Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134316 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15150 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:06:51 am »
Oh I figured it was intentional really but the image of confusing a chair for a bike amused me

You had me wondering what I had just varnished, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15151 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:24:27 am »
Dremelling of mudguards to fit with 2.1" tyres with knobbly bits
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15152 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:29:30 am »
Removed a fire hazard that has been niggling me for years.  Daughter's old room, in the loft at the far end of the house, has an unattended Ethernet switch in it plus several years of dust, whence danger of wall-wart failure & ignition with nobody noticing.  Our distal WAP, down one floor, hangs on this.  I took the switch out of the LAN and poked the end of the cable down to serve the WAP directly, remembering of course to protect the plug with tape so as not to snap off the pestilential wee locking tab as it went backwards through the wall.

Sounds trivial, but it involved squeezing through small acute-angled triangular spaces while dangling sloth-like from a thigh-thick beam and walking on my hunkers several times in both directions, scraping back and head on beams & studs, finding a long-dead bird and getting generally filthy.  I feel quite dazzled with my agility, endurance & general fu, and have in recognition awarded myself a third bar to my morning cuppa. Not to mention a fresh shirt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15153 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:36:17 am »
Dremelling of mudguards to fit with 2.1" tyres with knobbly bits

I initially read that as dreaming

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15154 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:08:32 pm »

Been trying to think of a new domain name for a project recently. And last night laying in bed unable to sleep, I had an idea that made me literally sit straight up. Then a quick google to check, and yep, noone had beat me to it.

So now, http://cetaceanneeded.com/ is mine...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15155 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:29:59 pm »
Excellent!
Ain't got no frikkin hooves!
What's the porpoise of your site?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15156 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:36:31 pm »
Excellent!

I don't know, I'm sure at this stage I orca know what I want to do with it, but I'm sure it's will fin it's porpoise. But right now I am still unsure. But my imagination is having a whale of a time thinking up ideas.

Worst case I'll use it as a home for all of my making/hacking/crafting projects.

I'm really amazed noone else beat me to this domain.

J
--

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15157 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:40:02 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Top punnage  :D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15158 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:41:39 pm »
--

« Reply #15159 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:58:20 am »
Finally got around to updating the three Garmins I have, a long drawn-out process (download starts at 6mb/min and sloooows to 600Kb/min by the end (some 4 hours later).  Also replaced all the batteries in the sped and cadence sensors.

Made sure the turbo was talking to Zwift, in time for the deteriorating weather.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15160 on: 21 September, 2020, 12:55:53 pm »
Excellent!

I don't know, I'm sure at this stage I orca know what I want to do with it, but I'm sure it's will fin it's porpoise. But right now I am still unsure. But my imagination is having a whale of a time thinking up ideas.

Worst case I'll use it as a home for all of my making/hacking/crafting projects.

I'm really amazed noone else beat me to this domain.

J
But until then you're all at sea and it's just floating there. Sounds fishy to me. Perhaps you're using it as a shell company?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15161 on: 21 September, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »
The 11mm thin Shimano spanner (fishing reel accessory; a bike one is unobtanium) turned up so I rebuilt the M525 pedals and stuffed them with calcium grease.  With very new SH51 cleats, there is NO float!

These have no lip seals (hence the full grease fill)  and spin very freely even when new, with just a bit of viscous drag.  1/8" bearings are better than 3/32", as well; but the pedals are BIG.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15162 on: 21 September, 2020, 08:31:52 pm »
I took the switch out of the LAN and poked the end of the cable down to serve the WAP directly, remembering of course to protect the plug with tape so as not to snap off the pestilential wee locking tab as it went backwards through the wall.

See rants passim about cable boots.

Of course I own the relevant crimp tool and a large bag of spare plugs, which trades easier cable-threading for having to do fiddly things invovling colour vision, likely with a torch, in a confined space.

Sounds trivial, but it involved squeezing through small acute-angled triangular spaces while dangling sloth-like from a thigh-thick beam and walking on my hunkers several times in both directions, scraping back and head on beams & studs, finding a long-dead bird and getting generally filthy.

