Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856840 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3875 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »
One of my Northamerician colleagues used to use it but I can't remember whether it was the one from WV or BC. It's also mentioned in various comparative dialect type sources.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3876 on: 09 November, 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
I understand the time right now is a quarter of three, for some Americans.

Yebbut do they mean 14:45 or 14:15? 14:15 would be translated German idiom.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3877 on: 09 November, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »
14:15 would be the way I'd understand it too, but in fact it's 14:45.

Cudzoziemiec

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3879 on: 09 November, 2015, 05:13:53 pm »
From the comments it's clearly a common East Coast US expression.

The medieval 'half hour to five' is interesting in this context, as is 'back of', which I always think of as an Americanism for 'behind'. But if you think of 'back of beyond' perhaps it remains in use in British English too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3880 on: 09 November, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »
Yes, but we would say "it's at the back of beyond" rather than "it's back of beyond".

« Reply #3881 on: 09 November, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
Stephen King uses 'quarter of' a lot in his books.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3882 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »

Oh dear.  I would appear to have no fewer than fifty-five books by Mr King in The Library.  I may have to shoot myself instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3883 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:15:14 pm »
Time to do "quarter of"?

Nowt wrong with for e.g. a quarter of wine gums in the days when sweet shops sold sweets from big jars on shelves behind the brown-coated proprietor, in paper bags

(Exit, muttering about jumpers for goalposts)

A quarter? I could never afford more than an eighth.

Oh, you really did mean wine gums.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #3884 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:32:58 pm »
"Smarts", not being a form of the verb to smart, describing a particular type of pain, but something to do with talents or abilities or intelligence.

Yesterday I discovered that it is now being taught in schools in this country.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3885 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »
"Smarts", not being a form of the verb to smart, describing a particular type of pain, but something to do with talents or abilities or intelligence.

Yesterday I discovered that it is now being taught in schools in this country.  :facepalm:

I thought 'smarts' was an undesirable alien Americanism.
I came across it when reading about sporting endurance early in my Audax career.

« Reply #3886 on: 09 November, 2015, 11:24:21 pm »

The medieval 'half hour to five' is interesting in this context, as is 'back of', which I always think of as an Americanism for 'behind'. But if you think of 'back of beyond' perhaps it remains in use in British English too.
'Back of' is not uncommon in Scots for the first quarter past the hour, at least it was when I lived in rural Aberdeenshire.

« Reply #3887 on: 09 November, 2015, 11:49:29 pm »

'Back of' is not uncommon in Scots for the first quarter past the hour, at least it was when I lived in rural Aberdeenshire.

I'm not sure I'd see it as being even that precise - I'd hear "back o'nine" as "a bit after nine" and see it as pretty much any time up til 9:30, albeit with an emphasis towards the earlier part. That might just reflect my lackadaisical approach to timekeeping though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3888 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:30:30 am »
Makes sense to me. Back of = behind = after. Not that I'd necessarily have understood it without the explanation, though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3889 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:50:46 am »
Begs the question of which way nine is facing. Are we creeping up on it from behind or is it facing us?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3890 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:56:51 am »
9 is the right way up, standing on one leg with its head up. 6 is standing on its head.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3891 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:27:46 am »
Gotcha. Thanks for that.

« Reply #3892 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:25:06 pm »

Oh dear.  I would appear to have no fewer than fifty-five books by Mr King in The Library.  I may have to shoot myself instead.
...but if you were a true Constant Reader, you would have referred to him as Sai King, instead.  Does that absolve you?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3893 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:32:52 pm »
I thought he played drums for Hawkwind after Terry Ollis left?

Anyway I can't be a true Constant Reader coz I've only read the first book of the Dark Wossname series, which did not inspire me to read any more once they were actually written.

« Reply #3894 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:10:26 am »
... I've only read the first book of the Dark Wossname series, which did not inspire me to read any more once they were actually written.
I was feeling similarly uninspired by The Gunslinger but will add my voice to the doubtless many who will have told you that it is worth persevering.  The Drawing of the Three is much better (Wizard and Glass is utterly brilliant), and many of the things that seemed weird and disjointed in The Gunslinger will only make sense in the context of the later books. 

And I don't think King uses 'quarter of' very much in any of them.  ;)

(Edit to add: because I'm a sad bastard, I checked this and found 4 'quarter of's, all in The Waste Lands.  Interestingly, King uses 'quarter to' twice in Wolves of the Calla and twice in The Dark Tower.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3895 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
... I've only read the first book of the Dark Wossname series, which did not inspire me to read any more once they were actually written.
I was feeling similarly uninspired by The Gunslinger but will add my voice to the doubtless many who will have told you that it is worth persevering.

Actually you're the first.  And my "to-read" pile is big enough already without wanting to add another four thousand pages.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3896 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »
I was feeling similarly uninspired by The Gunslinger but will add my voice to the doubtless many who will have told you that it is worth persevering.  The Drawing of the Three is much better (Wizard and Glass is utterly brilliant), and many of the things that seemed weird and disjointed in The Gunslinger will only make sense in the context of the later books. 

And I don't think King uses 'quarter of' very much in any of them.  ;)

(Edit to add: because I'm a sad bastard, I checked this and found 4 'quarter of's, all in The Waste Lands.  Interestingly, King uses 'quarter to' twice in Wolves of the Calla and twice in The Dark Tower.)
It's possible that some were edited for BritEng readers and some not.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3897 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:31:18 pm »
I thought he played drums for Hawkwind after Terry Ollis left?

And is now a TV chef (and occasional radio disc jockey).
Getting there...

« Reply #3898 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:06:05 pm »
I was feeling similarly uninspired by The Gunslinger but will add my voice to the doubtless many who will have told you that it is worth persevering.
Actually you're the first.  And my "to-read" pile is big enough already without wanting to add another four thousand pages.
Furry muff.

It's possible that some were edited for BritEng readers and some not.
That's quite possible.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3899 on: 15 November, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »
As the Gneisenau closed on Cape Pembroke, its senior gunnery officer spotted the three-legged tripod masts characteristic of Dreadnoughts.