Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 78152 times)

Re: A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #200 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:41:32 am »
good luck :)
nam dan on fb

hillbilly

« Reply #201 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:56:22 am »
Erm, I may be the only one in the dark on this, but what's REDACTED?

« Reply #202 on: 09 June, 2015, 12:15:10 pm »
Old word referring to documents that have been censored. The bits removed (or coloured over) are redacted.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hillbilly

« Reply #203 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »
Ah, I thought it was a technical term (e.g. a mode on the GPS tracker) rather than the actual word itself  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #204 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:25:04 pm »
So just got to get results of last scan/lung test prior to Restart of the HAM'R on the 18th June (earliest start date poss).  Some observations:- 

Ten things NOT to do when you are chasing 15 separate WR's.

1. Don't move into new accommodation the night before you start your WR attempts.

2. If you fail 1. above, at least make sure that the Electricity, Gas and (I'm not joking) Water is connected.

3. If you fail 1. and 2. above, don't delay in taking up the Real Estate Agents offer 'to do all he can'. - immediately go around to his home (It took me over two weeks) early on a Sunday  morning, put your foot in the door when he opens it and make a B line for the Washing Machine.  Then carefully explain to Mrs Real Estate Agent why you are in her laundry room with two weeks worth of smelly bike nicks and leave her to deal with the by now cowering husband.

This ^^^^ has caused Brown Drink to come out of my nose at high speed :thumbsup:  GWS.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #205 on: 09 June, 2015, 02:00:20 pm »
Erm, I may be the only one in the dark on this, but what's REDACTED?
Its a small town in Virginia on the road between Washington and Quantico.
(or it should be)

Go for it Miles.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #206 on: 09 June, 2015, 02:08:11 pm »
Given that USAnia has communities named Greenbackville, Accident, Duck, Onancock, Intercourse and Truth Or Consequences it would not be a surprise.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #207 on: 09 June, 2015, 03:27:32 pm »
3. If you fail 1. and 2. above, don't delay in taking up the Real Estate Agents offer 'to do all he can'. - immediately go around to his home (It took me over two weeks) early on a Sunday  morning, put your foot in the door when he opens it and make a B line for the Washing Machine.  Then carefully explain to Mrs Real Estate Agent why you are in her laundry room with two weeks worth of smelly bike nicks and leave her to deal with the by now cowering husband.
;D This alone deserves a medal.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #208 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:56:49 am »
Old word referring to documents that have been censored. The bits removed (or coloured over) are redacted.

I know what redacted means but still don't understand the meaning in this context...

« Reply #209 on: 10 June, 2015, 10:50:08 am »

I know what redacted means but still don't understand the meaning in this context...
It means Miles didn't what to state the location or names as that would be libel (and aggressive rather than funny). Think of the bleeps in a comedy program.
I like Mile's [REDACTED] sense of humour, he seems a good humoured [REDACTED].
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #210 on: 10 June, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »
Thanks - I get it now!

« Reply #211 on: 11 June, 2015, 04:26:57 am »
Docs gave me the all clear this AM to Restart on the 18th, six (6) days to go to restart date - earliest date possible under UMCA rules.

This news was much appreciated by the team (see below) as I've not been the best to be around for the past couple of weeks.

Team Audax Australia:

Peter 'Affirmative Action (he rides a Recumbent but we don't like to talk about it) Man' Mathews - former National El Presidente, Audax Australia & Chief WR data checking & transfer to UMCA.

Barry 'Chatham House Rules' Moore - Chief Auditor of all WR data.

Phil 'The Pimp' Bellette - Sponsorship & Chef de Mission, former Mr Audax Alpine Classic, currently residing in Northern Hemisphere (does not ride a moped).

Andy 'Oliver - Please Sir Can I Have' Moore - Chief Sprocket Man & Bike Builder.

Sally Rodgers 'Oh Yes She Does' - Social Media & Gatekeeper.

Miles Smith - Dumb Piece of Meat that pushes Pedals.

« Reply #212 on: 11 June, 2015, 05:13:47 am »
 :thumbsup:  Ongoing good wishes Miles.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #213 on: 11 June, 2015, 07:06:56 am »
Excellent news, good luck Miles  :thumbsup:

Quote from: miles smith
currently residing in Northern Hemisphere (does not ride a moped)"
;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #214 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:46:10 am »
Pleased to hear it Miles.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #215 on: 11 June, 2015, 11:24:37 am »
Splendid news - good luck for the restart, and hi to your team!

« Reply #216 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »
Nice one.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #217 on: 12 June, 2015, 07:17:53 am »
Best wishes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #218 on: 12 June, 2015, 08:43:56 am »
Be careful. Go around describing yourself like that and you'll end up on a barbie.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #219 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
Be careful. Go around describing yourself like that and you'll end up on a barbie.

I think he's distancing himself from this

Please team miles, get it together.  Good luck on Thursday and for the following 364 days (that's the right number, despite the leap year?).

« Reply #220 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
Hi jefmcg.

You are correct we HAM'R guys don't get the extra day in a leap year.

Yesterday were testing the Garmin 510 and 500 data collection and upload was working OK.  Given the info in your post you can see the test results.

Several probs for this, the first being we uploaded only via GSM phone network previously and this time we gave it a go via WIFI network (Domino's Pizza Port Melbourne).

No truth in the rummer, that I'm starting right now, that I stuffed up the upload so I could go a second Large deep pan pizza.   

As we will not be running a concurrent challenge we just want to ensure that all previously encountered 'issues' are sorted, by using the upload to the aborted challenge info reprository.  See 'things not to do' post made earlier. 

« Reply #221 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »
Blimy - just catching up and bluddy hell!  You were going great guns Miles, but glad to hear you are restarting and wishing you the best of luck.  18th is nearly here already  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #222 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:21:37 pm »
Good luck Miles

« Reply #223 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:30:15 pm »
Good Luck with the restart Miles.   How about getting an E-trex as well as the other GPS units as they are very basic but work well, with a long battery life.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #224 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:32:59 pm »
Several probs for this, the first being we uploaded only via GSM phone network previously and this time we gave it a go via WIFI network (Domino's Pizza Port Melbourne).

No truth in the rummer, that I'm starting right now, that I stuffed up the upload so I could go a second Large deep pan pizza.   

Proof, if it was needed, that you aren't a Melbourne native.  It's not really pizza, and you should never eat Dominos pizza in Melbourne except in a genuine emergency.  It would be like drinking Starbucks ... please tell me you don't do that! 

(good luck)