Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856774 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6300 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:48:04 am »
If you had written "authentification" just once, it would probably have been a typo. But using it at every opportunity suggests you believe it is a real word. It is not, so please don't use it again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #6301 on: 20 December, 2021, 11:18:07 am »
As a soft core user of Strava I've just received my stats for the past year, with the statement:

"In a year like this the wins you got shined brighter than ever."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6302 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:00:44 pm »
If you had written "authentification" just once, it would probably have been a typo. But using it at every opportunity suggests you believe it is a real word. It is not, so please don't use it again.

Non-native English speakers seem to use it often enough that I assume it takes that form in other languages.

ETA: Just looked it up and it's legitimate French.

Just a matter of time before we get 'authentificationize', obviously.  Probably in a Java library.

« Reply #6303 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:31:16 pm »
Authentify would be a great word, shorter than authenticate and has a reflexive feel to it.

In a vaguely similar vein, if someone who receives is a recipient, should someone who gives be a gipient?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6304 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:33:15 pm »
And a thing given would be a gipt?

« Reply #6305 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:35:05 pm »
You're trying to apply consistent patterns to English ??

Lost cause.

It does however give us the ability to create a word based upon two or three known and understood parts and come up with something that has never existed before, and yet is instantly understood by anyone. I rather enjoy that aspect of this language.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6306 on: 20 December, 2021, 04:55:41 pm »
It does however give us the ability to create a work based upon two or three known and understood parts and come up with something that has never existed before, and yet is instantly understood by anyone. I rather enjoy that aspect of this language.

Aren't German-speakers able to do that with up to eleventy-seven parts?

« Reply #6307 on: 20 December, 2021, 05:23:03 pm »
I think most of the world's languages can do that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6308 on: 20 December, 2021, 06:01:45 pm »
It does however give us the ability to create a work based upon two or three known and understood parts and come up with something that has never existed before, and yet is instantly understood by anyone. I rather enjoy that aspect of this language.

Aren't German-speakers able to do that with up to eleventy-seven parts?
Yes but sometimes the add-ons behave differently than when they are separate words. Which gets one confused.

Hören = to hear
Zuhören = to listen to (zu is often ‚to‘ in English)
Weghören = stop listening (weg is go away)
abhören =overhear
Überhören = to not hear something
Hinhören = to listen carefully
aufhören = to stop. Nothing to do with hearing.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6309 on: 20 December, 2021, 08:41:50 pm »
Authentify would be a great word, shorter than authenticate and has a reflexive feel to it.
I think the thing here is that with 'authentication' the root of both noun and verb is an adjective, whereas with say 'verification' the noun is derived from the verb.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6310 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:17:30 pm »

Non-native English speakers seem to use it often enough that I assume it takes that form in other languages.

Just a matter of time before we get 'authentificationize', obviously.  Probably in a Java library.

I work a lot with French colleagues and some of my favourites are "plannification" and "robustify". Not sure I have heard "robustification" yet but it's probably out there.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6311 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:39:59 pm »

I once had a dig around a database written in Canadian-French, was fine until I came across Anathesiologist.
Wtaf?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6312 on: 21 December, 2021, 09:45:44 am »

Lost cause.

It does however give us the ability to create a word based upon two or three known and understood parts and come up with something that has never existed before, and yet is instantly understood by anyone. I rather enjoy that aspect of this language.
I’m always impressed when very young children do this with irregular verbs, making up words they will not have heard, applying the rules they haven’t been expressly taught, but which they have already assimilated: runned, thinked, doed etc.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #6313 on: 21 December, 2021, 09:56:36 am »
'Tangentialising' is one of my own favourite creations.  Very appropriate for this place.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6314 on: 21 December, 2021, 09:58:54 am »

Lost cause.

I’m always impressed when very young children do this with irregular verbs, making up words they will not have heard, applying the rules they haven’t been expressly taught, but which they have already assimilated: runned, thinked, doed etc.
Yes, it's a fun and interesting look at how we learn language. Not just verbs, of course. One of my favourites was a friend's little boy, who in reply to another child's "I've got a jumper on" said "I've got two jumper ons".

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6315 on: 21 December, 2021, 11:32:12 am »

Saw that and immediately thought “Newspeak”.  Still, oldthinkers unbellyfeel IngSoc, so that's alright.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6316 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »
I once had a dig around a database written in Canadian-French, was fine until I came across Anathesiologist.
Wtaf?

Isn't that just a spelling mistake?

« Reply #6317 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:38:03 pm »

Saw that and immediately thought “Newspeak”.  Still, oldthinkers unbellyfeel IngSoc, so that's alright.
vented,
My favourite is one of my nephew's (when a child).  He introduced (effortlessly) the very useful verb "unbeableto", which is much more poetic than "won't be able to"!   Grammar that makes me proud!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6318 on: 21 December, 2021, 02:08:31 pm »

vented,
My favourite is one of my nephew's (when a child).  He introduced (effortlessly) the very useful verb "unbeableto", which is much more poetic than "won't be able to"!   Grammar that makes me proud!

Reminds me of my infant son who, on being told to behave, replied "but I am being have" (to rhyme with wave).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6319 on: 21 December, 2021, 03:42:09 pm »
Reminds me of my infant son who, on being told to behave, replied "but I am being have" (to rhyme with wave).

I think this is my all-time favourite child's neologism.  'Mistake agent' is a runner-up.

« Reply #6320 on: 23 December, 2021, 12:19:43 am »
Yes, those are both terrific - but there is a poetry about my nephew's that is worthy of Woody Guthrie!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6321 on: 23 December, 2021, 06:07:09 am »

I work a lot with French colleagues and some of my favourites are "plannification" and "robustify". Not sure I have heard "robustification" yet but it's probably out there.

It is already out there, I won't name and shame the company, but my previous division (definitely not the joy division) of my company  performed robustification audits for said company.

Luckily I was busy enough not to receive robustification training to work on that job
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6322 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:18:21 pm »
Oh look! Five ways the internet has changed English! https://theconversation.com/five-ways-the-internet-era-has-changed-british-english-new-research-172432
The one that surprises me a little is the decline in use of modals. I can't imagine they could die out completely as that would leave us unable to express certain ideas.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6323 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:24:04 pm »
Not sure I'd trust anything about internet linguistics from someone who can't spell LOL properly and thinks that 'app' and 'software' mean the same thing, but the decline in modals is interesting.  I suppose if nothing else they'll live on in technical documents like RFCs and the Highway Code.

« Reply #6324 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:27:30 pm »
My guesses before reading the article:
gotten,
protest without "against".