Author Topic: Garmin Edge 20 suitability?  (Read 2947 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Garmin Edge 20 suitability?
« on: 07 April, 2017, 11:29:40 am »
Newbie GPS alert :-[

I'm having problems getting a brand new Cateye Slim to function on a 20" Moulton TSR, so I started to think a lot (painfully). Would one Edge 20 be a good bet to replace all my normal wheel sensored cordless computers  - have 6 bikes each with different wheel circumferences ::-).

Slightly concerned about the power hungriness of the GPS system - needing to be charged so frequently. I ride nearly 365 days of the year and approx 3 hours a day. Obviously the Cateye's batteries last for at least a year.

Would I be able to upload routes from cycle.travel and use the Edge 20 for route following - this has some imaginary appeal?

But basically I just need a clock, speedo and odometer. Is the display suitable for someone who wears reading glasses, but obviously not on the bike?

Apologies if the information is already 'out there' - but I've not been able to find it :-[

Re: Garmin Edge 20 suitability?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:03:12 pm »
I've got the 25 - exactly the same except the buttons are a different colour (and it does ANT).  It is a great little computer and will obviously swap between your different wheel sizes without any problem.  3 hours is no problem for the battery - it lasts about 7 or 8 hours (which is not great for long rides).  It does basic route navigation (but I've never used it).  As a wearer of reading glasses I can still see the display fine when it's on the bike (I'm about +3 I think)

BUT the twats at Garmin have made it so that you can only upload routes from their own execrable route planning software.  I also use cycle.travel for route planning and it has a conversion thingy to allow you to convert its files to Garmin-speak as well as other systems but the newer Garmin 20/25s use a subtly different version of their software which means that cycle.travel (and I think other route planning sites) cannot be used.  I get round this by making my mates download it to their older Garmins and I just blame them when we go wrong.

I like it, but the battery life can be a bit of a pain.  Have a look at the Leyzene ones as well, although I would guess that the battery life on that isn't great either due to the small size of the unit. Have you looked at the DCRainmaker website?  He does very comprehensive (and readable) reviews of all the GPS bike computers.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:33:31 pm »
If you want to actually be able to follow routes on the device, but want something with a clear traditional cycle computer-type display, I can highly recommend the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, am very impressed with it: http://uk.wahoofitness.com/Official-Site/ELEMNT-Bolt
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »
Slightly concerned about the power hungriness of the GPS system - needing to be charged so frequently. I ride nearly 365 days of the year and approx 3 hours a day. Obviously the Cateye's batteries last for at least a year.

[...]

But basically I just need a clock, speedo and odometer. Is the display suitable for someone who wears reading glasses, but obviously not on the bike?

GPS devices are great for:
a) data logging
b) navigation

But if you care about neither, they add a whole lot of faff that isn't really worth it for a simple clock and odometer.  Cycle computers are fit-and-forget, apart from the occasional battery replacement and sensor-realignment, while with a GPS you'd have to remove it whenever you lock up the bike so it doesn't get nicked, plus the effort of recharging batteries[1].

I'd persevere with the traditional computer, if the Cateye's rubbish (it appears to be wireless, so that's probably why  :P), find a better one.  TBH, I regard a GPS as something to supplement[2] a traditional bike computer, not a replacement for it.

[1] I'd argue this is *only* effort if you're using it as a replacement for a basic computer.  If you're connecting it to a PC to upload/download routes and logs, then the charging overhead in minimal.
[2] I have bike computers on each bike so they have their own odometers - if you swap a single device around, more discipline is required to work out what miles each bike has done (to keep an eye on tyre wear or whatever).  It also means I've got a clock etc. there when I don't bother with a GPS (eg. because I'm doing the shopping and don't need it to know where to go, and analysing a log to see how lucky I've been with the local traffic lights would be pointless).

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
If you want to actually be able to follow routes on the device, but want something with a clear traditional cycle computer-type display, I can highly recommend the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, am very impressed with it: http://uk.wahoofitness.com/Official-Site/ELEMNT-Bolt

Ooh - that looks very nice!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:22:03 pm »

Ooh - that looks very nice!

It is, best bike computer I've ever used, though the Garmin Edge 8xx models perhaps still are better for navigation, as have better mapping

There's some discussion about the Bolt in this thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102296.0
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:21:21 am »

GPS devices are great for:
a) data logging
b) navigation

But if you care about neither, they add a whole lot of faff that isn't really worth it for a simple clock and odometer.  Cycle computers are fit-and-forget, apart from the occasional battery replacement and sensor-realignment, while with a GPS you'd have to remove it whenever you lock up the bike so it doesn't get nicked, plus the effort of recharging batteries.

I'd persevere with the traditional computer, if the Cateye's rubbish (it appears to be wireless, so that's probably why  :P), find a better one.  TBH, I regard a GPS as something to supplement a traditional bike computer, not a replacement for it.

Thank you Kim - sounds like sensible advice :) My attempt at 'rationalising' the electronic trickery on the entire fleet would indeed increase the faff and require the GPS to be 'recharged' over 180 times a year (every other day). I do come up with some bonkers ideas and wish I could reset my personal default to 'simplicity' mode ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »
I must say that I went for a GPS to increase simplicity as I didn't have to have to wheel magnet and sensor on every bike as well as calibrate it for every bike I have. Charging it at the end of every day seemed a small price to pay. And I suppose I'm a data nerd.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
I must say that I went for a GPS to increase simplicity as I didn't have to have to wheel magnet and sensor on every bike as well as calibrate it for every bike I have. Charging it at the end of every day seemed a small price to pay. And I suppose I'm a data nerd.

Thanks yoav  :) I might not be as bonkers as I thought then?

And forgot to thank Little Jim☟☟☟ for his 'measurable' sighting information :thumbsup:

As a wearer of reading glasses I can still see the display fine when it's on the bike (I'm about +3 I think)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2017, 07:36:03 pm »
I must say that I went for a GPS to increase simplicity as I didn't have to have to wheel magnet and sensor on every bike as well as calibrate it for every bike I have.

That's assuming one computer for all bikes, which is the worst of both worlds (particularly the calibration issue, as I don't think many can cope with more than two different bikes).  I looked into this when I first committed n+1, and discovered that I could by a whole new computer for about the same price as a bracket/sensor harness to use it on a second bike.  If you're going that way, GPS does make more sense, as it avoids the need for sensors[1].

One computer per bike: Fit, calibrate and forget.

GPS for navigation and data nerdery.

[1] Top tip: If you're going for this approach and use a cadence sensor, get an accelerometer-based one that doesn't use a magnet.  And fit it to your shoe, rather than the crank.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2017, 07:23:29 pm »
Can you recharge the Edge 20 during a ride for doing a DIY 200 or 300 , using the correct lead at cafe stops ?

« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:48:14 pm »
Can you recharge the Edge 20 during a ride for doing a DIY 200 or 300 , using the correct lead at cafe stops ?
  Although it doesn't take long to charge (maybe an hour from empty) you might struggle on with a 20/25 on a 300.  Also as soon as you plug it in the charger the device will stop tacking and save that portion of the ride and reset the trip data...
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas