Author Topic: What do you wear for Audaxes?  (Read 1753 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
What do you wear for Audaxes?
« on: 13 April, 2024, 01:59:21 pm »
Say for 200s / 300s when it's above freezing :-)

I have a mish mash of base layers, jerseys and £50 level shorts which are fine but I have been thinking about upgrading. I know there are a lot of makes out there now, so any items you would rate or slate?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What do you wear for Audaxes?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:25:44 pm »
Clothes

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:35:47 pm »
Above freezing is a pretty wide range, care to narrow down both the temps and conditions you want items for? Plus whether you run and hot or cold and examples of what you currently wear for different conditions would be useful.

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2024, 03:09:30 pm »

I am a bulky person (currently BMI of 31is) so I tend to favour brands which have xxxl.

Cold and damp I wear base layer (merino) with Heavy duty Showerpass jacket (all vents open) and spare baselayers in the rack pack.

When dry thick, medium and thin long sleeve jackets depending on temp with merino base layer until warm enough for short sleeve.  Cheap chinese tops for summer as they seem to understand xxxl and do lots of jazzy designs, zips can be a bit naff though.

For shorts Altura/Endura /Assos discount shop.

Assos longs for over shorts in Winter

Windstopper longs with built in seat for shorter winter rides.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2024, 03:39:41 pm »
Chanel No 9

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:23:33 pm »
I’m more a dix-neuf fille…

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:24:53 pm »
I've often wondered!

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2024, 05:50:57 pm »
I’m a fan of mesh base layers in cold or damp conditions. Not to everyone’s tastes though.  For warm I tend to go for very lightweight merino short sleeve with spf protection built in. I tend to wear mountaineering layers rather than bike specific with one active insulation layer over base then a windproof on top if it warrants it. Sometimes just windproof over base if warmer but damp.

This is one of the two mid layers I choose from for audax, as well as mountaineering etc. I used to have shelled versions (well still do as this stuff never dies, but they don’t get used on the bike as much now) but find having a non windproof one works better for heat management covering much wider range of temps and exertion levels. Depends what kind of budget you have to work with as prices seem to have risen steeply for this top.

https://rab.equipment/uk/alpha-flash-jacket

If what you currently do works for you pretty well, you could just stick with it, more of the same.

jwo

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2024, 06:01:33 pm »
I wouldn't assume that 'upgrade' == 'better', at least in terms of price.

I'd say more important than anything else is to have shorts that are comfortable. The YACF-specific ones produced back in the day (Endura?) were great. I had some expensive Rapha ones, which looked good, but didn't really offer any more comfort or benefit for audaxing.

Second most important is a waterproof top that suits your body temperature regime (for me, I tend to overheat easily so thinner and plenty of breathability).

As for the rest, layers and comfortable fit, which isn't particularly price sensitive.

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2024, 08:35:11 am »
Disclaimer that I no longer ride audaxes.
{edit} Also I wrote this without properly reading the question being about "above zero" - but I'll leave it intact anyway.

My solution for cold and very cold conditions was a Buffalo Windshirt sometimes with a merino vest.
I never had a problem with cold legs, but overshoes were essential to keep my feet comfortable. Lobster gloves with long cuffs for hands but don't underestimate the value of good bar tape.
On top it was a Buff to keep my neck toasty with an army surplus fleece lined hat that converted to a balaclava type thing.
Backside comfort is a very personal arrangement between you and your saddle - as a generalisation your summer shorts with 'longs' over them may work for you.

I'll suggest that getting wet (rain, snow or sweat) is more deadly than purely getting cold - and avoiding that is probably the key.

