Author Topic: Good muffin recipes wanted  (Read 2305 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Good muffin recipes wanted
« on: 12 April, 2008, 02:43:59 pm »
I stupidly gave away my book of muffins, biscuits & bars, but now while I'm sitting here waiting for something approaching spring to arrive I fancy making some muffins to freeze in preparation for those rides I'll do when it's not raining for 40 days and 40 nights.

So, anyone got any recipes for me??
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Good muffin recipes wanted
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2008, 01:45:36 am »
Delia does nice muffins; you can usually get the recipes off her website.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:22:35 pm »
Try these, Mrs Pingu - they're yummy!

Ingredients
150g self raising wholemeal flour
150g self raising white flour
100g light muscovado sugar
½ Tsp cinnamon powder
1 Tsp mixed spice
280 g raw banana
200ml orange juice
1 Egg
Pinch of salt
125g dried apricots

Method
1 Put the two flours, the sugar and the spices into a mixing bowl, and stir to mix thoroughly.

2 Measure juice into measuring jug and add dried apricots, having chopped them into small pieces first. These can soak whilst you work.

3 Mash bananas with a fork - doesn't have to be perfectly smooth but try not to leave large lumps.

4 Add bananas to juice/dried fruit mixture. Add egg and pinch of salt and whisk briefly with a fork.

5 Pour liquid ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. The batter should be quite wet: if too stiff, add a splash more orange juice. Don't worry if it looks too runny!

6 Pour batter either into a 2lb silicon loaf "tin" or 12 x silicon muffin moulds. N.B. I say silicon for a reason! this mixture is almost fat free. As a result, even paper muffin cases become welded to it! If you want to use a metal loaf tin, that's fine, but it will need greasing well and lining with good quality non-stick paper. Don't panic if there appears to be a lot of mixture! The mixture rises in the centre, but not at the edges. So you can fill the loaf tin or muffin moulds to within a couple of mm of the brim, and the cake won't overflow.

This yields 10 generous slices of loaf or up to 12 muffins depending on the size of your moulds and how much you fill them.

Bake at 170 C (Gas 3), until a cocktail stick or skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf/muffins comes out clean. Check loaf for the first time after around 45 minutes, although it should take an hour. Check muffins for the first time after around 20 minutes, although they could take up to 35.

Leave to cool in the "tin". Although the cakes will have risen, as they cool they will shrink back. The cakes are a chewy, doughy texture much like shop-bought malt loaf. Yum!

HTH

Sara

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:38:35 am »

Have you tried the lakeland book of muffin recipes??

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:23:39 am »
Mmmmm, muffins!

Will they be... moist?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:35:52 am »
My favourite muffin recipe:

Get in car
Drive to Costco
Buy lots and lots of thier ginormous muffins
Eat lots of them, feel mightly sick....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »
Mmmmm, muffins!

Will they be... moist?

God Charlotte, you took your time!
I was beginning to get disappointed
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.