing circuit.
Mc Nasty looked like a different rider on the back of the tandem. Maybe ridng on a tandem with Eck is meat to be.

« Reply #144 on: 01 August, 2009, 09:59:36 am »

Was Ben Feilden the one with the bad arm/shoulder?

He was the only older than me to go further. 11 yrs older.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #145 on: 01 August, 2009, 03:14:14 pm »
Mc Nasty looked like a different rider on the back of the tandem. Maybe ridng on a tandem with Eck is meat to be.

:hand:  :-X

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #146 on: 05 August, 2009, 08:22:49 am »
100s of photos here: http://www.kimroyphotography.com/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=22734. Maybe these are the official ones?
They are in alphabetical order of riders' names.