Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856706 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2975 on: 28 November, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
I don't get it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2976 on: 28 November, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »
You're going to get it, one way or another.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2977 on: 28 November, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
If this word has (at least) 10 OED-approved meanings, then there are probably situations where it will create uncertainty. The "latte incident" appears to be one of them.

So I would recommend using a more clearerer wording. "May I ..." is also more polite, a double-win!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2978 on: 28 November, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »
If this word has (at least) 10 OED-approved meanings, then there are probably situations where it will create uncertainty. The "latte incident" appears to be one of them.

There are 34 major and 94 minor senses of get in the OED, so nearly every use of the word has lots of ambiguity. But there's nothing particularly special about get in this respect: most common English words have multiple meanings. Ambiguity is inherent in the language, and coping with ambiguity is a mark of fluency in the language.

So I'm puzzled by the comments (from Tim Hall originally and later from T42—though possibly repudiated in the latter case) where posters claimed to be having trouble with the use of get in the sentence "can I get a latte?" Either these comments are confessing to a surprising level of disfluency in English, or they are being insincere in their claim not to understand this meaning of the word get. (I guess there's a third possibility: they really do understand the meaning of the word, but they object to some other aspect of the word—perhaps its register, or its association with American usage—but they have trouble explaining that, and light on the lexical ambiguity as a way out of the difficulty. But I don't know: as I say, I'm puzzled.)

I should be careful about coming down too hard here: difficulty with lexical ambiguity resolution could be due to language impairment or autism spectrum disorder. So I apologise if that's the case for anyone posting here.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2979 on: 28 November, 2013, 09:26:46 pm »

There are 68 senses of get in the OED, so nearly every use of the word has lots of ambiguity. But there's nothing particularly special about get in this respect: most common English words have multiple meanings. Ambiguity is inherent in the language, and coping with ambiguity is a mark of fluency in the language.

So I'm puzzled by the comments (from Tim Hall originally and later from T42—though possibly repudiated in the latter case) where posters claimed to be having trouble with the use of get in the sentence "can I get a latte?" Either these comments are confessing to a surprising level of disfluency in English, or they are being insincere in their claim not to understand this meaning of the word get. (I guess there's a third possibility: they really do understand the meaning of the word, but they object to some other aspect of the word—perhaps its register, or its association with American usage—but they have trouble explaining that, and light on the lexical ambiguity as a way out of the difficulty. But I don't know: as I say, I'm puzzled.)

I should be careful about coming down too hard here: difficulty with lexical ambiguity resolution could be due to language impairment or autism spectrum disorder. So I apologise if that's the case for anyone posting here.

Including, perhaps...?

Re my "long arms" comment: that was, of course, interpreting get from the point of view of the barista's reply.  Pardon me for neglecting to make that even more blindingly obvious that it already was.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2980 on: 28 November, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »
Re my "long arms" comment: that was, of course, interpreting get from the point of view of the barista's reply.

Yes, I got that, thank you. What I'm saying is that a barista who replied in that way would be misunderstanding or insincere.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2981 on: 28 November, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »

There are 34 major and 94 minor senses of get in the OED, so nearly every use of the word has lots of ambiguity. But there's nothing particularly special about get in this respect: most common English words have multiple meanings. Ambiguity is inherent in the language, and coping with ambiguity is a mark of fluency in the language.

You say "there's nothing particularly special about get in this respect: most common English words have multiple meanings."
Yet in your post above - with its many words! - I didn't sense any ambiguities.

So the phrase "can I get a latte?" seems to have a very high ambiguity/word_count!
Sure, most people would correctly guess the intended meaning - but avoiding ambiguity is a good thing, all else being equal. There are several common words that could have been used instead.

I'm not saying "get" was wrong in this context - just that there were much better wordings available. IMHO!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2982 on: 28 November, 2013, 10:47:56 pm »

There are many ambiguities (just from the first paragraph, consider lots, common, inherent, language, coping and mark), but you're a fluent English speaker so you have no difficulty picking among these meanings to find an interpretation that makes good sense.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2983 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:02:39 pm »

There are many ambiguities (just from the first paragraph, consider lots, common, inherent, language, coping and mark), but you're a fluent English speaker so you have no difficulty picking among these meanings to find an interpretation that makes good sense.
OK, fair point. but I still believe that with its "34 major and 94 minor senses of get in the OED" this tiddler can create a LOT* of ambiguity. Hence it's a word to avoid where practicable.

[I only know one meaning for inherent and coping (as a verb anyway!). But I'm not as fluent as thee.]

*Hope that was clear!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2984 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:36:34 am »
Re my "long arms" comment: that was, of course, interpreting get from the point of view of the barista's reply.

Yes, I got that, thank you. What I'm saying is that a barista who replied in that way would be misunderstanding or insincere.

Insincere? I wouldn't put it that way, but I'd say that he might just be an Eng. Lang. moonlighter administering a deserved correction by deliberately misinterpreting the request.

red marley

« Reply #2985 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:47:08 am »
Maybe coffee was being served by a barrister with a good command of English who applied for the job over the phone.

citoyen

« Reply #2986 on: 29 November, 2013, 11:06:18 am »
Insincere? I wouldn't put it that way

No, maybe disingenuous would be a better word.

« Reply #2987 on: 29 November, 2013, 11:15:52 am »
The joy and irritation of English is how it can be twisted, mangled, subverted, inverted and still make sense. Of course, the English lost control of English some time ago. Here's some twisted language for you:-

Me up at does

out of the floor
quietly Stare

a poisoned mouse

still who alive

is asking What
have i done that

You wouldn’t have

« Reply #2988 on: 29 November, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »
Insincere? I wouldn't put it that way, but I'd say that he might just be an Eng. Lang. moonlighter administering a deserved correction by deliberately misinterpreting the request.

Deliberate misinterpretation is a form of insincerity (the OED says "insincere, adj. assuming a false guise in speech or conduct" which seems to accurately describe someone who is pretending to misinterpret). But more importantly, your phrase "deserved correction" assumes what's under dispute here. How can a deliberate misinterpretation possibly be a "correction"? If the question was understood, what is there to correct?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2989 on: 29 November, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »

Deliberate misinterpretation is a form of insincerity (the OED says "insincere, adj. assuming a false guise in speech or conduct" which seems to accurately describe someone who is pretending to misinterpret). But more importantly, your phrase "deserved correction" assumes what's under dispute here. How can a deliberate misinterpretation possibly be a "correction"? If the question was understood, what is there to correct?

Should the aim be to simply understand?  In a real-life coffee-shop, perhaps, but I rather think the example was invented to push things to the extreme as an illustration.

citoyen

« Reply #2990 on: 29 November, 2013, 05:11:42 pm »
Should the aim be to simply understand?  In a real-life coffee-shop, perhaps

QED

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2991 on: 30 November, 2013, 11:50:00 am »
The joy and irritation of English is how it can be twisted, mangled, subverted, inverted and still make sense. Of course, the English lost control of English some time ago. Here's some twisted language for you:-

Me up at does

out of the floor
quietly Stare

a poisoned mouse

still who alive

is asking What
have i done that

You wouldn’t have
I, up and doing,
out of the door,
calmly look at
a poisoned mouse,
who, still alive,
is asking, What
have I done that
you wouldn't have?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2992 on: 30 November, 2013, 03:12:00 pm »

Me up at does

out of the floor
quietly Stare

a poisoned mouse

still who alive

is asking What
have i done that

You wouldn’t have
I, up and doing,
out of the door,
calmly look at
a poisoned mouse,
who, still alive,
is asking, What
have I done that
you wouldn't have?

A poisoned mouse, still alive, quietly stares up at me from the floor, asking 'why have you done that? I wouldn't have'.

I'd love to know the actual answer Ian H!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2993 on: 30 November, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »

You 'd have to ask the American poet, E.E. Cummings.*

*Cue for someone to get tiresome about capitals.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2994 on: 01 December, 2013, 01:03:25 am »

I can be tiresome at 1 in the morning after a long day's drinking.

Oh, I believe you mean e e cummings.

Yah boo.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2995 on: 02 December, 2013, 12:17:11 am »

I can be tiresome at 1 in the morning after a long day's drinking.

Oh, I believe you mean e e cummings.

Yah boo.

The Wikipedia entry (yeah, I know ...) suggests that Ian H did in fact mean E. E. Cummings, with one of the references supporting the idea that the poet himself preferred E.E. Cummings, at least when it came to the title page of one of his books ...

(Yes, there's a difference in the spacing there. I can be tiresome too.)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2996 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:41:36 pm »
The OED says:

Quote from: OED
early doors
A. n. In a theatre, etc.: a period of admission ending some time before the performance begins, during which a wider selection of seating is available, usually for a higher price. Now hist.
B. adv. Early on; near the beginning. Freq. in the context of Association Football.

First quote for sense A is from 1883; for sense B from 1979.

See the bottom of this 1916 theatre poster for an example whereas this one also from 1916 is quite clear - "No early doors".
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

« Reply #2997 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:28:01 pm »
http://toys.usvsth3m.com/control-your-inner-pedant/

The results are in! Your inner pedant is
80% under control
You can tollerate most mistakes.

Actually, my inner pedant wanted to point out that several of the examples aren't actually misteaks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2998 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
http://toys.usvsth3m.com/control-your-inner-pedant/

The results are in! Your inner pedant is
80% under control
You can tollerate most mistakes.

Actually, my inner pedant wanted to point out that several of the examples aren't actually misteaks.
Is that part of the test?

citoyen

« Reply #2999 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »
;)