Author Topic: Audax and Garmin  (Read 6203 times)

Audax and Garmin
« on: 18 March, 2021, 11:21:16 am »
Its amazing how many riders manage to ride 400+ audaxs today without little rests or a lie down. When everyone has Strava on the mobile app (ride time only)  its as if we're all on drugs. Audax and organisers could make money by having all runs X rated. If Strava had an automatic upload when the timer or unit was switched off that would sort out a large percentage of riders. Changed days from not being able to publish your times. 😄

Re: Audax and Garmin
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2021, 01:57:54 pm »
there is a field on strava rides called elapsed time ..........

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:00:07 pm »
Yeah, surely Strava just analyses the GPS track and gives you moving and elapsed times according to what proportion it deems you were moving?  Sounds like you'd rather it split everyone's ride into lots of smaller rides, which would be a UI nightmare.

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:21:35 pm »
There are plenty of people who stress over their stopped time, but that's (a) not a number Strava gives you directly and (b) mostly to improved their elapsed time and/or (c) to get back before the arrivee packs up.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:44:39 pm »
If you set the ride as a race on Strava, then it will display the elapsed time as standard. Maybe more useful.

Or create a segment for the whole audax, if you want to compare times.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2021, 04:24:25 pm »
That field is only visible on the desktop/website view,  not on the phone app

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2021, 04:29:48 pm »
elapsed time is the field you need here is an example

moving time 2:17:50

Elapsed Time   2:54:12

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2021, 04:53:19 pm »
That field is only visible on the desktop/website view,  not on the phone app

Visible in app after clicking view analysis.

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2021, 06:49:50 pm »
If you set the ride as a race on Strava, then it will display the elapsed time as standard. Maybe more useful.

Set your Audax ride as a race...  that's a whole can of worms just waiting to be opened. :)

I do find Strava's preference for moving time only rather useless.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2021, 06:54:30 pm »
My pet peeve ( and perhaps there's a workaround I don't know ) is you can't see time-of-day on the plots.

You are shown an elapsed time, which you must add onto the start time to derive time-of-day.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:02:34 pm »
There are plenty of people who stress over their stopped time, but that's (a) not a number Strava gives you directly and (b) mostly to improved their elapsed time and/or (c) to get back before the arrivee packs up.

I only care about (c), which is the reason I have autopause turned off and leave it running while I’m stopped at controls.

What time Strava displays to other users after the event is of no interest to me.

I don’t really understand the OP, to be honest.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »
Yeah, surely Strava just analyses the GPS track and gives you moving and elapsed times according to what proportion it deems you were moving?

I wonder if there’s a way to adjust the threshold... in theory, you could get round the whole route with zero moving time.. if you went slow enough, ironically.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #12 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:26:23 pm »
I cant see the word Strava without thinking of this https://twitter.com/stravawankers

« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:51:23 pm »
Its amazing how many riders manage to ride 400+ audaxs today without little rests or a lie down. When everyone has Strava on the mobile app (ride time only)  its as if we're all on drugs. Audax and organisers could make money by having all runs X rated. If Strava had an automatic upload when the timer or unit was switched off that would sort out a large percentage of riders. Changed days from not being able to publish your times. 😄

Sorry, but what is the point you're trying to make? WTF has Strava got to do with audaxes?

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:29:01 pm »
My pet peeve ( and perhaps there's a workaround I don't know ) is you can't see time-of-day on the plots.

You are shown an elapsed time, which you must add onto the start time to derive time-of-day.

Flybys give you time of day.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:47:19 pm »

Sorry, but what is the point you're trying to make? WTF has Strava got to do with audaxes?

I think the point he's making in his characteristically eloquent style is that if you post an Audax (or anything else) on Strava, then it's headline time is your moving time, not your elapsed time.
And that might suggest you completed the ride in a shorter time than you actually did.

As others have pointed out, elapsed time is also reported, albeit in smaller font!

Yes, Strava does some ego-massaging by reporting moving time.
That's what it does.
It's not an Audax-specific tool; it exists to get subscribers to pony up cash, and ego-stroking is a big part of that.

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:57:31 pm »
Its amazing how many riders manage to ride 400+ audaxs today without little rests or a lie down.
Well how many riders is that? Take a popular ride: Brevet Cymru, LWL or BCM, say, and let us know. And what do you mean by a '"little rest"? Does stopping in the Mariner's count, so you got something available to chuck on the climb out of New Quay up to Synod Inn? Who bounces (does not take a little rest at) the King's YH or the marvellous spread at Aberhafesp, or the Mark and Ritchie show at Llangattock?
Very, very few. I cannot conceive what you're "amazed" about.

« Reply #17 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:58:42 pm »
What’s Strava? Should I get one? Is it the future, and how do I look after it?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:06:16 pm »
What's the Strava app got to do with Garmin?

« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:10:53 pm »
Audax is about long distance cycling, plenty of riders can do 400 and 600 rides with short feeding stops that's what a 400 or 600 should be. Its when some decide to use the sleeping facilities then post 📯 up joined up rides, thats why X rated long Audaxs are better. Strava ( with the correct tools) is just like Facebook you need to look better than you are in the real world.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:12:16 pm »
What's the Strava app got to do with Garmin?

The former makes you really appreciate the robust software design and elegant usability of the latter?   ;D

« Reply #21 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:27:57 pm »
If it bothers you, then delete your Strava account or unfollow whomever it is you are following.  No one is forcing you to look at Strava.  Seems strange moaning about something you don’t have to do , and about the way a platform is setup. That’s just the way Strava rolls. If you want to stick with Strava then you can see the elapsed easy enough. No big deal.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:31:41 pm »
I you can't find Elapsed Time on the Strava feed on your phone, you're not looking very hard. It is there, under the Analysis tab.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #23 on: 19 March, 2021, 12:24:47 am »
What’s Strava? Should I get one? Is it the future, and how do I look after it?

It's like a tamagochi. If you don't feed it kudos every day, or if you forget to clean up its shit, it dies.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #24 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:51:26 am »
Its amazing how many riders manage to ride 400+ audaxs today without little rests or a lie down. When everyone has Strava on the mobile app (ride time only)  its as if we're all on drugs.
Audax is about long distance cycling, plenty of riders can do 400 and 600 rides with short feeding stops that's what a 400 or 600 should be. Its when some decide to use the sleeping facilities then post 📯 up joined up rides, thats why X rated long Audaxs are better. Strava ( with the correct tools) is just like Facebook you need to look better than you are in the real world.
Right, so you're not really 'amazed' at how many riders ride 400s or 600s 'non-stop'. You're grumbling (and care about!!) about riders uploading their rides onto Strava and the way that, looking at other people's rides on a mobile phone, the moving time is displayed.
I would have thought the moving time was interesting. For a long ride with AudaxUK sanction, why is elapsed time of interest, to you or anyone? Are you suggesting riders should not upload their rides to Strava (I don't btw)?
Why would 'X' rated long audaxes be "better"? Are you suggesting that most riders on one - the Buzzard (600) for example - do not book a place to sleep 3/5ths around. Most normal people riding a 600 have some long stops if not a lie down (the latter self-organised or organiser facilitated).
"Audax is about long distance cycling: a 400 or 600 should be ridden without sleeping." Is that your assertion? In this wing of the spectrum, is a lie down in an audax hotel OK?
This is a very interesting and troubling issue. I really want to understand the detail.