Poll

Do you wear a tie (as an adult and since leaving school)?

Every day
1 (1.4%)
When in the office
5 (6.8%)
On important business occasions
4 (5.4%)
On other important occasions
14 (18.9%)
Occasionally
21 (28.4%)
Never
27 (36.5%)
No, but I do wear a codpiece (or other device to attract the onlooker's eye to my groin)
1 (1.4%)
No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways
0 (0%)
No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways
1 (1.4%)
White tie only
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Wearing a tie  (Read 8224 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Wearing a tie
« Reply #50 on: 10 February, 2022, 10:36:43 am »
He mentions a TV show in the early 90s on which, radically for the time, the presenters wore no jackets. But they kept their ties on. Observation suggests this was a media blip and the formal jacket is outlasting the tie by some margin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 10 February, 2022, 11:00:41 am »
Having interviewed a lot of people recently (looks at calendar, and there's more) – come to think of it, I don't remember any of the male candidates wearing a tie. I should ask them to stand up and parade in front of the camera to check they're neat and tidy, above and below the equator.

Possibly interviewing from home has killed that final refuge of the tie. Back in the pre-plague era, if you saw someone in a tie and M&S suit in the office, you knew they were there for an interview.

« Reply #52 on: 10 February, 2022, 11:39:32 am »
Quite often, including bow ties. But then I also wear proper shirts, and waistcoats.

I never used to bother working in IT, but I suspect it's a combination of feeling middle aged, and being surrounded by people who clearly haven't made any effort to be presentable.  I mean when did scruffy t-shirts and jogging bottoms become OK in the workplace.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #53 on: 10 February, 2022, 11:55:54 am »
I was duped into wearing a tie for a meeting with [VERY IMPORTANT CLIENT] on Tuesday, first work situation in >10 years. 

The male half of our party wore ties, the client did not.  My initial instinct should have been respected
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 18 April, 2022, 12:49:31 pm »
Never mind ties, suits are on the way out. But not dead. More migrating from the office to special occasions such as weddings.
Andy Saxton, strategic insight director for fashion at Kantar, doesn’t expect the market for office suits to recover but reckons people are more willing than ever to spend money on suits for weddings and parties. “Casualisation has been growing for quite some years now,” he says– while wearing a navy jumper with dark jeans. “The suits market is down 40% in five years, I don’t think that is ever coming back to that level. But I do feel there are huge opportunities for dressing-up for celebrations – I feel like everyone is going to go very big on weddings.”

While in the office they are being replaced by French peasants' coats.
The suit is being replaced, Paget says, not with working from home outfits of joggers, jeans or hoodies but with “chore jackets”.

Asked to explain, he says: “It’s in the name really.” They are jackets first designed for tradesmen to wear for handiwork, painting or plumbing. Originating in late 1800s France, where they were worn by farm workers and labourers, the jackets were dubbed “bleu de travail” or “worker’s blues” for their deep shade of indigo.

“Workwear staples that are comfortable and practical have been elevated to office attire, particularly in the creative industries,” Paget says. “The fabrics and detailing have been improved on, but fundamentally they are clothes that an old-school plumber would have worn.”

I'd not heard of these so I looked them up. Predictably, some of them are priced at the equivalent of a old school plumber's annual income. I don't like the word 'gentrification' but I reckon it applies more to clothes and food than places.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/apr/18/the-end-of-the-suit-has-covid-finished-off-the-menswear-staple

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 18 April, 2022, 01:19:31 pm »
(Clicks link)

That bloke in the plain jacket and check weskit and trousers :jurek:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #56 on: 11 November, 2022, 03:45:17 pm »
Ties are mandatory in the US House of Reps.
What happens to his wardrobe if Fetterman progresses remains to be seen. In the House of Representatives, men must wear a coat and tie at all times while Congress is in session. Fetterman owns a suit – most publicly worn when he was sworn in as lieutenant governor in 2019 – but insists that he mostly wears it at Halloween.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/11/its-powerful-how-john-fettermans-hoodie-won-the-popular-vote

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #57 on: 12 November, 2022, 06:47:21 pm »
I voted "never".
Perhaps there should be "No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways"
with concomitant "Yes, in spite of not presenting as male where there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways"
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #58 on: 12 November, 2022, 07:07:58 pm »
I voted "never".
Perhaps there should be "No, cos of not presenting as male there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways"
with concomitant "Yes, in spite of not presenting as male where there is no society-imposed for me to need to do so anyways"
Fair does. There might have been a reason I didn't do so, but I can't remember.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 12 November, 2022, 09:05:54 pm »
Thrown a load of ties away today.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #60 on: 12 November, 2022, 09:08:04 pm »
Thrown a load of ties away today.
Cutting your losses.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #61 on: 12 November, 2022, 10:28:12 pm »
Ties are mandatory in the US House of Reps.
What happens to his wardrobe if Fetterman progresses remains to be seen. In the House of Representatives, men must wear a coat and tie at all times while Congress is in session. Fetterman owns a suit – most publicly worn when he was sworn in as lieutenant governor in 2019 – but insists that he mostly wears it at Halloween.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/11/its-powerful-how-john-fettermans-hoodie-won-the-popular-vote

I wonder if part of the reason Fetterman is wearing hoodies is following his stroke? It's not uncommon to be left with weakness on one side which may improve but never return to 100%. If so, he could request 'reasonable accommodations' in Congress. I don't know if the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act 1973 apply to congress themselves tho cos I am not a US lawyer.

In the UK we had Jared O'Meara who was an MP for a short while (he was a dodgy person). Jared has cerebral palsy and can't do shirts independently, he had to borrow one and his dad helped him on the election results night. In the UK, our Equality Act doesn't apply to parliament itself (nice little exception they have), but the Speaker agreed Jared could wear a plain smart teeshirt and open jacket rather than shirt and tie because of his disability.

I do think demanding ties in most situations is silly. There are other ways to be smart.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 12 November, 2022, 11:15:23 pm »
One of our Green Party candidates in the most recent local elections raised the topic of candidates' sartorial standards at a meeting a couple of months ago. I was the first to say that that would instantly disqualify me from standing for the council. To be honest, I don't really want to stand again* anyway and I certainly don't want to be elected. If I bow out now I can boast that I've stood for the council on 4 occasions and never come last. Given that I've never represented Tory or Labour, that's not a bad boast.

*I came to this conclusion a few months ago when I attended a Police/Community liaison meeting. All the topics discussed could have been straight from the comments section of the Daily Heil. It was at that point that I realised how I'm really a misanthropist and that the council chamber is full of people I'd much rather not spend any time with.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #63 on: 12 November, 2022, 11:21:24 pm »

That's me on last year's election leaflet. The whole photo includes my bike as well. The Hat is from the Prittlewell Collection by Mrs. Wow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 12 November, 2022, 11:29:25 pm »
That does look a bit like a 'choose your character' screen from some sort of fighty computer game...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #65 on: 12 November, 2022, 11:42:44 pm »
Choose your Fighty Character name for the Wowbagger.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #66 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:22:14 am »
I saw a band that looked a bit like that.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:50:56 am »
I saw a band that looked a bit like that.

An unpopular beat combo, m'lud?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #68 on: 14 November, 2022, 10:28:49 am »
Would be better without the dark glasses. As it is, the leaflet makes you look like the Green Party Outlaw Biker Gang.

Should have got Charlotte to pop up and do a photo for you, LEL style!