Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856937 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #4350 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:03:08 am »
I really don't think I like this sentence the chap says (talking about the new Heathrow runway):

He said many other airports around the world had built runways over motorways.

It would involve "a very gentle hill up which the planes can take off".
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4351 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:18:11 am »
I really don't think I like this sentence the chap says (talking about the new Heathrow runway)

It certainly doesn't win any prizes for elegance, but you can see why he has gone with it that way.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4352 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:53:54 am »
A very gentle slope from which the planes can take off...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4353 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:00:41 am »
A very gentle slope from which the planes can take off...

or a runway that is sloped very gently upwards

remember you can also land on it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4354 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:22:22 am »
N.B. "he said".  Nowadays reporters rarely presume to recast spoken remarks, even leaving in the ers and ums of their victims.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4355 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:10:13 pm »
N.B. "he said".  Nowadays reporters rarely presume to recast spoken remarks, even leaving in the ers and ums of their victims.
Don't be daft - we can't start cutting people slack like that. There would barely be anything to post about!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4356 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
BTW, when I was green and carefree, the verb "to snog" was intransitive.  A and B snogged or A was snogging with B, but A never snogged B.  Somewhere in the years between the action acquired a done-to as well as a doer and, to my ear at least, lost connotations of innocence and mutual consent. Sic transit gloria mundi, whoever she was.

« Reply #4357 on: 03 November, 2016, 09:41:00 pm »
Yes. I've only very recently noticed that modern usage, & it doesn't sound right to me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4358 on: 03 November, 2016, 11:22:48 pm »
I dunno, it's like you've never been unexpectedly snogged...   ::-)

(TBH I wouldn't recommend it.  As T42 says, mutual consent.)

« Reply #4359 on: 03 November, 2016, 11:29:36 pm »
That aside (and surely a transitive verb doesn't preclude consent, let alone connote non-consent), I don't think the usage is that modern.

IME it's been about 60/40 trans/non since I've been conscious of the term (so quarter of a century or more ...).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4360 on: 04 November, 2016, 10:48:42 am »
My wristbreaker Chambers (2006) gives only the intransitive, but their motto is "none stuffier" so I wouldn't rely on that.

Wiktionary's etymology paragraph is interesting:

From the Old Norse snókr ‎(“a snake”) or snákr ‎(“only in poetry; a snake”), from Proto-Germanic *snakô; cognates include the Swedish and Norwegian snok, Icelandic snákur ‎(“a snake”), English snake.

Overtones of the Garden of Eden, or did they just have long, squirmy tongues?

In French it's the rather delightful rouler une pelle (roll a spade) and tends to be transitive - at least, it takes the dative rather than the accusative.  For some reason, when I hear it I always envision a pelle mécanique - a J.C.B.

« Reply #4361 on: 04 November, 2016, 11:56:49 pm »
That aside (and surely a transitive verb doesn't preclude consent, let alone connote non-consent), I don't think the usage is that modern.

IME it's been about 60/40 trans/non since I've been conscious of the term (so quarter of a century or more ...).
Well, I started snogging in the early 1970s, & had pretty much stopped using the word - or hearing it used - by a quarter of a century ago. As I recall, it was a rather youth-associated word when it became relevant to me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4362 on: 05 November, 2016, 07:14:54 am »
I thought all youth believed that that only related to them anyway, whatever you call it? ;D

« Reply #4363 on: 05 November, 2016, 01:56:14 pm »
Good point.  ;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4364 on: 13 November, 2016, 08:33:35 am »
Not sure what the petrol station down the road has against baked confectionery, but they have a very strongly worded sign

Stop
Cake
Shop
Here
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4365 on: 18 November, 2016, 11:36:25 pm »
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/cheetah-dissection-live

Thankfully, it's a dead cheetah's dissection demonstrated live...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4366 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
Regarding snogging and its derivatives, my first ever primary school class included a girl with parents hip enough to want to take her to Glastonbury for the week, which of course was in term time. I gave my permission.

On her return, when the class was writing their diaries for the previous few days, hers included the expression "got snogged". That was 1982 and she was 10 years old, and this implied that it was the male* who was the snogger and the female who was the snoggee.

*In my straight-laced naivety, I assume that it was a heterosexual snog.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4367 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:44:25 am »
The snigger, not the snog.

« Reply #4368 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:52:58 am »
Staring Dick Bogart, possibly?

« Reply #4369 on: 16 December, 2016, 07:39:31 pm »
"Chef" for "cook". When did that happen? When did every cook become the boss? All chiefs, no Indians.

« Reply #4370 on: 16 December, 2016, 08:04:03 pm »
In the "My calendar" section of the AUK website (when logged in).
You have no rides currently in you're calendar.

To add some go to the event details and either enter the event, or click the 'Add to my calendar' option.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4371 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »
Incent. As in "Can you incent an internal team to come up with what a start-up has done in a reasonable timeframe?" I think this sounds nicer than incentivise, though it's less logical. Still, logic is not king in language.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4372 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:04:31 am »
While reading at the breakfast table this morning:

Me: I wish people wouldn't write 'racking' with a W.
Mrs: Unless it's about seaweed.
Me: "He had a seaweeding cough"?
Mrs: Then it's just ignorance.
Me: With a 'W' is common in America these days.
Mrs: So is ignorance.

Only it was Charlie Stross, who purports to be British; and who earlier on the same page had informed us that there were two chairs on either side of a table, and all three items were bolted down. Just goes to show that a university education does nowt against basic ignorance.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4373 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:31:21 am »
According to OED they're variant spellings of each other, in the meaning of wreck. But the only sense it gives for rack as a verb is to draw off sediment from a barrel. What meaning is the intended one for 'racking cough' anyway? It could feasibly be drawing off sediment from the lungs, or it could be a comparison with being put on the rack, or it could be the idea of your lungs being twisted inside out, in which case it would be wrack.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4374 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:37:04 am »
Incent. As in "Can you incent an internal team to come up with what a start-up has done in a reasonable timeframe?" I think this sounds nicer than incentivise, though it's less logical. Still, logic is not king in language.
I thought up a logical explanation for it. Incentive is often used to modify other nouns, as in incentive scheme, incentive payments, so it gets thought of as an adjective. Many adjectives in -ive are formed from verbs: select, detect, permit > selective, detective, permissive. Therefore the verb incent is a natural back-formation from incentive. And it saves five key strokes over incentivise!