Author Topic: Hadleigh CC 'Gayford Flyer' sportive  (Read 3181 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Hadleigh CC 'Gayford Flyer' sportive
« on: 30 August, 2022, 11:42:55 am »
Not sure why I haven't posted about this before, but as there's only a week left to enter I'd better do it now!

It's only £15, includes refreshments mid-ride and a burger at the end, and visits some of the more picturesque parts of south Suffolk. 50km and 100km routes.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/265936/The-Gayford-Flyer---Hadleigh-Suffolk-2022

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Hadleigh CC 'Gayford Flyer' sportive
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2022, 11:49:49 am »
Who could resist it, with a name like that  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2022, 01:54:02 am »
Who could resist it, with a name like that  ;D

Large raspberry in your general direction!

Oswald Gayford was, in fact, a bit of an aviation hero in my little part of Suffolk (https://visithadleighsuffolk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2-GAYFORD-LEAFLET.pdf) and the road that I lived in at RAF Wattisham when my dad was OC111 Sqn in 1970 was Gayford Square. So, much as it might appeal to your primary-school-past-self, he was the real deal!

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2022, 08:47:38 pm »
Well said - Tim

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2022, 01:02:56 pm »
Have you got a date for the rescheduled event yet?

TimC

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2022, 01:26:14 pm »
No. We postulated various substitute dates over the September/October period and we haven't found one that's both free of other events and that all the helpers and suppliers can manage. We have a committee meeting next Monday which I believe will formally cancel the 2023 Flyer and discuss what we will do for next year (do we do one in the Spring and one in Autumn? Just one? On which date? Do we have a formal reserve date (or time on the same day) in future?). I'm not involved in the financial side, but I believe those that are are sorting out the refunds now.

We cancelled on the day because a number of local churches on our route promulgated QE2 remembrance services which neatly coincided with the time the ride would be passing them. Of course, several of our members are also members of those congregations and residents of those villages. We decided that our long-term relations with our neighbouring villages were more important than the ride, and so we cancelled. It's a great shame, but there we are.