Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 104302 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #700 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:06:48 pm »

locally car hire for a day is about £80 or £60 for a van, and for a weekend is about £200. adding servicing, insurance, VED, MOT and tyres I probably spend about £2k a year keeping my car going, that pays for a lot of hire occasions.

And you need to get to the car hire location, too. Out in the sticks that's not always easy (unless you can put your bike straight into the hire car)

as I say, not for everyone, but the car hire locations are only one or two miles away, and in any case I would cycle there, then put the bike in the car when they hand the car over. A good check it meets my needs, no point hiring a car that won't take a bike.

With the price of cars having gone up massively over the last few years I object to buying another one. the list price of a focus is now nearly £30k  :o. so we are looking at £6k a year to buy a car (paid off over 5 years) I just can't justify that sort of cost for something I don't think is essential. Yes I could buy used, but I bought my previous car new in 2014. even if I assume I can put down 10k from selling my current car it's still 4k a year. how many times can I hire a car now?
In light of this discussion I have now booked train tickets to Manningtree for asparagus an strawberries tomorrow. to continue in seeing what life without a car would be like. £34 return from London, would likely cost £20 return in fuel  (from London)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Re: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #701 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:47:03 pm »
Haven't had a car since the 20th century, aren't they a bit old hat or am I just not very fashionable.

Ride out to A&S but a train booked for the 3 Coasts, 2 600's in 2 weeks or perhaps 600K + 1000K if there's another strike, no that would fail.

... and to bring it back on topic I think I may struggle riding back from the Pendle or Pennines, for some reason the legs weren't great next day, and after the Pendle (2015) the bike wasn't great either, cracked BB for same some reason. Trame was new and defective, I didn't blame it on Hardknott but it was a good test.

« Reply #702 on: 13 June, 2023, 10:52:05 am »
well that was really fucking hard, made even harder by the heat - DNF

really enjoyed the ride out to Robin Hoods Bay despite the stabby ups and downs in the North York Moors, some combination of food choice, heat and main roads once heading west had me really struggling and by the time I reached Barnard Castle I decided I didn't want to play anymore

headed directly to Alston and on to the overnight control where I slept/hung out until I could get the first train home from Penrith

« Reply #703 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:13:15 am »
Yeah, that was hard. The closest I've been to being out of time on an event. Finished 5min in hand.

Peter and I rode it together so that added some faff. ~32h moving for ~40h finish time.

I'd not slept well leading up to it and drove up early Fri morning so was pretty caned but then also couldn't get any sleep during a 20min powernap at a campsite or a 45min lay down at the sleep control in Langwathby so was pretty miserable for a period of time. Pete wasn't loving the heat (saw 33C on the Garmin, wtf). I was having to make extra toilet stops. Pete had some tyre issues. We were stopped by police dealing with an RTA. Lots of little things combined with a very hilly route to make for a stressful finish (for me at least, Pete was super chill).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #704 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:40:20 am »
32 hours? I thought not bad same as Brimstone, maybe I could ride this, then I remembered you rode the brimstone without a big ring due to front mech issues, so would have been faster.

chapeau.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #705 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:52:12 am »
32 hours? I thought not bad same as Brimstone, maybe I could ride this, then I remembered you rode the brimstone without a big ring due to front mech issues, so would have been faster.
chapeau.

Yeah and I rode Brimstone with my missus. She's probably on par with me on the hills (until I get angry or have to prove a point) but is a bit slower on the downs and flats. Pendle has more 'easy' downhills and flats whereas Brimstone you don't really get many (any?) "free speed" sections where I can just get on the aerobars and bust out a little bit of a TT flashback.

« Reply #706 on: 13 June, 2023, 12:02:51 pm »
Pendle 615 km 10,196 m 31:43 19.4 kph
Brimstone 610.2 km 8,351 m 31:10 19.6 kph

Numbers don't really compare so well, given weather differences, the mechanical issue during Brimstone, I had lower gearing for Pendle and I rode with different people during both events.

« Reply #707 on: 13 June, 2023, 12:31:58 pm »
Yeah, that was hard. The closest I've been to being out of time on an event. Finished 5min in hand.

Peter and I rode it together so that added some faff. ~32h moving for ~40h finish time.

I'd not slept well leading up to it and drove up early Fri morning so was pretty caned but then also couldn't get any sleep during a 20min powernap at a campsite or a 45min lay down at the sleep control in Langwathby so was pretty miserable for a period of time. Pete wasn't loving the heat (saw 33C on the Garmin, wtf). I was having to make extra toilet stops. Pete had some tyre issues. We were stopped by police dealing with an RTA. Lots of little things combined with a very hilly route to make for a stressful finish (for me at least, Pete was super chill).

I think on reflection we should have taken this a little more seriously.

Thank you to Andy for a fantastic event. It was beautiful all the way around - including some fantastic wildlife. Especially exotic in Hexam

Thanks for the fantastic company!

Its very scenic but there is some rest between the hills which is welcome.

The heat nearly got me this time - but we never actually ended up out of time anywhere.

Chill Winston

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #708 on: 13 June, 2023, 10:38:21 pm »

Given that I arrived after you guys, agree with all of that. I'm sure Andy wondered WTF was happening with 3 riders arriving in the last 5.

About the same - head unit reckoned 31h moving, if I add up the control stops and subtract, I get ~33h. Highly likely I was moving imperceptibly slowly for the other 2h.

Lost time hand over fist between BC and Hexham, and Hexham and Langwathby. Figured those gradients would be better for me, but my legs were wet noodles after the North Yorks moors.

Realised I was deep in time trouble around Loweswater, not helped by fuzzy brain with scrambled thoughts about BRM vs BR timings for some reason and thinking 8pm was the Clitheroe cutoff.

Started planning in Seascale to pack, get a train from somewhere and retrieve dropbag, for some reason I figured Broughton-in-Furness was the best bet for trains.

Plotted a route there, which went over another b@stard hill, Corney Fell. Had a sit down on this rock (at least it was drier) at a junction on the descent to check which way, was about to send "I'm packing" texts to Andy and my wife, felt the brevet card in my pocket, took it out and looked at it - "Clitheroe 22:00". Right, game back on maybe - 115km left in 6h30...

Mixed it with some lovely traffic on the A590 and some farcilties to get back to the GPX route at Gilpin Bridge. Thought I'd be timed out at Carnforth (was helped by the route being slightly overdistance so I had an extra few minutes in hand), then just Jubilee Tower, the Trough & Hall Hill to get over in time. You and Shabbypedals came bombing past at Dunsop Bridge, and I hung on your wheels for as long as I could (not long!).

If the ride had ended up the hill in Pendleton like Andy's original plan, I'd have been timed out for sure.

So Pendle 600 without Hardknott and Wrynose - does that count? I measured up my little excursion and it added a few km and 200m ascent to my route.

We were stopped by police dealing with an RTA.
Was that on the Guisborough Road? Another rider told me at Barnard that he'd heard a smash behind him.

« Reply #709 on: 14 June, 2023, 09:21:49 am »
Sounds like your audax maths is similar to mine. If I don't have half a day in hand at the finish something has gone horribly wrong and I'm looking for train stations :)

Not sure which road the crash was on but took a pic of the road block in case we had to beg Andy for extra time (I don't even know if that's a thing).

Ah, yes, that court name reveals it is the road you mentioned, the A171, just up from the Broadings Farm Caravan Site.

Legs felt ok on the turbo yesterday but no real energy to speak of and walking reveals a few "tenderisedons".