Author Topic: PBP 2019 ROUTE  (Read 31396 times)

Re: PBP 2019 ROUTE
« Reply #25 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:34:44 pm »
Each to their own, but whether or not individuals choose to poke electronic devices whilst riding wasn't really the point I was making.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Phil W

« Reply #26 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:37:04 pm »
Each to their own, but whether or not individuals choose to poke electronic devices whilst riding wasn't really the point I was making.

Well my point was that you won't know where the secret controls are during the ride, unless you specifically go looking for that info.

« Reply #27 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:42:32 pm »

Well my point was that you won't know where the secret controls are during the ride, unless you specifically go looking for that info.

I overheard someone ahead of me talking about them to another rider and how they discovered them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:49:54 pm »
84hr folk often notice the return secret control during their ride outbound.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #29 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:04:55 pm »
I had this picture of a 'Secret' control being something that I could well miss as it might be hidden. Turns out it is not the case and you pretty much can't miss it if you stay on the route, which is mandatory anyway.

bairn again

« Reply #30 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:07:39 pm »
last time i managed to convince myself that around the 800km mark i wasn't actually riding on a tarmac road and must have taken a wrong turn.  I soft pedalled for a bit hoping that Id see an arrow or other riders but none appeared.  I stopped and asked myself where I might have missed an arrow and the answer was "nowhere" so I plodded on.  After a bit I started to see other riders, and lo an arrow. 

A gps might be useful in these circumstances (ie when ones brain is in "le demi coma" as that chap in the 2011 DVD put it) but other than that I cant see the need. 

« Reply #31 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »
I had problems with keeping my GPS running (the powerpack I was using was faulty) so mostly navigated via the arrows or by riding around enough people that I rarely had to think where to go (just follow the 10 or so people you can see ahead in the distance).

Ironically when I did get the GPS working again (near the end) I was in a bit of a demi coma state and slavishly followed the pink line, but that happened to be the route going out from the start. I only noticed after 5 minutes as there was an absence of other riders or arrows but didn't bother to backtrack and rejoined the official route a few km from the finish. Nothing bad happened, my ride was still homologated.

I was more annoyed that I didn't record the full ride on my GPS. I like data.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #32 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »
I go into radio silence on rides, so that will not be a problem for me.

This ^^^  :thumbsup:  EDIT: much to Mrs WB's annoyance  ::-)

I am out for a ride (and controlling, eating and replenishing at controls) not poking little electronic devices. #timesink

And this ^^^  :thumbsup:

I was more annoyed that I didn't record the full ride on my GPS. I like data.

EDIT: Oh, and this ^^^ — I'm missing 50km or so from my PBP2015 track after sleep-dep inflicted poor-charging-strategy and both my Garmins ran flat  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #33 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:47:35 pm »
Wilkyboy - I was glad when your garmin died - allowed me to get on with the job of telling you not to panic!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #34 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
Wilkyboy - I was glad when your garmin died - allowed me to get on with the job of telling you not to panic!

My saviour  ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bairn again

« Reply #35 on: 07 February, 2019, 12:27:22 pm »
As ever - cheers Wilkyboy.   :thumbsup:

Its pretty obvious of course but I've just realised that the first and final legs should have a significantly different character to the last few PBPs, with Mortagne coming in 23km less on the outbound than previously and the final leg from Dreux to the finish now a mere 45km rather than 65km.     

SPB

« Reply #36 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:08:16 pm »

Its pretty obvious of course but I've just realised that the first and final legs should have a significantly different character to the last few PBPs, with Mortagne coming in 23km less on the outbound than previously and the final leg from Dreux to the finish now a mere 45km rather than 65km.   

It's a shame they couldn't work things out with St Quentin, I would have enjoyed leaving and arriving back in "Paris".  But I can't deny saving an hour off each end has its upside... 

Phil W

« Reply #37 on: 07 February, 2019, 02:37:31 pm »

It's a shame they couldn't work things out with St Quentin, I would have enjoyed leaving and arriving back in "Paris".  But I can't deny saving an hour off each end has its upside...

Yeah but St Quentin is to Paris as Walthamstow is to London.  You are not missing much.

SPB

« Reply #38 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:04:37 pm »
True.  But the little bit of urban riding on the way out and back in would make it feel more like going from and back to Paris.  Starting at Rambouillet is like if LEL started in Hitchin.  (Though I remind myself Paris-Roubaix has started at Compiegne since 1968..)

But kudos to ACP for finding an alternate start location.  That can't have been an easy task at short notice.

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:44:13 pm »
True.  But the little bit of urban riding on the way out and back in would make it feel more like going from and back to Paris.  Starting at Rambouillet is like if LEL started in Hitchin.  (Though I remind myself Paris-Roubaix has started at Compiegne since 1968..)

But kudos to ACP for finding an alternate start location.  That can't have been an easy task at short notice.

The way to solve is to book accommodation near the Eiffel Tower and then to ride to the start, do PBP, then ride back. Given the late starts this is not such a biggie.

« Reply #40 on: 08 February, 2019, 10:57:52 am »
We are probably going to ride into Paris on the Friday morning (having finished) and catch the train out towards Caen/Cherbourg (ferry) from the St Lazare terminus. As well as visiting the capital the train ticket seems to be less than riding over to Evreux (80km) and getting the (same) train from there.

SPB

« Reply #41 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:42:51 am »

The way to solve is to book accommodation near the Eiffel Tower and then to ride to the start, do PBP, then ride back. Given the late starts this is not such a biggie.

Given there's so no available accommodation left in Rambouillet, and so much available in Paris, I suspect a fair few will be doing just that.

But I've taken this thread off topic.  Back to the route, we're confident it's going to be shorter this year as a result of the new start?  There's no suggestion we'll be routed an indirect way to the first control to add some km back in?

« Reply #42 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:57:20 am »

Given there's so no available accommodation left in Rambouillet, and so much available in Paris, I suspect a fair few will be doing just that.

There may be spare places in Huttopia cabins at Rambouillet. 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #43 on: 08 February, 2019, 01:20:26 pm »

But I've taken this thread off topic.  Back to the route, we're confident it's going to be shorter this year as a result of the new start?  There's no suggestion we'll be routed an indirect way to the first control to add some km back in?

Got to be 45-50km from Eiffel tower to the start. Not so bad on the day itself. But a 100km round trip for bike inspection the day before.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #44 on: 08 February, 2019, 01:21:33 pm »
We are probably going to ride into Paris on the Friday morning (having finished) and catch the train out towards Caen/Cherbourg (ferry) from the St Lazare terminus. As well as visiting the capital the train ticket seems to be less than riding over to Evreux (80km) and getting the (same) train from there.

I'd rather ride to Evreux any day.  And the station there will be more bike-friendly, though to be fair St Lazare is not too bad in that respect.  Only plus for going to the terminal is if there are several other cyclists around with similar plans (and there may well be), you'll be on first with your bike all nice and hung up and no worries.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #45 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »

I've just had a compare of the routes - they've added various detours further along the course to make up some of the distance. So it's now 1217 km vs 1230 km in 2015.

But a long part of the start and end are unchanged between Mamers (around 160 km along the 2015 route) until the detour from/to Rambouillet, so for riders who've done it before that part will feel 20 km shorter.

SPB

« Reply #46 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »

I've just had a compare of the routes - they've added various detours further along the course to make up some of the distance. So it's now 1217 km vs 1230 km in 2015.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:18:02 pm »

Got to be 45-50km from Eiffel tower to the start. Not so bad on the day itself. But a 100km round trip for bike inspection the day before.

There are purists who would insist on you starting PBP on the Champs Elysées and finishing at the top of the Eiffel Tower (with obligation to carry your bike up all the stairs - no lifts). I would have settled for Quai André Citroen myself with a finish on Paris Plage and beer and icecreams. But it would add on a lot of kms Still Paris should mean a start and finish inside the périph' I agree. WTH where it is will do me fine for spectating  ;D

« Reply #48 on: 14 February, 2019, 09:33:36 am »
Having looked on the official PBP website they have all the stages available as GPS files downloadable through OpenRunner.

After merging all stages together (https://joewein.net/bike/gpxmerge/) and importing into http://bikehike.co.uk I see a total distance of... 1112.74km.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

simonp

« Reply #49 on: 14 February, 2019, 12:57:05 pm »
Having looked on the official PBP website they have all the stages available as GPS files downloadable through OpenRunner.

After merging all stages together (https://joewein.net/bike/gpxmerge/) and importing into http://bikehike.co.uk I see a total distance of... 1112.74km.

That's quite the under distance.