Author Topic: Bryton 50 ?  (Read 8484 times)

Bryton 50 ?
« on: 12 April, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »
has anyone used a Bryton 50?
i am considering my options before purchasing,ideally i would  like a gps with full map facility so have considered a Garmin 800 (expensive)  or a Bryton or perhaps there are other that are worth buying?
Bryton seem to have a problem with importing maps and gpx files but perhaps you only need the supplied software as that is good enough ?
 :) 

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: Bryton 50 ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »
I am not a user so cannot comment personally, but there seems to be a few happy users over the in the Australian Cycling Forums. Maybe worth a visit/posting there for updates.

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
I have had a Bryton 50 for some time now, and have had no problems importing gpx files or indeed the maps that came with it on the micro SD car (NavTeQ). I have the basic version, without the HRM/cadence function and have been very pleased with it. The website has a few quirks and takes a little getting used to, but is being updated regularly - as is the software in the unit - to iron out bugs. There's no OS-type mapping facility at present, so it's not massively useful for off-road jaunts if that's your bag, but I understand they are coming for the UK in the summer.
Have a good read of the forums here - it's a South African site, 'unofficial' for Bryton but has a lot of UK posters and some good background info. http://www.bryton.co.za/forum

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »
what is the battery life?

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »
Bryton claim 15 hours - longest ride I've done with it so far has been 7 hours, so not been able to check this.

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »
ok,many thanks.I will see what prices i can now come up with for the Garmin and Bryton.after reading various threads on the Bryton and the relative affordable price, the Bryton is looking favourable

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »
I find I get about 11 hours with the Bryton but I like to keep the back light on continually. I used it with great success on a 300km audax last week with a back up battery pack and it was superb. I have had mine for about 7 months now and I am delighted with it. As someone has mentioned already, the website and support is improving all the time. Highly recommended.

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2012, 01:01:17 pm »
I'm also looking in to buying a GPS and th Bryton is on the list. Is the battery built in or is it removable?

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2012, 03:44:05 pm »
Sadly the battery is built in.

Flashman - may I ask where you got your battery back-up from, and is it compatible with the handlebar mount? I know the earlier type of mount for the Bryton 50 gave access to the USB port, but the later version (which I have) doesn't seem to. Thanks.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:14:02 pm »
i have been in belgium this weekend and very impressed with a mate who had a garmin800 but i still cant decide!
the bryton looks good value and especially if you can get an external power supply

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

Flashman - may I ask where you got your battery back-up from, and is it compatible with the handlebar mount? I know the earlier type of mount for the Bryton 50 gave access to the USB port, but the later version (which I have) doesn't seem to. Thanks.

I think the original mount is still available (or at least it was about this time last year, and it didn't sound like they were discontinuing it when I sent them a few queries) which should work with the 90 degree cable.

(I eventually went the Garmin - Etrex30 - route, but mainly 'cos I thought I might want something more mapping orientated, and be able to use AAs - also at the time the mapping was in a state of flux, the one supplied was OSM based but with no way of getting updated OSM on there - it's now Navteq).

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »

Hi Wild Rover, this is the external pack I use, available from Amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet%C2%AE-Dual-Port-Universal-Incredible-Blackberry/dp/B000NDQ92W/ref=sr_1_sc_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1335549376&sr=8-15-spell .  The Bryton can only be used withis when utilising the earlier type mount which I purchased separately from Wiggle.

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »
bryton 50 ordered!
 i will order an external battery pack tonight and no doubt be back on the site to ask how to use it properly when it arrives  :)

« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »
Bryton are due to bring out a new gps with mapping later this year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »
What sort of maps do Bryton satnavs use? I've not found anything clear on their site.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
What sort of maps do Bryton satnavs use? I've not found anything clear on their site.

If you go to the Bryton 50 Rider product page it shows that they use NAVTEQ HD Maps. If you go to the NAVTEQ website you can use the maps like you can Google maps. I am assuming that these are the same maps but.

Andrew

« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

15hours from built in battery? That's a bit meh. I get 22 hours from two AA batteries in my GPS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:12:47 pm »

If you go to the Bryton 50 Rider product page it shows that they use NAVTEQ HD Maps. If you go to the NAVTEQ website you can use the maps like you can Google maps. I am assuming that these are the same maps but.

Andrew
Ooops! Missed that. Ta. I was looking in the spec.  :facepalm:

The Navteq website isn't at all helpful, though. It's targeted at corporate customers (particularly those wishing to install the maps on the devices they make or sell), & users who want to buy map updates. There doesn't seem to be any provision for an individual to buy a map that isn't limited to a specific device, & Bryton isn't listed among the manufacturers of devices using Navteq maps. And nowhere I can see to look at samples of the maps.

I'm trying to compare the mapping available on different GPS makes.

mrcharly: and that's with the backlight off. But you need to look at what the batteries are powering before going 'meh'. Screen size, colour, etc.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »
Oh, sure. the screen on a HcX Legend is a bit pathetic and I wouldn't ever use it to plan a route.

But still - I get 22hours with backlight on (but low) and easily swappable AA batteries.

You have to decide what are your priorities. If touring, having a screen big enough to plan routes on would be a major plus.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »
Re runtime - well, that's kinda par for the course with a built-in battery (and partly why I bought something that takes AAs)..if you had something with the capacity of some decent AAs it'd be bigger.
After quizzing bryton support about runtime, I got an interesting reply which said it depended on gps reception - ie in poor reception it'll take more power because it hunts for satellites. So leaving it on inside a building (ok, a bit pointless) or on a windowsill with poor coverage won't do the runtime any favors.

(It could, of course, be the same with Garmins..)

(Pretty sure I've posted this somewhere here on another thread..)  the two main providers of gps mapping are navteq (a subsidiary of Nokia) and teleatlas (now owned by tomtom, but Garmin were trying to buy 'em at one point). They're both used on satnavs, so I'm not sure I'd get too hung up about one vs t'other. Any wrinkles are probably going to be going offroad where you might need OS-type coverage. The garmin city navigator maps are Navteq.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #20 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »
Apparently Bryton originally used some sort of OpenStreetMap based mapping, but have since switched to Navteq.
It seem there isn't anyway of installing OSM maps on it yourself, or updating the pre-installed OSM maps. See this thread on the Bryton forum: http://www.bryton.co.za/forum/bryton-products/rider-50-gps/openstreetmap-updates-dp1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »
The garmin city navigator maps are Navteq.

Yes.

Garmin have a quarterly release cycle, named with ludicrous future dates ( just like magazines: it's a war as to who can have the 'newest' sounding maps. )  Garmin released CN Europe 2013.1 about a month ago!

Their release cycle seems to lag the current Navteq database quite significantly.
Features which have been present as seen on the Navteq site may take 2 or 3 Garmin release cycles to show up.