Author Topic: Road Muck  (Read 3298 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Road Muck
« on: 14 August, 2008, 10:12:27 am »
One thing I did notice when riding in Londonshire was that when it rained my bike remained clean. This was something of a shock to me, because in Edinburgh the roads seem to be paved with grime, grot, dust, muck and mank that, when it gets wet, is just waiting to cling to a bike.

I cleaned the Peacemaker last weekend. This is what it looked like this morning.

It's getting a clean and service again this weekend. God I hate this weather...  >:(

Re: Road Muck
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:17:11 am »
Well if you will run it without mudguards  ::-)

;) ;) ;) ;)

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:18:21 am »

;) ;) ;) ;)

Hah! Well, there's one on the back (and you can just about make out the layer of crud on the seatstays and seat tube).

:P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:25:36 am »
And a white bike at that! ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2008, 10:35:12 am »
And a white bike at that! ;)

Granted not the best colour for a daily commuter...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »
I had a white bike.  Once.*  Perhaps white isn't the best colour for an off-road bike.

I had a white car.  Once.**

* Never again.

** Never again.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2008, 08:19:53 pm »
One thing I did notice when riding in Londonshire was that when it rained my bike remained clean. This was something of a shock to me, because in Edinburgh the roads seem to be paved with grime, grot, dust, muck and mank that, when it gets wet, is just waiting to cling to a bike.

That's because in London all the grime is inhaled before it reaches bike level, allowing the formation of London bogeys.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2008, 08:23:55 pm »
The stuff you get in rural areas is sometimes called "Belgian toothpaste" - an unholy mixture of water, gritty mud and cowshit.  It's probably quite good at removing smoker's tartar if the E. coli don't get you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2008, 10:03:42 pm »
The light blue of Sid my Pomp isn't a terribly good colour for a commuter either, but On-One didn't give me a lot of choice.  Alice the Brompton is a much better British racing green, which shows dirt less.  At least the mudguards on Sid are black, so they show less effect from the grime.
Actually, it is rocket science.

bobajobrob

« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2008, 01:54:37 am »
I think I cleaned my fixed once. Bikes look better with some dirt on them IMHO.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2008, 08:10:26 am »
I find it doesn't take long before the chain starts to sound unhappy, and then there's the grinding of the rear rim (I'm going to need a new one for the tourer very soon, assuming the wear indicators are accurate).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:19:57 pm »
I had a white bike.  Once.*  Perhaps white isn't the best colour for an off-road bike.

I had a white car.  Once.**

* Never again.

** Never again.

hmmm I like white, love my white bar tape, well loved the whiteness before it went manky after 2 minutes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:02:04 pm »

Hah! Well, there's one on the back (and you can just about make out the layer of crud on the seatstays and seat tube).

:P
You could try a proper mudguard.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles