Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856789 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3625 on: 20 June, 2015, 05:12:52 pm »
NYT on Francis's late encyclical reported him as saying that global warming results in people being dislocated. Makes a change from the old method with a horse at each corner.

As the encyclical would have been initially promulgated in Latin, is the NYT quoting from an official English translation?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3626 on: 20 June, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »
Gifted is horrible and confusing. Consider:

The girl was gifted.

Does this mean the girl had a special talent or someone gave her away? Are we talking about slavery or a concert pianist?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3627 on: 21 June, 2015, 12:49:59 am »
The trail for some programme coming up on the BBC Radio 4

Some scientist, in awe-struck voice

"Chimpanzees and human beings are ten times more similar than a mouse is from a rat." 

No, she was not using English as a second language.  I'll give her the benefit of nerves, otherwise marking her thesis becomes unimaginable.

« Reply #3628 on: 21 June, 2015, 08:27:13 am »
"To gift" has become overused recently, and it often sounds a bit silly or unnecessary. However, it's very useful if you need to show that something was given permanently and without recompense. If you just "give" something to someone, you might just be passing it to them.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

red marley

« Reply #3629 on: 21 June, 2015, 08:31:15 am »
I vote for using a more English alternative to "to gift". How about "to present", with the stress on the first syllable. That should clear things up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3630 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:49:10 am »
I reckon you can use any word you like as a verb as long as it's comprehensible, not excruciating, and not pompously overblown (as in "gifted").

Once you removed words that fall into one of these categories, though, that doesn't leave many ;D  Albeit that the overblownity or excruciatitude is entirely subjective.

"Gifted" might work in a discussion between Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker about a particularly feeble piece of defending resulting in the simplest of tap-in goals, but not in most circumstances descibed in this thread.  Trousering has been around for yonks and to me has conveyed the meaning than the sum of money trousered is rather more than just small change, which would be pocketed instead.

I have visions of a poacher hiding a salmon or two, as in that lovely poem "Poaching in Excelsis".

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3631 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:02:42 am »
I vote for using a more English alternative to "to gift". How about "to present", with the stress on the first syllable. That should clear things up.
Excellent! To receive a present then becomes "to absent". The people involved are then the "presenter" and the "absenter". Alternatively, the person who has something "presented" to them becomes the "presentee" with the one who no longer has it being the "absentee". People who object to this are "dissenters".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3632 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:19:08 am »
Presently = like a present.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3633 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:51:41 am »
Absently = like absinthe. Barman, over here please! (Da-na-na-na-na Barman! The coked crusader!)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3634 on: 21 June, 2015, 05:37:28 pm »
Absently = like absinthe. Barman, over here please! (Da-na-na-na-na Barman! The coked crusader!)

Makes the heart grow fonder.

(dies)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3635 on: 21 June, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »
Is it true that there is only one lake in the Lake District?

Yep, Bassenthwaite Lake. There's also one Moss. All the others are Meres, Waters or Tarns :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3636 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:57:09 pm »

Makes the heart grow fonder.

(dies)

I heard the punchline as  "makes the farts go Honda"
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3637 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:58:01 pm »
That's not a nice thing to call Ron Dennis!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3638 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:56:11 am »
Makes the tart grow fonder (Dowson).

Me own outing of offgepissedness this unfair morn is with ignorami who use velocity and speed interchangeably.  "It's growing at an incredible velocity" of a quasi-spherical object is a load of Beaux Locks.

BTW, what pisses me off about living abroad is that if I make an error in French I'm an ignorant furriner whereas if they make an error it's a typo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3639 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:01:51 am »
Whereas here on YACF we make allowances for you in both respects.  :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3640 on: 22 June, 2015, 11:40:36 am »
I saw a temporary  sign in a supermarket yesterday, explaining that due to a technical fault "sandwiche's, toastie's and panini's" were not available. This had been hand corrected by biro, scribbling out the offending apostrophes, as is often the case. As a bonus, the terminal "s" on "panini's " was also obliterated, as panini is already a plural. Waitrose customers FTW.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3641 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:26:50 pm »
Panini as a plural sounds fine, but then what's the singular? Panino? That sounds odd in English.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3642 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:54:32 pm »
Panini as a plural sounds fine, but then what's the singular? Panino? That sounds odd in English.

Si. Italian innit.  Of course there's a whole other argument that if one is speaking English then English plural forms should be used, so perhaps it should be panino and paninos.  See also stadium and stadia.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3643 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »
You mean "to give", don't you?  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3644 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:10:48 pm »
In my view, a sentence using "favorite" as a verb is already clunky and inelegant - and American.  However, I can see you are in a difficult editorial position if you are going to use articles which contain internet-speak.

I don't see it as a difficulty. Many nouns become verbs through common use and eventually take hold in more formal language despite resistance.

Ask yourself this: are you resisting the usage on strong grammatical grounds, or simply because it's a neologism?

Neologisms are inevitable in a developing language, which English is.  However, I don't think that means that because a neologism exists that I am required to approve of it.  And that is not Luddite but love of a language I feel is usually perfectly adequate already for most purposes; not only adequate but beautiful.  "Favorite" isn't even English, but even if it was, its use is a distortion: how can you have any number of favo(u)rites?  (I must confess I'm only making an assumption about how it is used, as I don't use FB, twitter and so on.)

But my original post just said I find it clunky and inelegant.  I'm perfectly happy with that!
+1  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3645 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:26:41 pm »
You lot are as bad as Michael Gove...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33223503
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3646 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:29:04 pm »
Gove is a rank amateur. We wouldn't even let him on the forum.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3647 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:32:20 pm »
I should hope not.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3648 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »

Si. Italian innit.  Of course there's a whole other argument that if one is speaking English then English plural forms should be used, so perhaps it should be panino and paninos.  See also stadium and stadia.
Perhaps it "should" be paninos but it isn't. There's quite a tradition in English of borrowing foreign plurals and using them as either singular or uncountable. Quite a lot of them are Italian food items, in fact: spaghetti, macaroni. Russian seems to be another good source. At a guess it's because the formation of plurals in those languages is so different from the way we do it in English.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3649 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:34:46 pm »
Anyway, here's one my son brought home from his not-yet secondary school:
Students will be ready to leave at 12:00pm, please make sure your son / daughter are being collected from [street].