Author Topic: Electricity Smart Meter  (Read 58715 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Electricity Smart Meter
« Reply #475 on: 16 November, 2023, 04:35:24 pm »
I was struggling to remember whether it came from the app or not but either way it opened What's App. Unless I got a notification from both...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #476 on: 16 November, 2023, 06:36:48 pm »
Newbie to Octopus.  Got a notification yesterday on phone, via app? then had to set up on WhatsApp with the opt in via the app.  I think...

Low battery after several manky weather days but not importing, yet.  Oven about to go on now is post the 1730-1830 window.

Good stuff this tech, like wot I iz learning 😊

felstedrider

« Reply #477 on: 17 November, 2023, 10:36:58 am »
National Grid call on the DFS Service and then notify suppliers so they can notify customers.   Thursday's event was announced on Wednesday.   You can monitor it here :-

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=transmission/systemwarning

Oddly, the system looked a bit tight yesterday evening but prices over that period weren't particularly toppy.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #478 on: 19 November, 2023, 04:25:24 pm »
Just to satisfy my curiosity I read the meter at the start and end of our 1100-1600 half price electricity deal today - we planned to maximise the possible saving with the washing machine running mutiple loads for the whole period, the tumble drier for almost all of the washing (raining so no outdoor drying) and a run of the dishwasher - plus an hour or so of the oven .... together with the normal usage for lights, coffee machine, technology etc.

Consumption was 11kwh which at our rate of 30.1 = £3.31 = £1.65 saving (actually a little more in real terms as there will be at least one less washing machine run during the coming week)  The deal runs until 31 December 2023 so saving at the same rate every Sunday will net £9.90.

Our Tapo measuring device has just been fitted to the power supply to our plumbed-in, always on(it's on a Hive plug/socket and is programmed to go off from 2030-0600 overnight),  coffee machine to see how much juice it uses  . . . . I may get a fright with the consumption!

I have returned my anorak to the coat hook by the back door  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #479 on: 19 November, 2023, 05:33:29 pm »
Just to satisfy my curiosity I read the meter at the start and end of our 1100-1600 half price electricity deal today

Presumably that's based on the assumption that Sunday afternoons are usually relatively low demand, rather than National Grid 24-hour-ahead predictions.

robgul

« Reply #480 on: 19 November, 2023, 06:45:23 pm »
Just to satisfy my curiosity I read the meter at the start and end of our 1100-1600 half price electricity deal today

Presumably that's based on the assumption that Sunday afternoons are usually relatively low demand, rather than National Grid 24-hour-ahead predictions.

. . . and very few people nowadays have the traditonal roast beef and Yorkshire pudding Sunday lunch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #481 on: 19 November, 2023, 08:48:08 pm »

. . . and very few people nowadays have the traditonal roast beef and Yorkshire pudding Sunday lunch.

Or if they do, they're doing it later in the day.  I cooked a roast earlier, but started at 5pm.

And having looked it up, apparently about 30% of BRITISH ovens are gas-powered.  I'm surprised it's that few, but then anyone with any choice in the matter is going to want a fan oven, even if they combine it with a gas hob.

Which all plays into the duck curve.  The main difference with Sundays is lower overall demand, and you don't get the same morning peak.

Octopus did a thing a few years ago where they'd give you all-you-can-eat free electrons for a one hour slot each month.  That was based on actual grid prediction, so you got <24 hours notice of when it was going to happen (though it was fairly predictable if you paid attention to the weather forecast), and for astronomical reasons never happened at a sensible[1] cooking time.  I mostly used it to do laundry, de-ice the freezer and bake CAKEs.

[1] Unless you're French.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #482 on: 19 November, 2023, 09:03:59 pm »
Five years after first registering my interest in a Smart Meter, one has been installed! I was told by the installer that our postcode (YO17) "needs special meters due to the RAF base nearby" which seems very unlikely.
I now have a little screen telling me I've exceeded my weekly budget. Progress.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #484 on: 19 November, 2023, 09:44:04 pm »
19 miles as the photon flies. At least, that's to where I reckon Fylingdales is because it doesn't appear on Google Maps.
I guess they are _really very_ sensitive antennae so maybe...
Everyone's favourite windbreak

felstedrider

« Reply #485 on: 20 November, 2023, 09:01:14 am »
Some of the older meters installed have the potential to go dumb when 2g is switched off, as I understand it at the moment.   The early roll out might not have been managed too well.

Octopus are doing out of hours fixed tariffs at 7p/kWh.   The wholesale price is around 9p/kWh.   This is not a sustainable business model.

« Reply #486 on: 20 November, 2023, 12:19:09 pm »
19 miles as the photon flies. At least, that's to where I reckon Fylingdales is because it doesn't appear on Google Maps.
I guess they are _really very_ sensitive antennae so maybe...

Lockton, Pickering YO18 7NT - tagged as Fylingdale Radar Installation

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #487 on: 28 November, 2023, 06:04:48 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #489 on: 28 November, 2023, 06:19:04 pm »
Place your bets on whether Octopus send me an email...

robgul

« Reply #490 on: 28 November, 2023, 08:46:09 pm »
Seems like there might be another saving session tomorrow
https://twitter.com/NationalGridESO/status/1729519267874275451?t=yzIJN0m4npMh8rd6nzqdNg&s=19

Yep - BG 1700-1830 here (note made to turn off the coffee machine at 1655!)

felstedrider

« Reply #491 on: 28 November, 2023, 08:55:18 pm »
The system is a bit tight next few days.  Cold weather and low wind.  I’m out the office with clients for two days so will be a bit out of touch.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #492 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:09:29 pm »
I read somewhere that if you export on Octopus you'll get 4 squid per kWh exported. Which is handy being as I'll be baking bread tomorrow and the flattery will be bat.

« Reply #493 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:28:55 pm »
What is the saving compared to? Had a look through FAQ but it wasn’t clear.

« Reply #494 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:32:26 pm »
Oddly the peak in Agile Octopus pricing doesn’t correspond precisely with the session (and didn’t during the last one either).

https://agileprices.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #495 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:33:02 pm »

Your average use for that time period over the last n weeks.  Yes, this is obviously flawed, but remember it's about reducing peak demand rather than saving energy.

felstedrider

« Reply #496 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:45:37 pm »
Oddly the peak in Agile Octopus pricing doesn’t correspond precisely with the session (and didn’t during the last one either).

https://agileprices.co.uk/

That formatting is horrible.

Here’s another data source for pricing.  The below is the day ahead clearing price.  It sets at 10am D-1.

https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/en/Market-data1/GB/Auction-prices/UK/Hourly/?view=table

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #497 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:31:28 pm »
Place your bets on whether Octopus send me an email...

Semi-astoundingly, they did!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #498 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:59:51 pm »
So, have had the smart meters about 6 weeks now.

Got an email from Octopus updating me on my latest situation.

They have just charged me £12.63 for 6 weeks of gas. I’m loving this new smart meter!
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

« Reply #499 on: 29 November, 2023, 07:21:00 am »

Your average use for that time period over the last n weeks.  Yes, this is obviously flawed, but remember it's about reducing peak demand rather than saving energy.

If the "last n weeks" is a rolling average then if you make savings the effect will reduce over time as, presumably, your average that's the target to reduce will diminish thus reducing the chances of effecting savings made by realistic switchings-off . . . .?