Author Topic: Camera-Phone Photos  (Read 119926 times)

spindrift

Re: Camera-Phone Photos
« Reply #50 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:50:47 am »

spindrift

« Reply #51 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:58:37 am »
Taken with a Sony k850i. I tried to track the cyclist so the background was blurry- it took a few goes to get right and it's a ciomplete coincidence the best shot was a babelicious Dutch girl.

I like the second cos of the shapes the ducks make in the water. I had to be careful not to catch the working girls in the windows, they'd have snatched my camera and chucked it in the canal.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #52 on: 07 November, 2008, 11:22:05 am »
Dont normally use the phone, this is a couple from this years punk festival in Blackpool, the first is a certain Mr Lloyd Grosman (playing guitar on the right)..

And The Vibrators......

Mine is a clapped out Nokia 6600 but its bomb proof and it needs to be with me.

Great photos!

Please forgive my next comments.  I know very little about music and less about the punk scene.  What I am about to type isn't meant to mock, merely express my surprise - perhaps my ignorance!

Lloyd Grosman is a punk rocker???  Has he always been into punk?  If so then he has gone up in my estimation.  Just goes to show you shouldn't judge people by their public persona.

And, there don't appear to be many people in the audience that look like punk rockers (though I know you do  :thumbsup: )  How come?

LEE

« Reply #53 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:13:58 pm »
Lloyd Grosman is a punk rocker???  Has he always been into punk?  If so then he has gone up in my estimation.

Punk Rock just went down in my estimation

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 07 November, 2008, 01:21:15 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #55 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

« Reply #56 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:16:57 pm »
Here's a 3Mp image (downsized to 640x480) and a 640x480 pixel crop to give 100% output.

crop

Really Ancien

« Reply #57 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:46:08 pm »
It's always worth looking for this turning as you decend towards Thirlmere from Dunmail Raise, the Western side of Thirlmere is a nice quiet road and the Boulder half way down is a great viewpoint.

Damon.

alan

« Reply #58 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:53:15 pm »

I never really use the camera on my phone but this thread is making me think I should use it a bit more. Of course, I'll never get a decent sized print out of them.  :P  ;)

Those are exactly my thoughts as I read thru' the thread.

alan

« Reply #59 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:58:04 pm »

My initial reaction was that this was somewhere in Mid-West USA (until I recgnised some signage)

I believe it to be Stafford rail station

« Reply #60 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
Here's a 3Mp image (downsized to 640x480) and a 640x480 pixel crop to give 100% output.

crop

Without wanting to get too bogged down in pixel peeping, I think that a scaled down image with an additional 100% crop allows for reasonable comparisons to be made, although there will be a fair bit of 'user variation'...  BTW do you know what level of EXIF data the phone camera records..?   

I suppose as you indicated earlier that for std print sizes or mild enlargements (perhaps not 'poster'), the better camera phones seem to be fine now (possibly with a tad more PP on occasions), and will probably only improve.  Though the improvements will probably mainly come from the sensor/electronic processing end - given the physical size constraints on having much larger/better light gathering lens elements (but you never know). 

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:16:03 pm »
Can't see any EXIF data in Photoshop.

Re.  Lens limitations, I suppose you never know what they'll come up with in the future but I wish mine had a 'slide-over' 2x converter or similar.

I reckon the lens is equivalent to a 32mm (in 35mm terms).  It's not quite as wide as my 28mm but not far from it.

A 64mm 'telephoto' would be really handy for portraits.

citoyen

« Reply #62 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:47:10 pm »
It's always worth looking for this turning as you decend towards Thirlmere from Dunmail Raise, the Western side of Thirlmere is a nice quiet road and the Boulder half way down is a great viewpoint.

I nearly went down that road just to see where it went but changed my mind. I'll have to investigate it next time I'm up there, especially if it's quiet - the main road was very busy with half term traffic.

d.

FyPuNK

« Reply #63 on: 08 November, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Dont normally use the phone, this is a couple from this years punk festival in Blackpool, the first is a certain Mr Lloyd Grosman (playing guitar on the right)..

And The Vibrators......

Mine is a clapped out Nokia 6600 but its bomb proof and it needs to be with me.

Great photos!

Please forgive my next comments.  I know very little about music and less about the punk scene.  What I am about to type isn't meant to mock, merely express my surprise - perhaps my ignorance!

