Author Topic: Ride London 2022  (Read 24132 times)

Ride London 2022
« on: 10 November, 2021, 10:03:22 am »
Entries have just opened.  I've entered - will be my first time.  I was tempted by the closed roads and the fact it's going through Essex where I do most of my riding.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Ride London 2022
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2021, 04:57:17 pm »
Have ridden it five times in the past on the old course and couldnt resist entering it again for next year.  Looking forward to seeing where it goes exactly and the start/finish points although I am assuming it will start again from the Olympic Park.  Where else can they start with so many riders.

Should be a brilliant day out though on closed roads and loads of people out to cheer everyone on.  Very much looking forward to it.

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2022, 09:31:53 pm »
The route has just been published. 80% of it is my regular training ride which I've done literally hundreds of times (including the bleedin' Epping Road which they murdered when resurfacing a few years back  ::-) )

Going to be a bit weird doing it with thousands of others.  Closed roads will be interesting - my only experience of that was the short roll-out on PBP.

No hills - I'd wondered where they would find any in a 100m Essex route from central London (on wide roads anyway).

Looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:19:02 pm »
It is being routed right passed my front door.   The roads aren’t inspiring.  If I wanted to show off the best this area of Essex has to offer, then I wouldn’t have cgone near 90% of them but I guess they didn’t have much choice due to the need to cater for 25000 participants.

Now all I need to do is to work out how to get my bike and myself out of the closed area given almost all the local feeder roads are shut all day.

« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2022, 07:37:19 am »
Do all the locals know about it? If so, I suppose it won't be long before the complaints start
coming in regarding the inconvenience they will have to endure.

felstedrider

« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2022, 07:38:19 am »
It is being routed right passed my front door.   The roads aren’t inspiring.  If I wanted to show off the best this area of Essex has to offer, then I wouldn’t have cgone near 90% of them but I guess they didn’t have much choice due to the need to cater for 25000 participants.

Now all I need to do is to work out how to get my bike and myself out of the closed area given almost all the local feeder roads are shut all day.

Looks like same issue for me.  Not going to be able to get out of our cul-de-sac.   Can’t wait to see the village Facebook group.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2022, 07:56:06 am »

The Dull Roads of Essex? Wouldn't be good Audax route! (Shhh we do have some little hills and lovely lanes ... best kept secret. ;)) It's Mrs Tomsk's birthday weekend, so we may miss it anyway - at least we can escape from Dunmow in most directions!

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:09:48 am »
Checked my Audax calendar. That’s AAA Milne day, so I’ll be well clear of the area.

Can’t wait to see the village Facebook group.

I hope you’ll light the fuse by suggesting they stand roadside and cheer the riders on …

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:15:16 am »

I hope you’ll light the fuse by suggesting they stand roadside and cheer the riders on …
Go on, I dare you. :-D

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:15:45 am »

The Dull Roads of Essex? Wouldn't be good Audax route! (Shhh we do have some little hills and lovely lanes ... best kept secret. ;)) It's Mrs Tomsk's birthday weekend, so we may miss it anyway - at least we can escape from Dunmow in most directions!

Well indeed, they aren't the nicest roads Essex has to offer, but all the great wee lanes wouldn't accommodate the volume of riders, unfortunately.  However those can be (and are) ridden with little traffic at any time.

I suspect this will turn into a moan-fest for those who are inconvenienced for a few hours, which is a bit sad.

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:51:55 am »
Do all the locals know about it? If so, I suppose it won't be long before the complaints start
coming in regarding the inconvenience they will have to endure.

To be honest, I have some sympathy.  There are a number of big 24/7 employers within 10 miles of me that will still require their employees to be in work.  Some of them now face interesting commutes to work when they live on long stretches of closed roads or in villages inside the closed loops. The ride is clearly trying to use parts of the 2014 TdF route but in joining snippets of a one way route to make a loop, it is going to significantly inconvenience some people, so yes I expect a moan and no doubt as a local cyclist I will experience the verbal backlash from some in months to come.

felstedrider

« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:13:09 am »

Go on, I dare you. :-D

I’m not actually a direct member.  I do get told what is going on and there’s definitely been some anti-cyclist ranting.  That said, many residents still talk (positively) about when the Tour came through.

felstedrider

« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2022, 05:30:34 pm »
We had a mail shot about a week ago.  I am at home that weekend so may stick a deckchair outside.  The route runs 50yds from my house.

I could be persuaded to provide refreshment/bottle refills/tools/loo, but we’d need some sort of code word so as not to attract everyone.  My location is in my user name.

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2022, 05:37:39 pm »
We had a mail shot about a week ago.  I am at home that weekend so may stick a deckchair outside.  The route runs 50yds from my house.

I could be persuaded to provide refreshment/bottle refills/tools/loo, but we’d need some sort of code word so as not to attract everyone.  My location is in my user name.

;D :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #14 on: 17 March, 2022, 09:26:56 pm »
Village Facebook group has woken up.  I am banned from responding as I might upset people.

If I needed to head off anywhere I can stick the car 500 yards down the road which is off the route.  Bloody cyclists.

« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2022, 08:51:39 am »
Sound like village pitch forks group

felstedrider

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2022, 10:21:21 am »
Sound like village pitch forks group

It was running about 50:50 last night.   'Road Tax' was comment number 3.

« Reply #17 on: 20 March, 2022, 12:07:43 pm »
I have charity fundraising places still available for RideLondon - Essex 100 if you missed out on a ballot place. DM me or:
https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/what-you-can-do/current-events/

email:
 fundraising@lymediseaseaction.org.uk

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2022, 11:05:36 pm »
It looks like I could be riding. Never done a sportive before and don't tend to do charity events because I ride those distances for pleasure. But a local charity that we and many good friends support asked if I'd consider taking up one of their places.

Just got to work out accommodation now. For choice I'd just go in on the train, but they don't run that early, it seems >:(

felstedrider

« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2022, 05:45:29 pm »
Every pothole within a few miles now has red paint around it.   I’m wondering if everything is going to be patched.  If so that’s a pretty decent benefit.

There’s been temporary lights on a bridge near me for over a month since someone hit a wall.   Not sure what they’ll do about that on the day.

« Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2022, 12:10:59 am »

Deadline to register for RideLondon-Essex 100 has been extended and will now close on Wednesday 4 May at 16:00.

Extremely limited places for the event still available.
Email:
fundraising@lymediseaseaction.org.uk

« Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2022, 08:20:20 am »
Every pothole within a few miles now has red paint around it.   I’m wondering if everything is going to be patched.  If so that’s a pretty decent benefit.

I'm doing the route today.  Will be interested to see if they've earmarked the drain-covers north of North Weald Bassett - some of those are wheel-breakers and have been like that for many years.

rr

« Reply #22 on: 30 April, 2022, 09:09:46 am »

There’s been temporary lights on a bridge near me for over a month since someone hit a wall.   Not sure what they’ll do about that on the day.
It seems the whole of Essex has been marked up.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2022, 03:48:07 pm »
I'm doing the route today.  Will be interested to see if they've earmarked the drain-covers north of North Weald Bassett - some of those are wheel-breakers and have been like that for many years.

Just realised the route doesn't go that way - it goes to Ongar via the main road.  Oh well - will have to wait another few years!

Essex was looking at it's prettiest in the sun today.  Folks who haven't ridden there before are going to get a pleasant surprise come the event.

« Reply #24 on: 30 April, 2022, 05:24:28 pm »
Whereas those of us who've done the ACME events are going to feel we're going back home, even those of us who aren't ;D