Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754734 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5575 on: 17 October, 2014, 11:16:24 am »

You could increase OD's Mudguard envy with these. Sure they cost double but they will last and last (or they better had)

I used to have the Crud Racer 2 on. A bit quicker to put on and off if you want to do that. I have found though that once you ride with Mudguards going back is not so easy.

Both of these fit on the Domane, I wouldn't fancy the first ones with 25's on though and the cruds are VERY tight with 25's. All ok on 23's though.

« Reply #5576 on: 17 October, 2014, 11:18:45 am »
ingenious but sometimes aesthetically undesirable (del  :demon:  ) DIY solutions.
They work! On the Flatlands an older rider said my aesthetically undesirable flap saved his life by deflecting a stone off to the side instead of allowing it to shot him in the forehead!  :thumbsup:

Oh if you want to name the flaps ask tippers.  ;)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5577 on: 17 October, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
Similar but different in one important regard, your Raceblades are too short as I have found to my cost on many an occasion!

Alternatively, fellow riders could wear this  :demon:  ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5578 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:06:04 pm »
Also handy if you are ever required to deal with Ebola sufferers (another bunch of poor souls).

« Reply #5579 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:35:32 pm »
Had a set of the crud racer 2 on my bike last year got fed up with them keep moving so ripped them off going shopping over the weekend to see what i can find.

« Reply #5580 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:44:50 pm »
Tippers your mudguards look very nice but sold out only on pre order. also thinking of changing my 23mm to 28mm tires.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5581 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
Tippers your mudguards look very nice but sold out only on pre order. also thinking of changing my 23mm to 28mm tires.

Flippin' heck!  You'll be wearing cardigans next!  Mind you, wider tyres might slow you down.

Have you got enough clearance for 28mm?

« Reply #5582 on: 17 October, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »

Flippin' heck!  You'll be wearing cardigans next!  Mind you, wider tyres might slow you down.

Have you got enough clearance for 28mm?
Dont know yet need to have a look tonight may be a bit tight if not back to the 25mm. Cardigans are a total no no
but i could do pipe and slippers.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5583 on: 19 October, 2014, 08:17:42 am »
Having tried the full gamut of tyres from 23-32s for audaxing duties and also being a recent convert to marathon pluses, my recommendation is 25s in marathon pluses. They are a bigger tyre, so profile wise are probably similar to a more slender type of 28. I'm still not convinced that duranos are as puncture proof at marathons, I've tried both and never had a puncture on marathon pluses, there that's done it now...... ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5584 on: 19 October, 2014, 08:39:50 am »
My tyres of choice are Durano Plus 23c. I can't get bigger on the Ribble and have had very few p-thingies.

« Reply #5585 on: 19 October, 2014, 08:50:12 pm »
I am using Durano 23s on my bike with my new mudguards don't think 25s will fit had no problems with them

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5586 on: 20 October, 2014, 06:02:09 am »
...I'm still not convinced that duranos are as puncture proof at marathons ...

I don't think they are either, the plastic puncture proofing belt doesn't feel as thick. That said they are pretty tough. For the purposes of science I as seeing how long my current set last. They have been on most of last year and all of this year so far.

« Reply #5587 on: 20 October, 2014, 06:38:35 am »
...I'm still not convinced that duranos are as puncture proof at marathons ...

I don't think they are either, the plastic puncture proofing belt doesn't feel as thick. That said they are pretty tough. For the purposes of science I as seeing how long my current set last. They have been on most of last year and all of this year so far.
The plastic belt is the same it's the tread that is not as deep as M+.
How many miles? I've got a Swallow 23mm tyre on the front wheel of a Rayleigh that has been on there since the late '80's. I don't use this front wheel but it's lasted a long time... :P

ETA: I lied it's a 20mm and the back wheel.

« Reply #5588 on: 20 October, 2014, 11:13:22 am »
my recommendation is 25s in marathon pluses.

Really??? I had 28 Marathon Pluses which turned the Kaffenback in to an absolute dog of a ride. Have regular 25 marathons on the Roller which are ok but a bit stiff.

On the Trucker I've got 26 x 1.6" Marathon Supreme's which are plush lightweight foldy awesomeness. Only 2 p*nctures in 2 years as well.

I'm looking at replacing the Kaff at some point soon and am definitely looking for a frame with better clearance for fat tyres. Probably 700 x 35's Don't think fatness really affects rolling resistance too much personally.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5589 on: 20 October, 2014, 11:17:26 am »
Actually Chris might have a point. Tina the Tandem used to be shod in Marathon XRs which gave a lovely ride. They wore out so I swapped to Marathaon Tours which don't feel so nice. Granted I've only ridden with them once but there was a noticeable difference.

« Reply #5590 on: 20 October, 2014, 11:18:46 am »
I thought Bloomers was strictly a Pasela's man.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5591 on: 20 October, 2014, 11:36:11 am »
Him and Wowbagger. Nuff said  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5592 on: 20 October, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »
So.....who's out and about this Wednesday?

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5593 on: 20 October, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »
I'm ok for Wednesday Tomsk I know OD and Oros aren't available, not sure on Huggy and Tippers? I was thinking about The Rodney, North Hill do they serve decent real ale there? Open to other suggestions.....

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5594 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:19:29 pm »
I haven't been there recently, but probably a good bet - there's always the General's Arms at the top of the hill, or the Cricketers just down on Danbury Common. Del friendly location too, if he's about?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5595 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
....and forward planning alert: Billericay 'Coach and Horses' Chapel Street on Guy Fawkes night. Meeting Brian Taylor for more PBP chat.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5596 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »
Certainly not going to be out on the bike this week due to the continuance of the unwelcome series of our number running into objects on the road.  This evening's incident occurred during my ride to the gym when my leg had a sudden interface with a tin box on wheels swiftly followed by the rest of me being caught from falling by the damp tarmac that circles Spa Road roundabout. I didn't make it to the gym, so much for fitness being good for you.
Next week may well be in doubt too :(
OD was summoned to the scene and was happy to report that the bike was ok  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5597 on: 21 October, 2014, 06:00:12 am »
Huggy was a brave soldier.

From what I can gather it was a clear case of driver inattention. She came whizzing up from the Chipping Hill, gave the roundabout a cursory glance and continued on to it without stopping only to find Huggy in the way. I suppose it's something we've all done as drivers but this time both parties were unlucky.

Kirsty got a phone call from Kazzi so I abandoned my wok and ran along to the roundabout. When I got there our hero was in the back of a St John's blood wagon which was on contract, with its crew, to the NHS. A paramedic car was there too, one of its crew was attending to Huggy, and then the police turned up.

Get well soon Huggster!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5598 on: 21 October, 2014, 06:29:11 am »
Bummer, Huggy. GWS mate.

« Reply #5599 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:16:40 am »
Never mind Huggy!  ::-) How's the bike?  :(

GWS Huggy.  :-*