Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856680 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #4975 on: 23 July, 2018, 02:21:02 pm »
Is malaria plural? I thought it was literally 'bad air', from the Italian, for which the plural form would be arie rather than arias.

Pox is plural too. Apparently, the singular form 'pock' predates it - I used to think it was a more recent back-formation.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4976 on: 23 July, 2018, 04:17:07 pm »
Most 'plural' diseases have multiple swellings or spots.

Singular entities are usually generalised ailments though may have other names in plural.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4977 on: 23 July, 2018, 04:25:45 pm »
I read soemwhere that malaria had a similar origin as the french from a bastardisation of mal = bad, aria = air, thought to be contracted from breathing the rank air of marshes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #4978 on: 23 July, 2018, 04:27:55 pm »
The Victorian parts of Indian cities have streets with names like Eighty Feet Road and Hundred Feet Road (referring to the width of the road). It sounds wrong and I assumed it was an Indian-ism, but no, it turns out to have been Victorian practice to use a plural in those circumstances. The lesson here could be not to trust engineers with words.

Round here, the opposite seems to apply, Sixteen Foot Bank, Ten Mile Bank etc

and the Forty Foot Drain up near my old home town of Boston, in the Fens.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4979 on: 23 July, 2018, 04:43:13 pm »
Is malaria plural? I thought it was literally 'bad air', from the Italian, for which the plural form would be arie rather than arias.

Yes. I was thinking of a Latin neuter plural. Tain't.

Pox is plural too. Apparently, the singular form 'pock' predates it - I used to think it was a more recent back-formation.

Yes. And it's poxes in the modern plural, like the cringe-worthy medias.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #4980 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:42:49 pm »
I read soemwhere that malaria had a similar origin as the french from a bastardisation of mal = bad, aria = air, thought to be contracted from breathing the rank air of marshes

If you consider French to be a bastardisation of Italian, then yes, that's exactly right. ;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4981 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:31:19 pm »

If you consider French to be a bastardisation of Italian, then yes, that's exactly right. ;)

Mal = bad = French, non?

Aria = air = italiano, no?

If they can't make up their minds....
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #4982 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:30:54 am »
Mal = bad = French, non?

I believe it’s the Italian male rather than the French mal, but icbw.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4983 on: 24 July, 2018, 09:39:05 am »
Yup. Chambers derives it from mal' aria. Which could also be Piers Brosnan singing, according to Il Groanio.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4984 on: 24 July, 2018, 09:54:25 am »
Pierce "Pick A Note - Any Note" Brosnan, as TV's Mark Commode Kermode called him the other day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4985 on: 31 July, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »
Nothing to say about the cap or the typo but I note the use of IPA.
https://road.cc/content/review/245947-saikel-chevrons-cap
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4986 on: 09 August, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »
Auntie, surely a mural is, by definition on a wall and does not need to be described as a 'wall mural'?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-45054525/a-look-at-the-uk-s-largest-wall-mural

citoyen

« Reply #4987 on: 09 August, 2018, 12:56:47 pm »
Auntie, surely a mural is, by definition on a wall and does not need to be described as a 'wall mural'?

Ooh, that one really does make me cringe. Although the internet reckons a mural can also be on a ceiling or 'any other permanent surface'.

The internet is an idiot.

« Reply #4988 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »
I'd always thought that the omnipresent 'for sure' and 'super' (used as a go-to intensifying adjective - 'super-nice'/'super-hard'/'super-full-gas') was something so habitual with (non-British) European pro cyclists that their British counterparts have just absorbed it through proximity. But I mentioned this to my son after picking him up from the station last night and he checked his previous week's text messages and found he'd used the 'super' construction 10 times. And he's not a pro cyclist, nor a cycling fan (at least until a fortnight ago). He also said he had, that very day, caught himself 'for sure'-ing and didn't know why he had used it and was worried that his interlocutor may have thought he was being sarcastic. He's going to be taking some time out from the Eisteddfod today to witness Geraint Thomas' triumphant homecoming, so I told him to keep an ear out for them.

Is a 'super' tsunami, linguistically speaking, on its way?

citoyen

« Reply #4989 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:29:25 pm »
I'd always thought that the omnipresent 'for sure' and 'super' (used as a go-to intensifying adjective - 'super-nice'/'super-hard'/'super-full-gas') was something so habitual with (non-British) European pro cyclists that their British counterparts have just absorbed it through proximity.

Funny you should mention that - I was listening to Tao Geoghgan-Hart being interviewed on the Cycling Podcast yesterday and when he described one of his colleagues as 'super-nice', I made exactly the same assumption.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4990 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:29:44 pm »

Ooh, that one really does make me cringe. Although the internet reckons a mural can also be on a ceiling or 'any other permanent surface'.

The internet is an idiot.

Yebbut what do you call a mural on the ceiling?  Or on the floor, come to that.

Heh. When we moved in here the landing floor was unfinished, and I thought it would be fun to do a trompe l'oeil so that you'd think there was no floor there and you were looking straight down into the hall. Mrs T wanted oak parquet. We have oak parquet. <sigh>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4991 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:40:55 pm »
I didn't think 'super nice' etc was anything to do with cycling or cyclists, but a general and recent Americanism. Whatever its origins, it fits in with the British (and elsewhere?) trend over the last ten years (or more?) to use superlatives and intense adjectives in all situations. Nothing is 'nice' or 'good' it's 'amazing' or 'incredible'.

citoyen

« Reply #4992 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:51:04 pm »
Yebbut what do you call a mural on the ceiling?

A fair question... plafondal? ;)

Maybe 'ceiling mural' is OK for want of a better term, but walls are the default location for murals so shouldn't need the qualification.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4993 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:52:41 pm »
...Is a 'super' tsunami, linguistically speaking, on its way?

For sure.

citoyen

« Reply #4994 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:59:44 pm »
I didn't think 'super nice' etc was anything to do with cycling or cyclists, but a general and recent Americanism.

It's not so much a cycling thing as a European thing, and not a recent thing either - I probably first noticed this phenomenon when I had a summer job in a language school many years ago. IIRC the German students were especially prone to it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4995 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:16:33 pm »
I was thinking last ten years or so, but maybe it's not even that 'recent'. Definitely heard it from various Americans, but of course they could have picked it up from Germans too!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4996 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:44:02 pm »
I'd always thought that the omnipresent 'for sure' and 'super' (used as a go-to intensifying adjective - 'super-nice'/'super-hard'/'super-full-gas') was something so habitual with (non-British) European pro cyclists that their British counterparts have just absorbed it through proximity.

I thought that European cyclists (and non-cyclists) used 'super' in lieu of 'very'. I wondered if there was a translation dictionary somewhere that translated 'very' (in foreign) to 'super' in English.

In the sense that super can mean 'above' or 'beyond', is it entirely wrong to use it as described above?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4997 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:55:00 pm »
Germans/Austrians use "super" all the time as an exclamation and have done for years.

Its time to leave work, super!
Shall we go for a drink? Super!

Its sort of an equivalent of "OK" and "great" but then just to confuse things they sometimes combine it "OK super!"

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #4998 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:56:18 pm »
I say 'super' a lot. It's quite addictive. It's super-fun, I find.

« Reply #4999 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:58:32 pm »
This German teacher reckons using "super" is the best way to sound German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kon_NzVD0M

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.