Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856818 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2350 on: 20 August, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
For 'fewer' fans:
http://notwatchingpointless.wordpress.com/tag/brian-gullivers-travels/

"...
I was listening to a radio serial in bed this morning, Brian Gulliver’s Travels*, in which – much to my sleepy surprise – Brian found himself in the small town of Lessington, formed when the people of Muchington had come to blows over grammatical differences. In Lessington people now ate only chicken nuggets and drank sweetened water; books, newspapers and films longer than three minutes had disappeared, but people were happy. The breakaway town of Furington was full of insufferable pedants, and infinitive-splitting was a criminal offence.  Worst of all, they had created an ironic chicken nugget stand.
"

*on R4 this Wednesday. Series I was excellent - on R7 recently.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2351 on: 20 August, 2012, 02:30:58 pm »
Heard that a while back on R4extra. Oh, how I laughed.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2352 on: 20 August, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
an hotel, an historic hotel ... both flat out wrong, but I often see such things published in books and online. Who are these editors who allow such nonsense? You could have an 'otel if it was spoken colloquially, but an hotel? No. I'm not having that.  :hand:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2353 on: 20 August, 2012, 03:58:15 pm »
Is it not because we have borrowed those words from les Français, qui ne prononcent pas la lettre ache?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2354 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
an hotel, an historic hotel ... both flat out wrong, but I often see such things published in books and online. Who are these editors who allow such nonsense? You could have an 'otel if it was spoken colloquially, but an hotel? No. I'm not having that.  :hand:

I recall in episode of M*A*S*H a discussion of obtaining "an harmonica" (in taking the piss out of Charles Emerson Winchester III).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2355 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
Is it not because we have borrowed those words from les Français, qui ne prononcent pas la lettre ache?
Could be, but it's still wrong. If it's written, you pronounce the "h" (when reading in your head). And while I'm at it setting the world to rights, it's "aitch", not "haitch".

« Reply #2356 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:09:39 pm »
You mean like hospital?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2357 on: 21 August, 2012, 12:49:58 am »
Whether an initial H is pronounced in French-derived words is fairly arbitrary, & its pronunciation in particular words has often changed over time.

The use of 'an' rather than 'a' before words in which the initial H is pronounced usually reflects a relatively recent change to the pronunciation of H.

It's therefore obsolete, & should be deplored. Before an H which is pronounced, 'a' should always be used. 'An' should only be used before a silent H. When the pronunciation of H changes, the use of a or an should follow suit.

Obey, or I'll start in with "an herb", "an hospital", etc.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2358 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »
Obey, or I'll start in with "an herb", "an hospital", etc.
But if you're a USAian you would say "an herb" as for some unfathomable reason you pronounce it "erb"
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2359 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:13:26 pm »
There's a recent change in English English to pronouncing the 'H' in more words. 'An hotel' was the only acceptable version until the 1960s at least.

« Reply #2360 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:44:45 pm »
There's a recent change in English English to pronouncing the 'H' in more words. 'An hotel' was the only acceptable version until the 1960s at least.
Nope. May I quote Henry Watson Fowler (1858-1933)? He said an was "formerly usual before an accented syllable beginning with h," citing an historian, an hotel, an hysterical scene, an hereditary title and an habitual offender. He continued: "But now that the h in such words is pronounced the distinction has become anomalous and will no doubt disappear in time."

I can't think of anyone whose opinion on such matters is more respected than Fowler's.

PS. It's not a recent change. It's continuous. Words with an initial h which is not pronounced tend to switch to having it pronounced eventually. It's a result of literacy. And remember, it was originally pronounced in all of them, before the French went all Cockney.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2361 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:48:24 pm »
I would have accented the second syllable in all those words he lists.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2362 on: 22 August, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »
Britain's biggest retailer takes on local dialect (South London/Surrey)

« Reply #2363 on: 22 August, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »
Should be "owing to" anyway...

« Reply #2364 on: 22 August, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
It will likely also...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19342994

Is it incorrect grammar, or is it just clumsy? Or is it just me?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2365 on: 22 August, 2012, 10:04:43 pm »
It will likely also...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19342994

Is it incorrect grammar, or is it just clumsy? Or is it just me?
This is something that massively gets up my nose.

We say "probably" where Americans say "likely". For us, "likely" is a synonym for "probable".

However, I note TimO OTP uses "likely" for "probably" all the time so it is clearly crossing the Atlantic, although perhaps only amongst rocket scientists.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2366 on: 22 August, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »
However, I note TimO OTP uses "likely" for "probably" all the time so it is clearly crossing the Atlantic, although perhaps only amongst rocket scientists.

Only because it gets there faster.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2367 on: 27 August, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
Pretty sure I just heard "bandwaggoned" from a R4 presenter. [should that have 2xg ? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2368 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:57:15 am »
"vinyls" instead of "records". Used in sentences such as "They brought some vinyls round for me to listen to." . It seems a recent construction. Records always used to be the plural (or LPs or 45s if you wanted to be more specific). Vinyl was used as a collective noun as well as in "we played some vinyl" but vinyls whilst I guess grammatically correct simply grates in the same way that "legos" does for more than one lego brick.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2369 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:01:44 am »
Yes, "vinyls" would grate with me too. I cannot explain why! I know similar terms are common elsewhere, such as "acetates".

( "vinyls" would be more appropriate to describe - say - a group of different "xyz-vinyl" chemicals. A bit like "esters". )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #2370 on: 28 August, 2012, 11:00:24 am »
... simply grates in the same way that "legos" does for more than one lego brick.

Lego is the company. It makes Lego bricks. Legos to me implies mulitple companies. Lego bricks sounds like multiple Lego pieces, brick shaped or not. Colloquially I hear, "We've got some Lego you can borrow." I think of Lego like sand, there are so many pieces that we treat it as a non-countable item.

Me too but try telling that to an American.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2371 on: 28 August, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »
Oay, the penny drops. Or the cent or dime, I wonder how Americans say they now understand.

The sense of the phrase is probably so rare that there isn't a colloquialism.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2372 on: 28 August, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »
Medalling, podiumed .... I give you:

"
"The [Olympic] village did have to be Paralympified," says director of Paralympic integration Chris Holmes.
"

:facepalm:   ;D

(why is Chris Holmes not the Director of Paralympification ? Eh! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2373 on: 28 August, 2012, 05:38:27 pm »
Two separate lawyers this morning, two separate occurrences of "with whom he was living with."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2374 on: 28 August, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »
(If you didn't like broccoli, which would be a better way of putting it: "I don't like broccoli" or "broccoli is not a food"?)

Yebbut, broccoli is not a food...  :sick:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."