Some people run hot, some run cold - clothing advice can only ever be a broad sweep of personal opinion.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2024, 02:33:08 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2024, 03:31:31 pm »
Good shorts are essential: I always used Assos and applied their lube as well.  Always had a mini-pot of the stuff in the HB bag.  Other than that I never bothered with base-layers and top layers: I just put on an extra jersey or two when it was cold and a rainproof on top if needed - all stuff that could be bundled into a saddlebag easily.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2024, 04:20:26 pm »
Good shorts and comfortable shoes are essential (not necessarily expensive). Other stuff is less important. I tend to dress cool (encourages me to ride a little harder) and I avoid wearing too many layers. Arm and leg warmers are easy to put on and take off quickly. A Shakedry rain-jacket is the least obnoxious of its type but it is delicate and now out of production.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2024, 05:32:36 pm »
Like T42, I found jerseys on top of jerseys a good thing. For summer rides going into night, a short sleeve jersey for day, which would often be too hot for a base layer underneath, then a long-sleeve one on top of it for the night.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2024, 08:39:23 pm »
Whatever works.  I've found it hard to correlate between brands and successful outcomes.  I'm still using an Altura rain jacket that I first used on the Bryan Chapman in 2007.  I had a pair of Madison gloves that lasted for about 10 years.  There are only two constants - Assos shorts are worth the extra cost.  And I use a Goretex kidney warmer, which keeps the gut warm - and helps me digest food / avoid stomach issues. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2024, 09:02:51 pm »
Decent shorts that aren't worn out. I've got some that are fine for commuting or sub 40 mile rides, but for 200+ I'll always wear whichever shorts are fairly new.

Top stuff depends on temp range. Layers if it's going to be a wide range. But if it's going to stay under 10⁰ then I'll probably wear a jacket with another jersey underneath.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #16 on: 14 April, 2024, 10:53:41 pm »
Another vote for Assos shorts. Bloody expensive. Eye wateringly so. Worth every penny. Sudocrem helps.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:06:20 am »
Good shorts and comfortable shoes are essential (not necessarily expensive). Other stuff is less important. I tend to dress cool (encourages me to ride a little harder) and I avoid wearing too many layers. Arm and leg warmers are easy to put on and take off quickly. A Shakedry rain-jacket is the least obnoxious of its type but it is delicate and now out of production.

Are they not making shakedry jackets anymore (via Gore or any of the licensees)? I have one and love it. Unfortunately I have gotten bigger, but the jacket has not kept pace. I keep putting off looking for a larger size, maybe now for too long.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:18:11 am »
Paramo's stuff works, it will keep you dry but your eyes will water at the price

https://paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/our-ethics/pfc-free/

The cheapest I could find a "Velez Adventure Light Smock" (which is the water proof suitable for cycling) was £213

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 15 April, 2024, 11:48:56 am »
Gulp.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21 on: 15 April, 2024, 02:16:33 pm »
Paramo's stuff works, it will keep you dry but your eyes will water at the price

It will also outlast almost anything else you buy.
My Paramo general-use jacket is worn most days and is over 25 years old

« Reply #22 on: 15 April, 2024, 03:01:09 pm »
Well, I see I am well out of the know...discontinued for 2 years.

Thank you for the tip on Paramo. That is indeed eye watering. That's even more than I paid for the Shakedry (not in GBP) and I was scandalized at the price then. I also heard great things about Showers Pass, but I bought a pair of their waterproof gloves and they simply weren't waterproof (even a little bit).

In the spirit of the thread, what is your rain clothes strategy (I know most of you are in the UK so, just strategy then :P). I found that even with the very thin rain jacket I really was only thankful to have it in short down pours, rain with temps less than say 13 or once when getting wet just before a long descent. If I had to wear it any longer or any warmer I was wet anyway, though it was a warm wet so that was something. I never leave without shoe covers, but I've never worn rain pants outside of commuting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 15 April, 2024, 03:12:29 pm »
Thin, cheap, lightweight, waterproof but not breathable jacket.
On as soon as it’s wet, zip open when the rain stops, off when starting to feel hot.

Exercising folk perspire MUCH faster than the moisture vapour permeability of ‘breathable’ fabrics.

Gore-Tex is good in the winter but a waste of money in the summer...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 15 April, 2024, 04:20:04 pm »
Paramo is expensive but it works, both for waterproofing and – even more so – for breathability. And while it's expensive compared to eg Endura, it's cheap compared to some of the high-end hiking stuff. However, it is really better for hiking and general outdoor use (outdoor? obviously you're not going to wear it indoors!) than cycling IMO. It tends to be a bit warmer than membrane jackets for a start, and the cut is certainly not aerodynamic. The hoods are great though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.