Lloyd Grosman is a punk rocker???  Has he always been into punk?  If so then he has gone up in my estimation.  Just goes to show you shouldn't judge people by their public persona.

And, there don't appear to be many people in the audience that look like punk rockers (though I know you do  :thumbsup: )  How come?
Errrmmmm yes, back in the seventies he had a one hit wonder, he claims that punk has always been close to his heart. To be fair and I didn't hang around for long he can play guitar pretty well although the show tunes they played were pretty naff IMHO but I had to go for the novelty value. Do remember that not everyone into punk nowadays look like me, but that is what punk was and is about, just being yourself, at the time they were on stage there was more hardcore bands on the other stages. Here is some more generic punks ...

« Reply #64 on: 10 November, 2008, 04:14:23 pm »

camera-phone photo ;D

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 10 November, 2008, 04:41:53 pm »
Who do you think you are - Salvador bleeding Dali?

d.

LEE

« Reply #66 on: 10 November, 2008, 05:27:06 pm »
Who do you think you are - Salvador bleeding Dali?

d.

Yes

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 13 November, 2008, 07:34:49 pm »
Another Lake District pic - we visited Blackwell, and I caught my son in the garden admiring the view over Windermere:

And here's a pic taken of the current installation in the Tate Modern turbine hall. I took a few in there but they didn't turn out very well due to the poor lighting - this was the best of a bad bunch:

LEE

« Reply #68 on: 14 November, 2008, 08:54:48 am »

I'm afraid you can't post something like that without telling me more about what the artist had in mind.

Call me a philistine but it looks like IKEA's warehouse.

citoyen

« Reply #69 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:00:57 am »
Call me a philistine but it looks like IKEA's warehouse.

Ha! Yes, that's about right. It's certainly the weakest of the turbine hall installations I've seen so far. There are several rows of these bright blue and yellow steel bed frames, many with books laid on them, all with an apocalyptic theme. There are also several large animal sculptures (including the Louise Bourgeois giant spider, and the red thing is supposed to be part of a giant flamingo) and a screen on the end wall showing bits of film, again with an apocalyptic theme. more

Frankly, it's a bit heavy handed and unsubtle and not especially well executed. I found it quite dull.

Some of my colleagues went down on the day it opened and left copies of Nuts on some of the beds, which at least livened it up a bit. Unfortunately, they didn't last very long before security stepped in.

d.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #70 on: 15 November, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »
I should point out that at least one of the .citycycling cover photos has been taken on a cameraphone.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #71 on: 15 November, 2008, 11:15:19 pm »
They're complete game-changers, I was totally wrong years ago when I was ranting about "who needs a camera on a phone?"  Citizen journalism, instantly, globally: snap and send.  Glorious.

Twitpic rocks. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #72 on: 15 November, 2008, 11:44:22 pm »
They're complete game-changers, I was totally wrong years ago when I was ranting about "who needs a camera on a phone?"  Citizen journalism, instantly, globally: snap and send.  Glorious.

Twitpic rocks. :thumbsup:

Me too Andy.

It's nice to be wrong occasionally!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #73 on: 16 November, 2008, 11:44:47 pm »
Without wanting to get too bogged down in pixel peeping, I think that a scaled down image with an additional 100% crop allows for reasonable comparisons to be made, although there will be a fair bit of 'user variation'...  BTW do you know what level of EXIF data the phone camera records..?
The 100% crop is showing the following in FxIF:
Camera Make:     Sony Ericsson
Camera Model:    K800i
Image Date:        2008:11:05 12:34:29
Flash Used:         No
Exposure Time:   0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture:            f/2.8
ISO equiv:          80
White Balance:   Auto
Metering Mode:  Spot

The K750i is the same
The W902 shows Focal Length (5.2mm) as well
FyPuNK's Nokia 6600 shows date/time only
GruB's Motorola shows "Rotate 90" only

Most others have have the EXIF data stripped out (probably by "save for web"), except for Chris S' Nokia 6300i bridge shot, which interestingly shows up as a Canon Powershot A530

« Reply #74 on: 18 November, 2008, 10:34:31 pm »
Just discovered that if I host my iPhone photos on pbase, it strips the GPS info from them, and plots them on a map. How cool is that!

PBase Maps

This is going to come in very handy for audax snaps  ;D