Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166716 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18925 on: Yesterday at 08:40:07 pm »
Fitted smaller chain rings to the GRX double. Crikey it takes some torque to break the loctite. It’s now 44/28 teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #18926 on: Today at 11:51:48 am »
I changed the tyre of the hackbike, how memorable could that be?

The bike I bought from a local almost-bike-shop about 5 years ago, frame is a 21 speed Gary Fisher, it had clearly had a long life before me but it fitted my specification - reasonable frame, v-brakes, fixed rear axle for adding a hitch. For about three years I experimented with a zero maintenance approach which - if I could have found an easy replacement at the same £70 I paid for it - would have left me quids in. But, as I couldn't I started to spend money on it. One thing it had needed from the start was new tyres, the old ones had tread but were cracked to buggery. I got a couple of Panracers cheap (yes I know If I wanted to get to there I shouldn't start here - there being a place where changing tyre was simple). I managed the rear wheel, and put the front down as a job for some day in the future. Grandson-ham had been pointing out just how cracked the tyre was, so the time had come, I decided.

You know you are Not In A Good Place when you have to deploy the BFO Park Levers to remove a knackered tyre. The Panracer was clearly going to be a challenge, said levers were needed from about just past 10 o'clock to just before 2 o'clock on the wheel. First time, I take GREAT CARE to push the tyre in with my fingers. But, as not entirely unexpected, I punctured it. Ho hum start again.

This time I use a set of plastic tyre levers to push the tube in, taking my time, as I thought that would be better. What with the levers being thinner than my fingers.

Guess how many punctures using this careful approach.

(click to show/hide)

I found another old tyre.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18927 on: Today at 01:35:08 pm »
On the weekend, I knocked over most of the necessary work on my friend's Omega. The replacement rear wheel was properly dished and fitted with the garage stock chain and cassette and existing Marathon Plus. The rear derailleur was properly adjusted and the front derailleur was bodged. The chain has been rubbing on the cage in the middle ring and there is not much metal left, so it will need to be replaced soon. The rear brake pads were replaced from used garage stock but all the pads/ holders need to be replaced as the pad retention screws are corroded in place. A garage stock used front mudguard was fitted. The Brooks saddle tension nut a little tightened, which was much more trouble than you'd expect. Zip-tied the dynamo cable and adjusted both brakes’ worn pivots.

I still need to clean out the non-return valve on another friend's track pump after replacing the damaged chuck from garage stock.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18928 on: Today at 01:59:55 pm »
Rear cage extender for my long-cage Campagnolo Chorus derailleur. The shifts to the 30 & 34
sprockets are even smoother now. I'll be doing the same with my other two bikes once I've
fitted new chainrings, cassette and chains to them for their spring overhaul.