Author Topic: National Cycle Collection  (Read 1517 times)

clarion

• Tyke
National Cycle Collection
« on: 14 August, 2012, 08:04:37 am »
In Llandrindod Wells, there is a delightful little museum, housed in the 'Automobile Palace', ironically yet appropriately once you know the history.  They have the most magnificent collection of bikes and trikes, going right back into history, and pretty much up to the present day.

There's a good display on Eileen Sheridan's career, and a lot of documents about Flying Gates (a perverse passion of mine).

The only downside is that the limited space means the bikes are packed pretty close together, and the photos behind can be a bit hard to see.  Nonetheless, there were enough items of interest to my avelopic (but nostalgic) parents that they didn't get bored while I wandered round taking loads of photos.

If I go again, I shall make sure I leave at least an extra hour on top...

More here

Museum website
Getting there...

Re: National Cycle Collection
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:20:54 am »
It's a fascinating place. Note that the venue for this year's AUK agm and reunion is in Llandrindod Wells.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:24:29 am »
Is it?  Well, I imagine they may well be very busy! ;D

Well worth going.  But try not to laugh at the awful mannequins.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »
Bit more bike history, this time in Covent Garden:

Words aren't clear (phone camera I'm afraid), but it tells of the first British bikes (hobby horses) produced at that address.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:08:29 pm »
AUK AGM & Reunion have been held in Llandrindod several times. It's been my favourite. I think AUKs got free museum entry.
Great place!