General Category > Further and Faster

Too fit or too unfit? HRM question

(1/16) > >>

Redlight:
A question for those of you who train with heart rate monitors...

I am trying to lose a bit of flab so recently bought a HRM with the intention of trying to keep within the so-called fat Burn Zone while exercising.  No problem using the stuff at the gym – I find it relatively easy to pace my activity to keep at around 110bpm (the  upper limit for the Zone, according to the monitor, is 117). On the spin bikes, it feels as though I am riding along at a relatively good pace, while not pushing it. I’d liken it to a steady Sunday ride.

However, when I actually ride my bike on the commute, I find it impossible to stay below the upper limit and am averaging 137bpm over a 45 minute ride.  I’ve tried to ride as steadily and slowly as I can without feeling as though I’m dawdling, but to no avail.  Is my inability to ride gently without my heart thumping a sign that I’m not as fit as I should be, or is it possible that the monitor has assumed that at my age I should be less fit than I am and miscalculated the Zone parameters and I should be able to fat burn at a much higher heart rate?

Any advice would be welcomed!

mattc:
Wot RR wrote sounds good.

Also:
Your commute's very urban isn't it? If it's very stop-start it can be a nightmare keeping within a particular zone (whichever one you choose!), and the average figure can be a bit meaningless (sorry!). Maybe do a test on flat/empty roads on Sunday morning?

You could also try a brisk walk - I've found walking quickly (the sort of pace where it might be more efficient to jog!) on the flat puts my HR around the middle of the (so-called) fat-burning zone. This might be a good sanity check for your numbers.

andygates:
I've never been able to stay in that zone: I get too bored.  And I'm still fat :D

mattc:
Andy:
Try riding a 600k, and check your heart-rate with about 50k to go!

amaferanga:
You'd be much better off riding as hard as you can for the time you have available instead of pootling along in the mythical fat burning zone.  You may be burning a greater proportion of fat, but the total calorie burn will be less and hence you'll actually be losing weight more slowly by keeping the intensity that low.  The whole fat burning myth is popular because it appeals to the muppets that like to read a good book while 'working out' at the gym ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version