Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856703 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2150 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »
Last Sunday of every month?

That works. "Every last" is more emphasis than restriction - cf "Every last man was prepared to die for his country."

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2151 on: 18 May, 2012, 05:14:48 pm »
I've just received an email with the subject line "Letter's". I wouldn't mind so much but it's from my son's school.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2152 on: 27 May, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »
Spotted today at the Yorkshire Air Museum, which is on an old WWII airbase:

DSCN3139 by Panticle, on Flickr

Men fought and died so that we could have that standard of punctuation.... :facepalm:
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2153 on: 27 May, 2012, 08:26:17 pm »
NAFI means something quite different to me. (No Ambition, F'k all Interest).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2155 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »
Really? OMG!!!!!!!!11

I did actually spot that.  ;) :P

« Reply #2156 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
Given the quality of the rest of the notice, you might have thought the 2 As were a misprint....

« Reply #2157 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »
Yeah, you've got me there.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2158 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:16:54 am »

Not just the apostrophe problems, but the bland assumption that women don't drink beer and men don't drink pimm's or champagne.

This was at the White Hart, Margaretting Tye, where the WARTY partook of late afternoon refreshments.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2159 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »
A beauty...

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2160 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »
That is appalling.

They missed out the apostrophes on both "sandwiche's" and "filling's" :o
Getting there...

« Reply #2161 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »
It's also redundant as panini is Italian for sandwiches so it says "sandwiches, chips, sandwiches".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2162 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
Our local is called the Red Cow.  It was taken over a couple of years ago by a couple who'd never run a pub before and they've had a tough time, but they're happily paying someone to help them with marketing and promotion stuff and it's driving me absolutely mental.

As an example of the evidence I'll use in court after I've burnt the place to the ground, they're having a music festival this weekend - lovely - except it's not a music festival, it's a 'moosic' festival, with 'incredi-bull' bands under one 'hoof', for people feeling 'socia-bull' who want an 'udderly' special day.   They dont have a weekly pub quiz, it's 'moo-niversity challenge', they dont do a newsletter it's a 'moosletter' and you can follow them heifery day on facebook or twitter.

Swear to god, I'm going to torch the place.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2163 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »
A beauty...

Fillings? Who wants little bits of shaved metal in their paganini?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2164 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »
Our local is called the Red Cow.  It was taken over a couple of years ago by a couple who'd never run a pub before and they've had a tough time, but they're happily paying someone to help them with marketing and promotion stuff and it's driving me absolutely mental.

As an example of the evidence I'll use in court after I've burnt the place to the ground, they're having a music festival this weekend - lovely - except it's not a music festival, it's a 'moosic' festival, with 'incredi-bull' bands under one 'hoof', for people feeling 'socia-bull' who want an 'udderly' special day.   They dont have a weekly pub quiz, it's 'moo-niversity challenge', they dont do a newsletter it's a 'moosletter' and you can follow them heifery day on facebook or twitter.

What's your beef?  I think it's veally good.  If you had a steak in the business, you'd milk it for all it was worth.
Getting there...

« Reply #2165 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »

What's your beef?  I think it's veally good.  If you had a steak in the business, you'd milk it for all it was worth.

You!!  Outside! Now!  (i bloody knew someone would, and had my suspicions about who it might be..)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2166 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »
Just typing up the blurb on a new book. Who writes this copy - it was littered with mistakes and badly written all round. I had to correct it.

I loved this line:

Half a mile under Mont St Michel, Normandy, Adrian De Vere’s biological scientists and Lucifer’s dark Cabal Wizards release a weaponised toxin to decimate over a third of the earth’s population.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2167 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »
The rest are still using shillings.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2168 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »

You!!  Outside! Now!  (i bloody knew someone would, and had my suspicions about who it might be..)

O:-)
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2169 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2170 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »
drive normally

« Reply #2171 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »

American usage of "through" seen on a sign in the road in front of Buckingham Palace.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2172 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
Should be 'while' ;)
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2173 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »
Should be 'while' ;)

Bloody northerners. What's wrong with until?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2174 on: 31 May, 2012, 09:55:04 am »
One of my pet peeves

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.