When I was a teenager, my mum and I spent a weekend colonising one of those with boards and lighting.  We lost a perfectly good claw hammer down a cavity wall (remember, these were the days before Bastard Strong Rare-Earth Magnets) and gained many bruises, a hacking cough and a well-lit cupboard for storing long thin things.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15163 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:33:14 pm »
Changed the chain and 10sp cassette on a friend's Trek machine - with a max sprocket the usual 2 teeth more than Mr Shimano says is possible for a 105 rear mech.  Perfect.

Two bottles of red wine added to our wine rack  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15164 on: 23 September, 2020, 07:15:38 pm »
someone has vandalised my bike (bent a rim and broke two spokes by levering the bike against a sheffield stand). so i've swapped the rim to mavic a719, and finished building the wheel today.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15165 on: 23 September, 2020, 09:31:41 pm »
What a deeply shitty thing for someone to do  >:(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15166 on: 23 September, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »
What a deeply shitty thing for someone to do  >:(

indeed. whether it was an attempt to steal, to check d-lock's strength, or just vandalism - i can't tell. but they also tried to peel the duct tape from the downtube to see the brand (i've taped it over years ago and the tape is stuck solid now).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15167 on: 24 September, 2020, 05:35:37 am »
My brake cable snapped at the parking brake pin on my velomobile yesterday morning.

Oh great, with closed wheel boxes such jobs are a nightmare.

I discovered in our Box Of Bike Things we have 3 gear cables but no brake cables, so I hopped in the car and went to my LBS which was actually open (first time!)

Anyway, I managed to replace the cable in about half an hour, so that’s impressive! I only skinned two knuckles too!

This morning’s commute will be the test.

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15168 on: 24 September, 2020, 10:53:30 am »
Rewaxed chain, which has been noisy since I degreased & waxed it a couple of months back.  Tried heating it with heat gun (off-bike) to make the wax penetrate. We'll see.

El Prez says he gets a couple of thousand km on his chain between waxings. Seems extreme.

« Reply #15169 on: 24 September, 2020, 11:00:09 am »
Back in the 80s, my chain care regime included soaking it in a saucepan of hot (well, warm enough to turn it runny but hopefully not hot enough to catch fire or affect it's properties) grease on the cooker, the thought being that this would allow it to penetrate the inner bits better and return it as close to original factory lube as possible.

Not bothered doing that in the last 30 years though - nowadays it's a simple run through the degreasing brush tool thing and oil it up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15170 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:20:04 pm »
Yeah. Last year I got a bit (very) depressed and couldn't be arsed cleaning the bike.  I was using TF2, and the transmission got so bunged up I only got 4000 km out of a chain instead of ~7000, hence the switch to wax; but the racket the chain's been making when I push hard is making me think again. It had better work this time. 

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15171 on: 24 September, 2020, 07:28:57 pm »
my office, moved the desk through 90 degrees, you would not believe the palaver that this entailed, feels much more roomy though and a better set-up for the dual monitors
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15172 on: 24 September, 2020, 08:33:09 pm »
1.5kg of tomatoes from the lower 50 acres into a freezable tomato, onion and basil sauce. The basil also came from the lower 50 acres.

In related Div news, I sharpened the Big Knife this morning. This evening I confirmed it was Very Sharp Indeed as I knicked my finger with it. Slight blood loss, no Bad Swears.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15173 on: 26 September, 2020, 04:30:34 pm »
A sack full of kindling. Still another 2 Safeway grocery boxes of wood bits to kindlify but that's enough forearm abuse for one day.

« Reply #15174 on: 26 September, 2020, 05:04:22 pm »
This might be de-fettling, but the old filing cabinet which was in the room I'm using for WFH is now empty and in the back of the car waiting to go to the tip. Its contents are all over our spare bed. The cabinet was sufficiently aged that there was no interlock on the drawers and we couldn't remove them, which made getting it downstairs interesting.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."