Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 231416 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1350 on: 08 January, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
Utter class. Thought I could rant, obviously a lot to learn.

<We're not worthy!>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1351 on: 08 January, 2019, 01:22:39 pm »
Did the back seat have a recess for cuffed hands?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #1352 on: 08 January, 2019, 02:31:18 pm »
I didn't notice, but it lacked inner door handles for obvious reasons. This was some time ago so an old school Crown Vic, LAPD probably cruise around in SUVs and armoured personnel carriers these days. OK, they do have quite a few bicycle police down in Santa Monica/Venice. I suspect they'd be less keen to cycle around South Central. Quite a few of the older taxis in US cities are ex-police Crown Vics. (Apropos of nothing, the taxis in Addis Ababa are still (quite often) Trabants, which is cool until you hit the first pot hole and you realise the only shock absorber is your coccyx.)

I'm trying to think of some other bad meals I've had. To be honest, a lot of eating out has become a bit 'meh' unless you go upmarket and frankly I'm a downmarket kind of guy. I'm certainly not doing chains any more, I'm Johnny Awkward from now on. F&B was a particularly grim experience (I've never been to TGIFs, though I have been to a Hard Rock Cafe and I'm repressing the memory, trust me it would take a therapist with the pneumatic drill to unearth that particular trauma). The pub was a Greene King, and having once had the misfortune to taste their IPA, a fluid that I can only assume was micturated by incontinent baboons that have forced to drink excessive quantities of dirty dishwater, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Has anyone ever been to TGIF? I've looked through the window. I've always assumed everyone inside is being held hostage.

« Reply #1353 on: 08 January, 2019, 04:24:36 pm »
As a student I went to the Fulham Broadway one for someone's birthday; I don't really recall much other than that the rounds of cocktails hit my PSO budget hard.

I've only ever been to a Frankie and Bennie's once, for a colleague's leaving lunch, and it was actually surprisingly ok - I was expecting it to be terrible and it was ok. I do like the fact that the top TripAdvisor review for my local F&B simply says 'an expensive way to get gastroenteritis'.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1354 on: 08 January, 2019, 05:04:02 pm »
I remember as a young thing (late 1970s) being taken to a local food emporium in Maidstone called the Dixieland Diner. This was in the days before even McDonald's was common on the high street and authentic American restaurants still seemed quite exotic. My memories of the actual food are too dim and distant to be reliable but I bet that even in those culinarily unenlightened times it was better than you'd get from the likes of TGIF or F&B these days.

No, I've never eaten in either - and I have no intention of ever doing so.

Wetherspoons at least has the advantage that the prices genuinely correspond to the quality of the food, and it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1355 on: 08 January, 2019, 05:53:59 pm »
I have refused to go to work socials at F&B because a large % of the food is basically lactose deth. I'm not generally a fan of Italian(ish) stuff anyway cos I don't like the sort of food that isn't the lactodeth.

« Reply #1356 on: 08 January, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »
Has anyone ever been to TGIF? I've looked through the window. I've always assumed everyone inside is being held hostage.

I got taken to one in San Jose or Cupertino more than 25 years ago, before they got started here. The main attraction to my colleagues seemed to be the waitresses in cycling shorts. My main memory was a rack of barbecue ribs which was so large I felt a bit sick after eating it and literally could not watch my boss have a dessert afterwards.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1357 on: 08 January, 2019, 06:30:55 pm »
I remember as a young thing (late 1970s) being taken to a local food emporium in Maidstone called the Dixieland Diner. This was in the days before even McDonald's was common on the high street and authentic American restaurants still seemed quite exotic. My memories of the actual food are too dim and distant to be reliable but I bet that even in those culinarily unenlightened times it was better than you'd get from the likes of TGIF or F&B these days.

No, I've never eaten in either - and I have no intention of ever doing so.

Wetherspoons at least has the advantage that the prices genuinely correspond to the quality of the food, and it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

My bold.
I consider that to be a very acute observation.

ian

« Reply #1358 on: 08 January, 2019, 07:06:06 pm »
It turns out I have been to TGIF. Prague, c1999, we drank all the cocktails and gave the waitress a zillion per cent tip because we'd somehow lost the ability to calculate percentages (well, we were feeling the glow of generosity, not to mention listing heavily to starboard).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1359 on: 08 January, 2019, 08:36:33 pm »
(Apropos of nothing, the taxis in Addis Ababa are still (quite often) Trabants, which is cool until you hit the first pot hole and you realise the only shock absorber is your coccyx.)
That's curious, FiL had a Wartburg and that had really comfy suspension. The 2-stroke 3-cylinder engine produced a great deal of noise and smoke for very little forward motion and the body of the car was falling to pieces, but the suspension was great.

I have been to one, I seem to vaguely remember, at some sort of cousin-do. Can't remember the food. Have been to Hard Rock Cafe in Bangalore because someone wanted to be trendy but never to a Frankie and Benny's. The fact they always seem to be situated in shopping centres next to Pets at Home and Halfords is offputting enough.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1360 on: 08 January, 2019, 08:42:52 pm »
I don’t think F&B can be characterised as Italian. It’s supposed to be Italian-American, but it’s about as Italian-American as I am. I presume the concept was lost at sea and drowned somewhere between the two. They do have pictures of baseball players on the wall and unaccountably seem to broadcast Teach-Yourself-Italian lessons in the toilet. I don’t want to spend a long enough time in a restaurant toilet that I come out with a second language. Though it would be an excuse to avoid the food.

I’m sure all the food comes directly from catering suppliers ready to be mercilessly tipped in the fryer, or put in the microwave or oven by someone on minimum wage. According to the internet, the same company also owns Garfunkel’s, the hellish fate of unwary, hungry air travellers. I confess I didn’t know Garfunkel’s had escaped the security cordon of airport terminals, which is a bit like learning that smallpox is being let out on day-release from Porton Down. Airport terminals are awful places to be anything, but they’re worse if you’re hungry  They’re the only environment in which a Sbarro can survive. And those weird wok places with the trays of distressed oriental food that has been there sweating since the Ming Dynasty. US domestic terminals are the worst for this. They're the places fast food franchises have traditionally gone to die.

I’ve been to a F&B before, also with my parents (honestly, where the fuck else are we to go, they won’t eat anything that isn’t an overcooked steak or fish and chips). I don’t remember the food, but the trip was enlivened by my dad inadvertently eating a piece of rocket that had somehow sabotaged his fish and chips.

The also own Chiquito, a restaurant that actually tried to kill me (our entire university department, in fact), with the most awful case of food poisoning I’ve ever experienced. The only worse restaurant outcomes I can think of would have been liberally seasoned with novichok. I spent long enough the bathroom after that to have learned Mandarin. Though mostly I was focused on trying to keep my curdling internal organs on the inside. Twenty-plus years later my arse pipe still clenches reflexively when I think of that evening and the horrors it contained.

Wetherspoons is, I suppose, an avenue to grim calorific satiation. They might have a beer that’s drinkable whereas the competition would offer cooking lager and a bag of out-of-date crisps or be the sort of place that offer’s you a microtomed sliver of ‘artisan charcuterie pie’ for £14. I confess to staggering into a local one after a long hike, all these places thrive on convenience and indecision. The main thing that made me stop was Tim Martin being a cunt. He’s welcome to his opinions, but I don’t want them served up as an unsavoury side to my lukewarm pie. They did save us when we bought our first house as we’d neglected to secure an oven or even a semblance of kitchen that you’d want to spend time in and the only alternative was the sort of pub you’d cross the road to avoid. OK, you’d move to the next town to avoid, but London, and hey, it’s a house and we were debuting as underpaid mortgage slaves (and that next town was Lewisham). On the plus side you could buy jerk chicken and a side of hash from the Jamaican chap under the train bridge. He’s now been gentrified into oblivion, of course. (In other matters, and a symptom of modern times) some chap approached me in Herne Hill at the weekend and handed me his business card – this enterprising fella was offering marijuana home deliveries, so eat – or rather smoke – that Deliveroo.

Wagamama, not the worst, but it’s Asian food for people who aren’t sure if they like Asian food. It used to be OK as a safe bet but the last time I went (to the one opposite Fairfield Halls in Croydon, your dining options are pretty limited after 10pm in Croydon, come to think of it, they’re not exactly good before 10pm) it was basically a squabble of noodles that seemed to have drowned in a bowl of tepid stock and The Curry That Said ‘Meh.’ Not been since as they’re refurbing FH (I liked the 70s vibe). Basically any generic mall noodle bar in the far-east will do better and for quarter of the price. Or for practicality, go to one of the little Japanese places the dot the London suburbs, you’ll get better for half the price and have twice the fun.

Pizza Express. The put the average in pizza, the sort of place that says ‘I can’t be bothered’ in only a slightly less emphatic way than pissing yourself says you can’t be bothered getting up and going to the loo. It’s inoffensive pizza and its infinitely better than Pizza Hut because that’s not even difficult or, for that matter, possible to be worse (I think I’ve already ranted about the cheese frisbee we got from PH the other year). Or the sugary sludge spread on cardboard that Dominos purvey. Although I can only say this because I know Sbarro have been contained. But if Garfunkel’s has escaped, perhaps I should be wary… There’s a comforting sense of ennui to be had at Pizza Express, they’re the lift muzak of eating out, culinary smooth jazz, which just makes the gut punch of the bill more brutal than being hit by a car-sized doughball.

Nandos. I’ve eaten there several times and to be honest, I’m not sure why, because it really isn’t very good. Once you’ve got past the quirky ordering system (just shy of giving you an apron and the minimum wage and asking you to wait your own table), well, it’s just like any other chicken restaurant. Of course, there’s the phrase ‘cheeky nandos’ usually uttered by the sort of person who calls themselves ‘Mr Banty McBantface’ and induces sane people into perfectly reasonable murderous rages that any judge would forgive. But yeah, chunks of dull industrial chicken slathered with sauce which they call a marinade, though it doesn’t actually appear to have marinaded the chicken in any meaningful way, and a series of sides that have been under a heatlamp long enough to have caught a tan. If it was cheap and cheerful it might be OK, but it’s neither. It’s also now globally ubiquitous and everyone insists on taking you there because ‘everyone likes Nandos.’ It’s less of a restaurant and more of psychiatric condition, I swear its popularity must be spread by chemtrails.

Oh and all those ‘gourmet’ burger places like Byrons that basically serve the same dull, overcooked meat sandwich with a side of faceless corporation sauce, yours for £12. Factory-produced burgers slapped on a grill for an absolutely non-negotiable period of time.

We want cooking!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1361 on: 08 January, 2019, 08:53:28 pm »
Nandos. Never been. Never gonna.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1362 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »
(Apropos of nothing, the taxis in Addis Ababa are still (quite often) Trabants, which is cool until you hit the first pot hole and you realise the only shock absorber is your coccyx.)
That's curious, FiL had a Wartburg and that had really comfy suspension. The 2-stroke 3-cylinder engine produced a great deal of noise and smoke for very little forward motion and the body of the car was falling to pieces, but the suspension was great.

I only took a ride in one, mostly so I could say I had, it must have dated back to the early days of the Derg. They were generally in good nick though. The roads, typically less so. As is common in African capitals, they start building things and don't finish them, or the endpoint remains some indeterminate point in the future.

I forgot in my earlier commentary to mention Wahaca. The food is OK if a bit pretentious, but the service has been weird. The first one we went to was in Soho some years ago when it was a fairly new thing. We were lateish arriving but they took down our name and gave us a buzzer and off we went to wait in the bar (don't get me going on reservationless restaurants). Time passed and about 10.45pm, we were a bit, erm, they look like they're getting ready to start closing up. Oh, sorry, they said, we're closing when we mentioned this to them. So basically, they took our details and sat us in the bar, and then didn't bother to give us any food or even comp our bar bill until we complained to head office.

Several years later, when we'd finally let that slide (we're British and we may be reluctant to complain, but we'll god knows, we know how to sustain a grudge) and tried the one in Waterloo before a visit to the Old Vic. Half empty. Oh, sorry no tables, declares the maitre d'. Apparently, it wasn't possible with the number of wait-staff to serve any more tables, even though they were mostly standing around. Perhaps we're on a list.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1363 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:19:26 pm »
I don't know about Mrs ian but there can be no doubt you're on many lists.  ;)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1364 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »
I went into a Nandos once, one of those "everyone likes it" groupings. I sensory overloaded in about 5 minutes flat as I couldn't understand the ordering system, couldn't hear the humans (staff or friends) and people running around manically (staff and customers), horrifically noisy and evilly lit even before my brain sploded in 2015...

Never again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1365 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:35:44 pm »
Went with Edgware CTC when Wetherspoon's vacated and Nando's replaced.

Noisy
Tiny portions: I left HUNGRY and I'm not a big eater.
Generally poor VFM.

David has always hated Nando's. We had a laughably disastrous first date there. The relationship survived despite this but Nando's has been on his AVOID list since.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1366 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:57:06 pm »

I got taken to one in San Jose or Cupertino more than 25 years ago, before they got started here. The main attraction to my colleagues seemed to be the waitresses in cycling shorts. My main memory was a rack of barbecue ribs which was so large I felt a bit sick after eating it and literally could not watch my boss have a dessert afterwards.

I’m pretty sure they started here over thirty  years ago, (remembering a colleague going to one and then trying to fit than in timelinewise)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1367 on: 09 January, 2019, 06:08:32 am »

I'm struggling to think of any chain restaurant that prepares it's own food in house, and the only one I can think of is Yo Sushi. 

ian

« Reply #1368 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:23:57 am »

I’m pretty sure they started here over thirty  years ago, (remembering a colleague going to one and then trying to fit than in timelinewise)

Apparently, the TGIF 'concept' was founded as a singles bar on the Upper East Side in 1965 (thank you, internet). Of course, like everything, now owned by men with spreadsheets. The decor was supposed to be welcoming to the sensitive young ladies of the era. Not sure how they got from singles to a place that keeps people hostage and feeds their children sugar till they bounce off the windows like they're trapped in a big bingo ball machine.

I can't say I'm enticed, TGIF sounds like it's some kind of macabre manufactured cheer machine that makes me want to shout BUT IT'S FUCKING WEDNESDAY. I suppose back when it was a singles bar, if you got lucky, it could be fucking any day.

It can't be worse the Hard Rock Cafe. At least that wasn't disappointing, it's precisely what you expect, like they titrated despondency. Overdone catering fayre sinking slowly into its own swamp of sticky sauce while superannuated Hollywood stars gurn at you from the walls. Actually, I've made a horrid mistake, that's Planet Hollywood. I think HRC has guitars on the wall, but is otherwise identical. This means I must have been in an HRC and PH. The shame.

I confess I don't get the concept. I was reminded the other day of a short-lived lookalike venture, the Fashion Cafe, the same theme really, but instead of gurning Hollywood or plastic guitars, it was sponsored by everyone's favourite size zero supermodels, which suggested that perhaps the only thing underdone on the menu was the concept.

Is Angus Steakhouse still going, those little goldfish bowls of tourists in central London? I think when you've lived in London for a while you learn to edit them from your sensorium, they're only visible to tourists. If I recall, AA Gill once likened one of their steaks to eating 'old Enoch Powell speeches.'

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1369 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:43:02 am »
I didn't notice, but it lacked inner door handles for obvious reasons. This was some time ago so an old school Crown Vic, LAPD probably cruise around in SUVs and armoured personnel carriers these days. OK, they do have quite a few bicycle police down in Santa Monica/Venice. I suspect they'd be less keen to cycle around South Central. Quite a few of the older taxis in US cities are ex-police Crown Vics. (Apropos of nothing, the taxis in Addis Ababa are still (quite often) Trabants, which is cool until you hit the first pot hole and you realise the only shock absorber is your coccyx.)

I had a ride in the back of a Nevada Highway Patrol Crown Vic a few years ago and had to lounge sideways acriss the seat as the armour plating to stop perps knifecriming The Law left about as much legroom as you'd get in an Issigonis Mini.  They had a brief flirtation with Dodge Chargers after that but now have Ford SUV things.  Our mate The Sarge complains about them being limited to 130 mph ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1370 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:48:47 am »

I had a ride in the back of a Nevada Highway Patrol Crown Vic a few years ago and had to lounge sideways acriss the seat as the armour plating to stop perps knifecriming The Law left about as much legroom as you'd get in an Issigonis Mini.  They had a brief flirtation with Dodge Chargers after that but now have Ford SUV things.  Our mate The Sarge complains about them being limited to 130 mph ;D

You can recreate this experience in a Philadelphia taxi, they're still often unreformatted ex-police Crown Vics with the consequent zero leg room.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1371 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:53:31 am »
I was hitching in New Zealand somewhere in the Nelson area. The traffic was one car every couple of minutes, so when the one car was a police vehicle I didn't bother sticking my arm out. But they stopped.
"Mr Wilson?"
"???"
"You're not Mr Wilson?"
"No."
"Oh. I'm looking for Mr Wilson, who has a greeny-blue rucksack. Well, if you're heading to Nelson, I might as well give you a lift anyway."
Mr Wilson was, it tuned out, a missing person, not a crim on the lam. I'm afraid I don't remember any details of the car or even whether I sat in the back or the front.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1372 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:55:40 am »
It can't be worse the Hard Rock Cafe. At least that wasn't disappointing, it's precisely what you expect, like they titrated despondency. Overdone catering fayre sinking slowly into its own swamp of sticky sauce while superannuated Hollywood stars gurn at you from the walls. Actually, I've made a horrid mistake, that's Planet Hollywood. I think HRC has guitars on the wall, but is otherwise identical. This means I must have been in an HRC and PH. The shame.
Yes. Or do I mean no? I mean, when I said earlier I'd been to Hard Rock Cafe in Bangalore, I later had a moment's doubt as to whether it had not in fact been Planet Hollywood. Google suggests there's only one Planet Hollywood in all India and it's in Goa, so it must have been Hard Rock Cafe.

ian

« Reply #1373 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
I have a feeling that I ate in a PH in Vancouver, I don't recall why, it was a long time ago. If I recall, the HRC was in Oslo with a bunch of doctors from the local hospital (presumably in case if I choked on the sauce or it clogged an artery) who were unaccountably enthusiastic about the entire escapade. That said, Norwegians are curiously fervent about frozen pizza.

Before I judge too harshly, I was discovered gazing wistfully at the Pot Noodle selection in the Coop at the weekend. And not only have made a sandwich out of two slices of bread and a potato waffle, but I've gone above and beyond, and made a sandwich out of potato waffles with cheese and ham between them, which to be honest, ought to be on any menu.

And oh, if you're in Norway and face a pizza topping decision, go for the taco.

« Reply #1374 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:46:57 am »

About that, maybe a bit before. I was working for a company in Stratford (up)on Avon - those who live there will probably remember IDC on Timothy's Bridge Road - and we got the joy of outfitting the third (I think) UK outlet. I think the first may have been Covent Garden, the second on the Hagley Road in Brum, where we went for design inspiration.

The USP was that the internal layouts and decor (Tiffany lampshades, rowing 8's through walls, enameled advertising boards etc. etc.) were meant to be as close to identical in each outlet, so we pored over photos from the US versions in order to create a UK pastiche, as well as checking out the Brum branch.  I think we only ever got the one contract from them.

We only ate there once as we were usually in before service. What we did witness was the "team building" exercises they had every day, with the naming and shaming encouragement of those who'd under-performed the previous day.  I recall an indifferent burger, but they did have Molson on draught, which was a novelty back then.

As Ian says, the enforced jollity and "character" were heinous.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)