Author Topic: 101 uses for a toe strap  (Read 7188 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
101 uses for a toe strap
« on: 26 February, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »
Legend has it that in days of yore, these were used to secure one's feet to the pedals of a velocipede, such that one might topple slowly into yonder brambles, or cause alarm to passing ladies when instructed to wait by a constable directing traffic.

Obviously we're all far too sensible to tie our feet to our bicycles, but the straps live on, often in a modern nylon webbing form.  And bloody useful things they are too.

So, let's see how quickly we can get to 101 :)

I'll kick off with fitting stubborn tyres:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XUFVrl0UT4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-XUFVrl0UT4&rel=1</a>
http://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: 101 uses for a toe strap
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »
#2 Holding a rear derailleur up to the frame to  reduce chain tension and allow easy chain joining/splitting
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:43:37 pm »
I still use them as toestraps! I like having a bike with ordinary pedals, and since that's generally fixed, I find toestraps quite useful.

Also, #3: keeping a Carradice snug with the seatpost.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »
Strap front wheel to down tube when bike is in the work stand to stop it turning e.g. when taping bars

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:00:07 pm »
carrying a spare front wheel on a low rider rack

carrying a cape on the loops of a saddlebag

as a more reliable trouser clip.

I'll add some non cycling ones when I remember.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:01:22 pm »
Holding a brake lever on to act as a parking brake (for added stability when on a propstand, on trains and so on).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »
Bicycle-based uses?  Or can I tell you about how I use them to hold my photography stuff together?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:06:58 pm »
Holding my tool roll together. Yes, I know there are such things as multitools, but sometimes a chap needs a full sized discrete bit of metal.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »
Like Deano, we still use some for their intended purpose.  I use a couple to carry a tripdod on a rucksack.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »
I once went on a cycling weekend to the area around Loch Tay with some friends from the Edinburgh RC. Early drive up Saturday morning for two long day rides with a night in the youth hostel. As we unpacked the car and got ready to roll on Saturday morning, I changed into my cycling shoes - first generation Sidi Genius, probably the first to have the ratchet fastening that all shoes have these days. The ratchet broke as I tightened them up - disaster! I couldn't do two days of cycling with my foot pulling out of the shoe on every little climb (the first Sidi Genius had a ratchet and only one small velcro strap at the toe)!

Somebody gave me an old leather toestrap from the pack under his saddle to wrap round my loose shoe... ok, better than nothing. Then I unscrewed the ratchet base from the side of the shoe to reveal a groove in a nylon moulding exactly the right width for a toestrap to settle into. I spent the next two days marvelling at how secure my broken shoe felt in comparison to the other.

« Reply #10 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:32:09 pm »
A couple of well established ones are holding a spare tub under the saddle and when using wheel carriers holding the rim to the bars.

I also use 2 to attach my saddle bag to the saddle which hasn't got loops.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2013, 08:09:22 am »
Strap two spare tubes to my seat stays.
Strap waterproofs to top of my saddlebag.
Hold my bike securely against the inside of the car.
Comedy cock'n'balls strapping.
Securing bikes at umpteen extra points on a car rack.
Use a few together to hold the boot of a hatchback down with an oversize load.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 27 February, 2013, 08:35:58 am »
Comedy cock'n'balls strapping.

Remind me never to ask to see your party piece :o
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 27 February, 2013, 09:56:05 am »
Securing bikes at umpteen extra points on a car rack.

I remember getting a lift to a race with a club member when I was a student, not racing myself but supporting a couple of friends. Two bikes were upturned onto ordinary roof bars, toestrap round the saddle and toestrap round the 'bars and that was it!

« Reply #14 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:02:39 am »
Improvised shermer's neck support. If you're really lucky it's possible to integrate baler twine, cable ties and an inner tube for a bodging full-house.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #15 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:54:35 am »
Ah!  I've got a good'un :thumbsup:  I always have one looped on the RHS of my h/bars (on all bikes), so that when I stop at a cafe, 11s'is etc, I loosen the strap, slid it over the font brake lever, then nip it up!, stops the front wheel moving which causes the bike to turn away front the wall, and slide along. Interestingly, one can nip this up and rest a bike against a wall on a 45 deg slope, without it moving. Quite interesting to do this and see how many passers by notice the 'apparantly unteathered' bike perform death defying anti gravitational tricks.! ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
I used one on my tourer to prevent the fuel bottle in the bottle cage under my down tube from bouncing out.

Also, to re-attach my pannier to the rack when the clips were sheared off by a careless Indian motorcyclist.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #17 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:13:37 am »
I still use them as toestraps! I like having a bike with ordinary pedals, and since that's generally fixed, I find toestraps quite useful.

+1, though I don't ride fixed, I like to wear whatever shoes I want. Don't get on with SPDs etc.: traffic light calls of "Timberrrr!" as cyclists fail to unclip in time...

Toe straps also useful for holding bags onto racks, and suchlike.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #18 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:17:39 am »
More than twenty years after swapping to clipless, I'm amazed at the way I can always find another toestrap when I need one. They must breed in dark corners.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #19 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:18:21 am »
i used toe straps to carry rolled up waterproof jacket tied to brooks saddle loops; also to carry bike wheels tied to the top handle of rucksack (cable ties also do the job)

« Reply #20 on: 27 February, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »
On a tow-ball rack (no relation to Graham's post  :) ) for:
1. Attaching flappy rear mtb mudguard to rear wheel to stop it flapping in the breeze.
2. Attaching front wheel to down tube ditto
3. Attaching bike to rack (when not too worried about the paint or if the protections are up to the job).

Also for reducing the volume of my saddle pack to stop it dragging on the rear wheel with a short tandem partner

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 27 February, 2013, 08:54:12 pm »
I needed to take a rear wheel to my (not very) lbs today.  It fit nicely flat on top of my rear rack.  Only one strap to a seat stay and it was solid as a rock.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:04:19 pm »
Not strapping toes. Really.

See Jock strap for evidence.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #23 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
Several of the above + a single toestrap fixes a narrow D lock to my racktop unobtrusively and releases / installs faster than most purpose built lock carriers.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #24 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
A single toestrap wound crosswise does a great job of securing a Tesco torch to my handlebars for a bit of auxiliary lighting.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike