Author Topic: [HAMR] Board name change  (Read 8301 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Board name change
« Reply #25 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:10:52 pm »
OK, so Wowbagger votes for
"Rides and Touring".
I guess thats his choice! I expect I'll find it in there if I need to.

(incidentally I'm not much of a pedant, more of a Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet kinda guy. )

I think we need a poll in OT knowledge about whether or not mattc is a pedant. :-*
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »
"Rides and Touring".

(incidentally I'm not much of a pedant, more of a Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet kinda guy. )

I think we need a poll in OT knowledge about whether or not mattc is a pedant. :-*

I think that should be in Politics & Other Big Issues  :P

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »
"Rides and Touring".

Gwan gwan gwan!
The loss of humanity I could live with.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »
Maybe it'll go like darts.  We'll have a split between the Professional Highest Mileage Council and the British Highest Mileage Organisation. 

The BHMO challenge will be slightly crappy, featuring people who can only manage 25,000 miles a year marshalled by some very old men in blazers, but will be free to watch on the BBC. 

The PHMC will, on the other hand, have choreographed walk-ons from the house to the bike shed each morning (complete with thumping pop theme - Teethgrinder's is "Calling All Heroes" by It Bites) and a girl in a skimpy outfit carrying the national flag.  There will be BIG smoke machines and the challengers will adopt nicknames like "The Masticator" and "The Prince Of Lycra".  There will be a crazed yet strangely literary commentary by the late Sid Waddell.  They'll be vying for the honour of the first to ride 100,000 miles in a year.  But it'll cost you £50 a month to watch on Sky Sports.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »
"Rides and Touring".

Gwan gwan gwan!
I think you'll find it's
Politics and Other Big Issues.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:30:44 pm »
Maybe it'll go like darts.  We'll have a split between the Professional Highest Mileage Council and the British Highest Mileage Organisation. 

The BHMO challenge will be slightly crappy, featuring people who can only manage 25,000 miles a year marshalled by some very old men in blazers, but will be free to watch on the BBC. 

The PHMC will, on the other hand, have choreographed walk-ons from the house to the bike shed each morning (complete with thumping pop theme - Teethgrinder's is "Calling All Heroes" by It Bites) and a girl in a skimpy outfit carrying the national flag.  There will be BIG smoke machines and the challengers will adopt nicknames like "The Masticator" and "The Prince Of Lycra".  There will be a crazed yet strangely literary commentary by the late Sid Waddell.  They'll be vying for the honour of the first to ride 100,000 miles in a year.  But it'll cost you £50 a month to watch on Sky Sports.

Makes sense - it's already happened in Rides and Touring, after all.  (Simply compare a forum ride to the pub in mid-Essex with the equivalent anywhere else in the country.)

« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:25:01 pm »

This almost happened on BBC3 in 2004. It was a show called 'Hercules', and pitted 12 endurance athletes against each other. One was 24 Hour Time Trial Champion, Andy Wilkinson. It's a cross between 'Superstars' and 'Gladiators', narrated by Paul Darrow out of 'Blake's Seven'. You can watch a whole episode on Youtube, there were 12 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlEHOwBvNGg