Author Topic: 2023  (Read 30591 times)

« on: 21 August, 2019, 02:27:17 pm »
Anyone who isn't riding this year considering it in 2023? Has watching the trackers inspired you?

I keep putting off coming back to PBP (and anything but the occasional 200 for that matter). My daughter will be 13 next PBP and it doesn't help it being moved to around the time of my wife's birthday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: 2023
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:50:44 pm »
I intended to do it this year but reasoned that it wouldn't be a good fit with my dissertation submission. I am more focused on LEL as it is a. sooner and b. apparently the better one to do first (from people who've done both) but hope to be in good long distance form by 2023, hopefully enough to do it one go.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2019, 02:57:50 pm »
I've been watching the trackers and the PBP FB page, and judging from the deluge of DNFs on the outleg I don't think I'd have made it to Mortagne this year.  I'll be 76 next time around (assuming I am still around) and the way I feel now just volunteering would be pretty hard.

Huh. This from the man who wanted to be the doyen of finishers in 2027. Aye well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2019, 03:13:17 pm »
I'd intended to do it this year but arsed up my pre-registration rides. As I DNF'd LEL in 2017 that's my next target as I've got unfinsihed business there. I did PBP in 2015 so although I'd like to do it again I've kinda scratched that itch.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2019, 03:42:21 pm »
I would have done it this year except I chose to ride Race around The Netherlands instead. Found I missed the insanity of PBP (although I found I haven't missed the actual cycling/hills/sleep-deprivation/cost, etc.)

Assuming I'm still functional I'd hope to do 2023. No idea on what though. A single roller-skate, probably.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

rob

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2019, 05:52:48 pm »
I’ll be 50 next time round and aiming for a 7th.

It will be Junior’s GCSE results then, though.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:05:37 pm »

Yep, hoping for LEL in 2021, and PBP in 2023, which means I'll need to do something big in 2022 too...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:22:27 pm »

Get him on a tandem and have mum collect the results for him?

Get them both on a triplet and have someone else collect the results?

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:23:33 pm »
Probably considering another go given my DNF in 2015 at Mortagne on the way back is still festering in the back of my mind, plus the DNF at LEL in 2017. So as per previous posters I'll probably target LEL first then back to Paris.

Couldn't even consider this year as I was no way fit enough post recovery from broken back sustained while cycling across the States just over a year ago  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

rob

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:41:28 pm »

Get him on a tandem and have mum collect the results for him?

Get them both on a triplet and have someone else collect the results?

Gotta be 18 I’m afraid.  2027 at the earliest.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:11:49 pm »
I'd like to give it one more go, at least, as health problems prevented me from qualifying this time around. I'll be 62 by then... so maybe I could aim for a 5th and 6th as well, before they take my driving licence away.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:28:28 pm »
Anyone who isn't riding this year considering it in 2023? Has watching the trackers inspired you?

Inspired generally yes, but certain riders inspire me that bit more.
There's an Australioan recumbent rider, Pete Heal, who I met in 2007 who rode a very tidy homebuild that year [and received much praise for it], and he's been on every PBP since. Like me, he's no spring chicken, but a decent rider, and I see he completed the ride in 73hrs. But it's not the sum total that's important, it's noticing how much rest he took as well, and the tracker gives two major time lapses at controls, which must have given him between 10 & 12hrs kip in total. For me, where I sit, that's inspirational! I can only dream!
Garry Broad

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:36:09 pm »
I wanted to ride this year but a visit to the doctors in January put paid to any chance of qualification. Been struggling with fitness since I was allowed to ride again in April.

I have a place on LEL and I very much hope to take that up. I would love to have a go at PBP in 2023.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:38:26 pm »
Having done neither, but after reading a fair bit about both, I get the impression LEL is a harder ride but with better organisation so perhaps less to worry about - is that fair? So I'd prioritise LEL at the moment.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:56:24 pm »
I chose not to this year, despite reserving a place and qualifying, as the start clashed with my 15yo's Irish national races.

In 2023 he'll be 19. Looks like both of us'll have a go.

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:13:59 am »
This has been my second PBP (watching) , staying up for 90 hours, juggling several computers / tablets, following dozens of riders, updating spreadsheets, seeing who is falling behind....I don't think I can take another one so I guess I will just have to ride it (a first), will be 70 though, a lot better riders than me didn't finish this year, but first goal is a good pre-qualify in 2022, then qualify, then get to the start and see where I end up, four years to prepare, should be right, much of the route looks uber pretty, see you all there.

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2019, 12:39:34 pm »
I'm tempted to come back to try and go under 48h. I'm definitely doing LEL2021 so I think I'll see how that goes before deciding.

Ben T

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2019, 02:49:38 pm »
Having ridden this year, I'm quite pleased by the fact I haven't really gone through any period of not wanting to do it again!

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:33:51 pm »
Having had a shit PBP, having got gut problems before I even started, being low on energy the whole time, alternately shivering and sweating overnight and needing to abandon at the first food stop (Montagne Au Perche) I like to return.  Next time I'd like to try it on a recumbent, and hopefully the frame I'm having built at the moment, will form the core of my future long distance ambitions.

« Reply #19 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:10:11 pm »
Had no desire to do it this year, but got into the spirit, still faffed and queued at the controls, but chatted to people from all over in the restaurants, and on the road, but a big part of me just wanted to get it done. No desire to do it a third time, unless there are significant changes, or a team mate enters and wants to ride together.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #20 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:19:43 pm »
This has been my second PBP (watching) , staying up for 90 hours, juggling several computers / tablets, following dozens of riders, updating spreadsheets, seeing who is falling behind....I don't think I can take another one so I guess I will just have to ride it (a first), will be 70 though, a lot better riders than me didn't finish this year, but first goal is a good pre-qualify in 2022, then qualify, then get to the start and see where I end up, four years to prepare, should be right, much of the route looks uber pretty, see you all there.

Best of luck LateStarter, be great if you made it to the start line in 2023.
Garry Broad

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #21 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:32:51 pm »
Having been at PBP 3 times (2007,2011,2015) and only finished once, in 2011, I decided last year to give it a miss this time. Too many bad memories of sleep deprivation, getting dangerous handlebar shimmies, and slowing to a crawl/ being out of time in Dreux. Happy to have got a medal and a reasonable time in 2011.

I have been inspired by following online the progress of friends, but on balance probably won't return. The ride is a tough ask for a ''full-value'' audaxer, up against the time limits. The 90 hour start requires such a rider to keep going through 4 nights, the last of which is really tricky, and potentially a grim slog. I'm not a fan of huge scale events, with all the queues at controls and sometimes even problems remembering where the bike is parked.

It's possible that I could get faster and fitter having retired recently, but more likely I will seek out other forms of multi-day riding. I enjoy the Italian audaxes with more relaxed time-limits, and untimed touring in mountainous regions.

''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #22 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:52:57 pm »
The ride is a tough ask for a ''full-value'' audaxer, up against the time limits.

I'll only do it again (and probably not until 2027) if I can get fit enough not to be a full-value Audaxer. I can deal with sleep-dep quite well (got less than 10 hours of sleep during the whole of PBP in 2011) but, as you say, it's no fun.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #23 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:02:16 pm »
The ride is a tough ask for a ''full-value'' audaxer, up against the time limits.

but, as you say, it's no fun.

Surely that's the whole point of it, by making sure there is much suffering and no fun is to be had under any circumstances, whatsoever!
It's all about the mental 'after burn' - it lasts for months!  :)
Garry Broad

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #24 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:25:53 pm »

but, as you say, it's no fun.

Surely that's the whole point of it, by making sure there is much suffering and no fun is to be had under any circumstances, whatsoever!
It's all about the mental 'after burn' - it lasts for months!  :)

I didn't mean that the event was no fun! If you look at my original post I was talking about finding  4 consecutive nights of night riding being grim. compounded by the sleep deprivation To avoid that I would need to train hard to improve speed and fitness, or improve my ability to sleep anywhere. With increasing age the motivation is likely to decrease, not increase. The 'fun' in PBP comes from factors like roadside support, meeting people, finishing in time, etc.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson