Author Topic: Online tracking  (Read 5311 times)

Online tracking
« on: 11 August, 2019, 07:30:30 pm »
I have two friends' frame number, but it's not apparent to me from the PBP website how to use that to track them over the weekend; I understand such a thing is possible. Will this become obvious, or am I missing something, please?

Re: Online tracking
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2019, 07:44:48 pm »
I think this is the link: https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=suivi_participants

I'm assuming it'll go live closer to the event, then you'd just bang in the frame number, and it'll give you a list of controls and times when they passed.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2019, 10:37:15 pm »

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:03:36 pm »
Seems to be semi there now
https://track.rtrt.me/e/PBP-2019#/tracker/RLKFG6B2

oh yes me too k222

looks like I've got my formal hyphenated 1st name "Graeme-Fraser" as well.   

Note to self - remember to actually get card stamped at every control.  I missed Loudeac on the retour in 2015 incurring a 2hr time penalty - not to mention a degree of concern among followers who thought Id DNFd until I resurfaced at Tinteniac the following morning.   

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:06:25 pm »
I’ve claimed my profile in the app. Any clue if it can do live GPS tracking? I’d be happy to run it if it does.

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »
I’ve claimed my profile in the app. Any clue if it can do live GPS tracking? I’d be happy to run it if it does.
Suspect it just shows when a rider has been through a control (and when) and on the app it offers an icon of its estimate of where the rider is, based on their average speed so far and how long since they last checked in and where. Except for complete 'control bouncers' this will over estimate (to a greater or lesser extent) how far the rider's got for most of the ride, becoming more accurate towards the end of each day's riding.

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:05:28 pm »

Errrr.. how would it do that ?

As I understand the number plate has a chip and that should check you in & out of controls.

PS I was wondering where the profile image came from.. looks like it just picked it up from twitter.

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »

Errrr.. how would it do that ?

As I understand the number plate has a chip and that should check you in & out of controls.

It was a chip that attached to the shoe when I did PBP in 2011.

Other events (such as Ride London 100) do tracking by people running the official app during the ride on their phone, that way the people running the event know exactly where those people are. For those that don't run the app it just does the interpolation guess work, which people give too much confidence to and is often wrong.

I doubt anything similar would work for PBP due to the length of it, running an app (with GPS and data enabled) for that long would be beyond most phone batteries. Something that woke up every 10 minutes, checked GPS position, uploaded it, and then slept for 10 minutes would be better, but still a massive drain on battery life.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:18:31 pm »
I’ll be running a location pinging app on my phone whatever happens, I just haven’t chosen which one. I use a phone for navigation and track logging, so have ample experience keeping them fed.

bairn again

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:49:46 pm »
Rider tracking in 2015 was also shoe / ankle / whatever based but relied on riders stepping over a timing mat that was about 2 metres away from "the card stamping bit" which had a strict one way system (which the French appear to love).

Of course when I failed to get my hard copy card stamped in Loudeac, I couldnt fall back on my timing chip cos officially Id done neither.

After taking my + 2hr medicine I suggested the timing mats might be moved further away from "the card stamping bit" but the response from ACP suggested that the mat had to be arranged so that folk went over it once (and once only) for it to work.     

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:56:01 pm »
Timing chips this year are on the frame badges. Hopefully it’s easier to arrange that everyone rides over the tracker.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2019, 05:01:06 pm »
The website seems to be pretty simple to track multipel people on through a link

https://track.rtrt.me/e/PBP-2019#/tracker/<coma separated list of codes>

Example using 2 people that have given enough info to find them on there:
https://track.rtrt.me/e/PBP-2019#/tracker/RLKFG6B2,RHPDK2Y8

You obviously need to find them by name or start number and then get their codes.

The search seems to struggle with VC 167; had to find the riders I'm interested in though searching the list of VCs

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2019, 05:26:52 pm »
As you add people it adds them on to the end of the url.  It's using cookies for this info as well as the ones you are tracking propagate across tabs as you add them.

Will need more hamsters and wheels though as tracking website is somewhat slow.

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2019, 05:38:47 pm »
At least the online tracking has a map this year, if I'm having a bad time, have a sleep and wake up not knowing what planet I'm on a bit confused like in 2015 when I did not know what day it was, I'll just be able to see where I am on the live tracking.

« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:32:58 am »
the online tracking has a map this year,
 I'll just be able to see where I am on the live tracking.
Yes, this is an interesting option for ?easy map access of one's rough (ie where you should be) position on a mobile phone.

« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
If anyone's running a SPOT tracker and keen for live tracking, dotwatcher.cc is collating tracker details to use in an interactive map. Will obviously only be a very small percentage of riders at PBP, but should provide some interesting context for your friends and family following along. Drop them a line on Twitter or over email (contact deets on the website) if you're interested in getting involved. They do some really great coverage around ultra-races and it'll be interesting to see how their foray into audax works out!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2019, 01:15:19 pm »
As you add people it adds them on to the end of the url.  It's using cookies for this info as well as the ones you are tracking propagate across tabs as you add them.

Will need more hamsters and wheels though as tracking website is somewhat slow.

Yes the cookies caused a few problems when sharing the Audax Ecosse riders on Facebook last night; just discovered today at work that despite clicking the link I shared yesterday it's added all the others I put in at work and e-mailed to myself fro the above purpose.

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:37:48 pm »
At least the online tracking has a map this year, if I'm having a bad time, have a sleep and wake up not knowing what planet I'm on a bit confused like in 2015 when I did not know what day it was, I'll just be able to see where I am on the live tracking.

I seem to remember, that last time, they had signs saying Paris or Brest and volunteers indicating which way when you left the control.  That was in addition to the signs to Brest and the signs to Paris having different colours.

« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:36:58 pm »
Hi all, as well as the official tracker DotWatcher has setup some commentary and a GPS map with a very small selection of riders. The map isn't yet live but the page to find it all on is here: https://dotwatcher.cc/race/paris-brest-paris-2019. Edit: the map is there but riders are yet to be added.

I've also got a good list of "Push Bikes of PBP" going here: https://dotwatcher.cc/feature/push-bikes-of-paris-brest-paris
If you'd like to contribute to the latter, you can email me a pic of your bike, your frame number and a few words about your bike/PBP to grace@dotwatcher.cc

Getting close now!! I'm excited/nervous.

« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:39:49 pm »

I seem to remember, that last time, they had signs saying Paris or Brest and volunteers indicating which way when you left the control.  That was in addition to the signs to Brest and the signs to Paris having different colours.

Yes there was Phil, stood in the middle of the road blowing a whistle and shouting out something intelligble about Paris or Brest and then waved their arm in a direction. But, I don't think it was all of them, maybe there was, but I noticed them at some point after Brest.

simonp

« Reply #20 on: 13 August, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »

Yes there was Phil, stood in the middle of the road blowing a whistle and shouting out something intelligble about Paris or Brest and then waved their arm in a direction. But, I don't think it was all of them, maybe there was, but I noticed them at some point after Brest.

At certain controls outbound and inbound riders overlap so they need to indicate both directions at the same time. Brest and controls east of Tintineac not so much.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:10:24 pm »
Hi all, as well as the official tracker DotWatcher has setup some commentary and a GPS map with a very small selection of riders. The map isn't yet live but the page to find it all on is here: https://dotwatcher.cc/race/paris-brest-paris-2019. Edit: the map is there but riders are yet to be added.

I've also got a good list of "Push Bikes of PBP" going here: https://dotwatcher.cc/feature/push-bikes-of-paris-brest-paris
If you'd like to contribute to the latter, you can email me a pic of your bike, your frame number and a few words about your bike/PBP to grace@dotwatcher.cc

Getting close now!! I'm excited/nervous.

Probably too late but Jane Dennyson is probably going to get a lot of shit if that's how she chooses to point her back light.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #22 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:06:27 pm »
Anyone any idea how to add a picture to your profile on the tracking site?
Thanks
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #23 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »
Thanks

Looks like it grabs an icon from Twitter if you link an account - could not see another option

« Reply #24 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:24:41 pm »
Thanks

Looks like it grabs an icon from Twitter if you link an account - could not see another option

Ah, that explains it. I'm not on Twitter.
Reine de la Fauche