Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 277875 times)

border-rider

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #25 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:01:13 pm »
I found Catherine Tate both irritating and disengaged - like someone shouting her lines through a megaphone from outside in the street.  In a really grating voice :(

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #26 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:05:38 pm »
I found Catherine Tate both irritating and disengaged - like someone shouting her lines through a megaphone from outside in the street.  In a really grating voice :(

yeahh - but are you bovverd?

Sorry - can't watch C T without seeing that character!
Owner of a languishing Langster

Kathy

« Reply #27 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »
Not usually watching TV, I haven't seen Catherine Tate before (other than in The Runaway Bride), but I am sick to death of people saying "AmIBovvered" in a nasal tone, and then laughing at their own wit.* I therefore wasn't expecting great things from her, and found myself pleasantly suprised - she's a better actor than Billie Piper (she can do at least three emotions), and attractive without being as scrawny as the last two companions.

I'm happy to keep watching.

:)

*Edit - no disrespect to Urban_Biker - I wrote this before his post. :-[

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #28 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:08:25 pm »
I've never seen her comedy stuff so I didn't have so many preconceptions. I was pleasantly surprised. Good stuff. Long may it continue.

Edit: Ooh er! 2 of us pleasantly surprised. Spooky!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

gonzo

« Reply #29 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:12:52 pm »
CT didn't annoy me nearly as much as I expected which was good. Most comeians can play more than one role, but stereotyping them is a bad idea. Look at 'mr bean' for example.

All in all, it's not as good as Torchwood was, although I'm not sure that'll be so good after what happened at the end of the last series.

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:15:27 pm »
I think it'll get better as the series goes on.  The first episode is often a  a bit long on plot development and short on intelligent story

« Reply #31 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
I think all you boys are interested in is seeing a pretty face, innit?  ;)

I'm sure if David Tennant wasn't so cute there would be fewer female fans too...
David Tennant is cute?   ???

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #32 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:52:15 am »

*Edit - no disrespect to Urban_Biker - I wrote this before his post. :-[

This is what I get for being lazy and attempting obvious gags.  I'd just like to confirm that I am not at all bothered by your comments ;D

I do like Tennant though. One of the best Doctor's to date really. Its a shame the Doctor Who scriptwriters can't manage to avoid absolute silliness through. I mean what is it with the silly cute noises the little fat monsters were coming out with? I presume you will be able to buy little cuddly fat monsters at Woolys within weeks. I guess LEE is right about it being kids TV.

Was Dr Who silly like this in the Tom Baker days? I don't remember it being like that - but then I was just a kid myself at the time so I suppose I wouldn't have noticed.

As to Catherine Tate; I think she has just been a victim of her own comic character. A bit like Harry Enfield and Loadsamoney. It will take a long time for people to forget her catch pharse and I bet she regrets inflicting it on the public already.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #33 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:56:41 am »
I thought the silly cute noises coming from the silly cute fat aliens were great.  :D

I also think Catherine Tate did rather well.  Unlike former assistants, she doesn't play it as the Sultry Assistant.TM  Presumably as a result of doing so much character comedy, she is happy to let her character be a bit pathetic and not very glamorous, which I think works better than the Permanently Alluring Assistant type.  :)

« Reply #34 on: 07 April, 2008, 12:10:56 pm »
I don't think Bonnie Langford did "sultry assistant" either :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #35 on: 07 April, 2008, 01:27:07 pm »

...gods, and she was bloody irritating.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:11:38 pm »

<cough>

Confession...when I was a younger volio, well, I would have. </guilty pleasure>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:39:57 pm »

<cough>

Due, that's  :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

urban_biker

« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:46:33 am »

<cough>

Some thoughts should always stay within the dark recesses of your own mind  ;D

urban_biker

« Reply #39 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:51:21 am »
I thought the silly cute noises coming from the silly cute fat aliens were great.  :D

I get that, I really do. But its only one small step away from Bertie Basset aliens and then we're getting into dangerous territory  ;)

Si

« Reply #40 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:33:31 am »
Don't care about who the actors were, I just wanna lard monster (baby Adipose) - they so cute  :thumbsup:

Back on topic.  I thought CT was OK.  Not sure whether she can keep it up without the act getting a bit jaded though - atleast with the other two they were considered a little more attractive (not that she isn't - just not in a movie star way) so they didn't have to rely on comedy for their place on the show.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #41 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:40:20 pm »

<cough>

You should be locked up.  However, Ace was a companion worth considering.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #42 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:57:25 pm »

Back on topic.  I thought CT was OK.  Not sure whether she can keep it up without the act getting a bit jaded though - atleast with the other two they were considered a little more attractive (not that she isn't - just not in a movie star way) so they didn't have to rely on comedy for their place on the show.

Because obviously it would be ridiculous to write meaningful parts for women which contribute to the plot, and then cast actresses for their talent and ability...  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Si

« Reply #43 on: 11 April, 2008, 07:58:08 pm »

Because obviously it would be ridiculous to write meaningful parts for women which contribute to the plot, and then cast actresses for their talent and ability...  ::-)

Only reflecting the Whovian chat m'dear, no need to roll your eyes at me (unless you are aditioning for the part too?  ;)).  If it twere up to me Rose would still be there, not because I think her hot, but because I think that she really did bring charracter to the part rather than just being a screamer or a looker.

Glad to know, likewise, that you appriciate the Drs for their acting ability  ;):

Quote from: Kirst
I wish it was still Christopher Eccleston because he is hawt and David Tennant is all ferretyfaced but no matter

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #44 on: 11 April, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »
I wasn't rolling my eyes at you so much as just rolling my eyes at general media hypocrisy. And I did say later that I think Chris Eccleston is a fantastic actor.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:24:59 pm »
I think it'll get better as the series goes on.  The first episode is often a  a bit long on plot development and short on intelligent story

Prescient  :)

Tonight's was much better, more complex, and Ms Tate was a lot better

« Reply #46 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:36:18 pm »
Yeah, I'm definitely warming to her, and her "Celtic" accent. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #47 on: 12 April, 2008, 11:14:47 pm »
She was rather good wasn't she?  Superb effects too! 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #48 on: 12 April, 2008, 11:56:35 pm »
I thought this weeks episode was great, next week the ood are back with their scary balls!

« Reply #49 on: 13 April, 2008, 12:10:31 am »
I just find it totally uninteresting. Maybe I am lacking the background...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse