Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856892 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #4450 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »
I hesitate to call you a Canute, but I think that battle is lost.

Not until the last fighter falls or submits, it isn't.

I will continue to wake the entire pub up by shouting at the telly every time I hear it. You never know, it might educate some of the morons who walk in and ask the landord "Can I get..." (but that's a whole other grammatical rant)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

red marley

« Reply #4451 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:24:19 pm »
I hesitate to call you a Canute, but [...]

As we're all sitting comfortably in pedants' corner, may I suggest that Canute's fable wasn't about an act of hubris, but rather a demonstration to his courtiers of his humility in his powerlessness to stop the tide?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4452 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:35:57 pm »
I hesitate to call you a Canute, but [...]

As we're all sitting comfortably in pedants' corner, may I suggest that Canute's fable wasn't about an act of hubris, but rather a demonstration to his courtiers of his humility in his powerlessness to stop the tide?

Indeed. Whereas I am convinced of the rightness of my cause, and I will prevail*

*Yeah, right.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #4453 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »
On the side of a window-installer's van:
"Every panes a pleasure"

Well-respected local firm; well-respected for their windows, that is.

« Reply #4454 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »
Myself, yourself, etc as false formalities really grate on me, although this is really just a matter of style. Their misuse doesn't actually lose any meaning, unlike regular/frequent.

Quote from: Cabin Pressure
ARTHUR: Yeah, will do. Er, but first, can myself draw yourself’s kindly attention to the sign that the captain has kindly en-illuminated in regard to the fastenation of your seatbelt during the current highly-unlikely event of turbulence?
MR. BIRLING: What?
ARTHUR: Could you do your seatbelt up?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4455 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:38:48 pm »
Myself, yourself, etc as false formalities really grate on me, although this is really just a matter of style. Their misuse doesn't actually lose any meaning, unlike regular/frequent.

Quote from: Cabin Pressure
ARTHUR: Yeah, will do. Er, but first, can myself draw yourself’s kindly attention to the sign that the captain has kindly en-illuminated in regard to the fastenation of your seatbelt during the current highly-unlikely event of turbulence?
MR. BIRLING: What?
ARTHUR: Could you do your seatbelt up?

I thought of that too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4456 on: 09 March, 2017, 12:44:24 pm »
Blanchett, who also a vocal critic of President Donald Trump, has long been an advocate for sexism in Hollywood
Appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Blanchett was asked where her so-called “moral compass” lied.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/cate-blancett-moral-compass-vagina-the-present-a7618501.html
I don't know much about Cate Blanchett, perhaps she actually is an advocate for sexism? The idea of a moral compass that lies is worth exploring too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4457 on: 09 March, 2017, 12:46:36 pm »
The idea of a moral compass that lies is worth exploring too.
I think we should get Philip Pullman on the case. I'm imagining a sort of alethiometer with attitude.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4458 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:04:22 am »
Usage grumble re 'liberal':

US: left-wing
UK: centrist with a tinge of leftiness
France: right-wing laissez-faire capitalist

But this morning, Graun describes Rutte's bunch as centre-right liberal, while France Info calls them right-wing liberal.

What's a chap to think?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4459 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:57:41 am »
That they mean 'right wing libertarian'?    ???

To my mind, 'liberal' can never go in the same sentence as 'right wing'. Apart from in that sentence, obviously!  ;)

Not that it's grammar.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4460 on: 16 March, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
"... sprung a shock" (from the Law Society Gazette).

Shouldn't it be "sprang"? I'm girding my loins in case I'm wrong (The Gazette has form for using "sprung" in the past tense).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4461 on: 16 March, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »
Perhaps it's legalese? :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4462 on: 16 March, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »
That they mean 'right wing libertarian'?    ???

To my mind, 'liberal' can never go in the same sentence as 'right wing'. Apart from in that sentence, obviously!  ;)

Not that it's grammar.
unless it's neo-liberal, of course ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #4463 on: 16 March, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
I'll just leave this here - the tale of a dispute about overtime pay that revolves around the usage of the humble comma...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/15/health/oxford-comma-maine-court-case-trnd/index.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4464 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:50:06 pm »
Eh? I'm not sure I follow the argument, even in US English. It's a list. You need a conjunction before the last item in a list. Since there's no conjunction before the penultimate verbal noun, but there is one before the ultimate one, those two are separate ideas in the list, with or without an Oxford comma.

« Reply #4465 on: 18 March, 2017, 08:34:35 pm »
'or' is a conjunction though, isn't it? I had to read the story twice before I understood the ambiguity, but I'd have sided with the judge...

« Reply #4466 on: 19 March, 2017, 12:10:07 am »
Yes, but it's the place that "or" has in the list that is telling. A list is built up of A B C D conjunction E (I've left out all commas to avoid for the moment the Oxford issue).

If it's a complex list, you get conjunctions inside some or all of the possibilities too. In other words, any of A-E might be replaced by either "G or H" or maybe "I and J". For example, when some of the guests invited to a party were couples:

John, Mark and Sally, Liz, Jane and Peter,...

However, that doesn't alter the need for a conjunction between the last two list items. So, if the final guests were Dan and Mary:

John, Mark and Sally, Liz, Jane and Peter, and Dan and Mary.

In the article in question, the only conjunction occurs before distribution. Therefore:
  • Distribution is the last item in the list
  • Distribution is distinct from shipment
To avoid this conclusion, you'd need another conjunction preceding shipment. The Oxford comma debate is secondary and, in this instance, a distraction in my view.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4467 on: 19 March, 2017, 09:38:26 am »
It boils down to the difference between:

A. packing for [shipment or distribution]

B. [packing for shipment], or distribution

A. implies that packing is the only activity covered, B. defines packing and distribution as two activities.

« Reply #4468 on: 19 March, 2017, 01:51:10 pm »
But then (A) you need a conjunction before packing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4469 on: 19 March, 2017, 02:51:53 pm »
Repeated 'cos I'm fed up going back a page to look:

"The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of [stuff]"

But then (A) you need a conjunction before packing.

Yes you do; but if you put one in you'd need to precede it by an Oxford comma to avoid shifting the ambiguity back a notch (or creating a second ambiguity).

« Reply #4470 on: 19 March, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »
Agreed. However, your possibility A is precluded by the absence of the preceding conjunction.

I sense that this is getting boring :-[

« Reply #4471 on: 20 March, 2017, 12:43:38 am »
Doesn't the resolution essentially boil down to the judge deciding it was boring, declaring it ambiguous (in other words, he couldn't be arsed deciding between two sets of grammar pedants), and following the principle that ambiguity should be interpreted in favour of the weaker party to the contract, in this case the employees?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4472 on: 20 March, 2017, 07:05:38 am »
Doesn't the resolution essentially boil down to the judge deciding it was boring, declaring it ambiguous (in other words, he couldn't be arsed deciding between two sets of grammar pedants), and following the principle that ambiguity should be interpreted in favour of the weaker party to the contract, in this case the employees?

That was the essence of the judgement as I read it, it could be argued either way, so benefit of the doubt went to the drivers
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4473 on: 20 March, 2017, 09:41:31 am »
Gerunds, people!

For the drivers to be covered by this clause, it would have to be distributing, in line with the other activities in the list, Oxford comma or no.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4474 on: 20 March, 2017, 09:43:44 am »
Gerunds, people!

For the drivers to be covered by this clause, it would have to be distributing, in line with the other activities in the list, Oxford comma or no.

You're on fire today Clarrers.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles