Author Topic: Brompton Voluntary Recall for Bottom Bracket  (Read 4785 times)

dim

Brompton Voluntary Recall for Bottom Bracket
« on: 28 September, 2017, 07:41:16 am »
VOLUNTARY RECALL NOTICE FAG Bottom Bracket cartridge BB66 (April 2014 – May 2017)

https://www.brompton.com/recall
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Re: Brompton Voluntary Recall for Bottom Bracket
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:40:04 am »
Hi dim.  Although I don't have a Brompton I personally would be interested in knowing exactly what the failure in the Bottom Bracket Cartridge amounts to.

I recentlly had a rather unpleasant experience with a seller off of E'bay when I purchased a 103mm bottom bracket only to find after a three week wait for it to arrive that it was faulty.

The spindle was rather tight and repeatedly clicked when turned with ones fingers.

I had several attemps to get it either changed or to be refunded. After several offers that did not add-up I told the seller that I would refer it to E'bay Customer Services and also that I had not yet put Feedback onto the site.

I was refunded in full a few days later.

Albeit the cartridge was made somewhere in the Far East.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
From reports elsewhere I think it was spindle failures - I saw at least one photo of someone who had their chainset drop off.

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2017, 12:08:08 pm »
Hi dim.  Although I don't have a Brompton I personally would be interested in knowing exactly what the failure in the Bottom Bracket Cartridge amounts to.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/28/brompton-recalls-nearly-150000-folding-bicycles-axle-failures

Sounds like standard spindle failure rather than anything else.

I recentlly had a rather unpleasant experience with a seller off of E'bay when I purchased a 103mm bottom bracket only to find after a three week wait for it to arrive that it was faulty.

Was it not available from the likes of SJC, Wiggle, Ribble or even the local bike shop?  While some folk on e-bay might be cheaper, I would much rather use the LBS (who will price match) or even the more reputable online retailers.

Anyway, jus arranging for my Brompton to have a new BB fitted.

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2017, 12:56:36 pm »
Hi Veloman. I had looked firstly at my LBS and they did not carry such a short one and the only one that I came-up with in the UK was really stupid money - I am on a pension and fixed income so every penny really does count.

In the end I did order from an E'bay UK source and only to find that it was made in Taiwan but ended-up paying a mere 31p extra for it.

The first search did not show what the later search showed albeity there was a three+ weeks gap between.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »
No worries.  Glad all worked out.

Brompton booked in for next Tuesday.

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2017, 04:12:52 pm »
From a mechanic on LFGSS, if you've not booked in already you may be in for a bit of a wait - apparently lots of retailers are now out of their stock of Brompton BBs, and the parts themselves are on back-order...

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »
From a mechanic on LFGSS, if you've not booked in already you may be in for a bit of a wait - apparently lots of retailers are now out of their stock of Brompton BBs, and the parts themselves are on back-order...

Correct.

Shop where I am going only had 20 in stock and my name is on one of them as I phoned and booked-in.  No doubt many folk will look on the website for dealers etc and just pop along.  many will be disappointed.  I went for the 'Recommended' one rather than using my LBS that is a dealer and has them in shop.  Decided I would go with the more experienced provider.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2017, 09:20:12 pm »
Other BBs are available  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:11:27 pm »
Other BBs are available  ;)

Agreed. But Brompton are giving me a new one and fitting it for free.  I like that!

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2017, 07:07:48 am »

I went in to a central London shop on the 28th, the date dim posted the OP, and was told the wait for parts was 2-3 weeks. Wouldn't the "in stock" ones be the faulty version?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:04:34 am »
I went in to a central London shop on the 28th, the date dim posted the OP, and was told the wait for parts was 2-3 weeks. Wouldn't the "in stock" ones be the faulty version?

I asked the shop that and they said they had a consignment sent prior to the announcement.

Also, the recall is date specific which suggests the more recent parts are OK or they have changed the part/supplier.

So far as I am aware it is not simply a 'like for like' swap.

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2017, 04:56:00 pm »
And new bottom bracket fitted in the time it took me to browse around shop and decide there was nothing else I needed.

3 other Bromptons in workshop for replacement part and a couple of phone calls along with a drop-in while I was waiting.  Advice was they were waiting for some more replacements to be delivered and they would arrange replacement once parts arrived.

Replacement logged with Brompton and e-Mail sent to confirm work completed and thanked for me responding to recall notice.

Painless exercise for me!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:07:50 pm »

Are Brompton paying the local bike shops to fit the new parts?

I think mine is in the in the faulty time period, but I got it as an aftermarket part from Brilliant bikes. Not sure what to do about it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #14 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:22:17 am »
No idea who is paying what and don't care as it is nil cost to me. All the shop wanted wa an e-Mail address so Brompton can confirmation with me that my frame number has had the remedial work completed which they duly did.

Also, I purchased the Brompton second hand and no proof of purchase or ownership required. Arranged booking by phone for date of work to be completed, arrived with Brompton, work carried out, smiled and left.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:08:55 pm »
Removing a FAG can be a nightmare; despite being plastic, they like to seize in position and grease may actually make things worse.  I had to drill and cut one out once.  One design flaw is that the "cups", being plastic, munge as soon as you need to apply any serious torque with the metal removal tool.  Forget putting the tool in a vice and twisting the frame - they'll crumble long before you get that far.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 10 October, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »

Are Brompton paying the local bike shops to fit the new parts?

I think mine is in the in the faulty time period, but I got it as an aftermarket part from Brilliant bikes. Not sure what to do about it.

J

Yes they are, had mine done while I waited this morning.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
Two book-ins aborted at drop off due to non arrival of the part + one walk out non booking due to acknowledgement of there being zero chance of the part arriving.
Not fussed, it's not a catestrophic fail risk and my bb is at the youngest end of the affected range.
My tolerance will fall when I'm no longer working 200 meters from the Evans wot flogged it.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:29:36 pm »
Does anyone have a spare plastic end cap?