Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1755120 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8025 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:45:06 am »
It didn't wash your beard off did it ?

That alone might tempt me out this evening.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8026 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:51:16 am »
Quote from: tedshred link=to ??? ???ic=22529.msg1940376#msg1940376 date=1446637506
It didn't wash your beard off did it ?

:o I wondered where it had gone when I arrived at the orifice.......

Anyhow I think you may need to look a little closer for those a bit afraid of some water  ::-) no commute from home the Crowne Plaza today, fairweather commuter  ???

« Reply #8027 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:57:45 am »
Saving myself for the long ride from Crowne Plaza to the Carpenters, getting up Market Hill and laughing and pointing at your beard.

The Retiree

« Reply #8028 on: 04 November, 2015, 12:17:52 pm »
Saving myself for the long ride from Crowne Plaza to the Carpenters, getting up Market Hill and laughing and pointing at your beard.

Before you set off from home on your imaginary fixie just check where the button is to start up your mechanical doping as you approach Market Hill otherwise I fear last orders may have passed by the time you grace us with your presence at the Carpenters!

« Reply #8029 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »
You even have imaginary features on your imaginary bike.

Your childlike enthusiasm is a refreshing antidote to the cynicism of the other older members of the group that you and me have to be carers for.

In this respect I point you towards the picture of OD with a traffic cone on his head and a travel blanket over his legs and rest my case there.

The Retiree

« Reply #8030 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »
You even have imaginary features on your imaginary bike.

Your childlike enthusiasm is a refreshing antidote to the cynicism of the other older members of the group that you and me have to be carers for.

In this respect I point you towards the picture of OD with a traffic cone on his head and a travel blanket over his legs and rest my case there.

Fishing is quite a skill Ted and I like to think you and I are pretty good at it  ;D   Yes quite a few of the pictures I see of OD are very worrying indeed  :facepalm:

« Reply #8031 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:39:55 pm »
Good lord....you two really are back!  ;D I'm waiting for Harry Hill to pop up with his 'only one way to settle this'

I am not likely to be at Spa Road tonight but I will be out I reckon....so will likely see you all in Maldon.

« Reply #8032 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »
You can guide me home if I make it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8033 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »
Good Good....I'll make sure I have the drawing pins in my pocket again ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8034 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »
What time is ETA at Maldon for tonight with you guys?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8035 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:39:33 pm »
What time is ETA at Maldon for tonight with you guys?

Between 8 and 8:30pm.  Remind me, I have a little something for you.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8036 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:41:20 pm »
Hard not to turn up now with that sort of offer!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8037 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:44:22 pm »
Hard not to turn up now with that sort of offer!

You won't be disappointed.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8038 on: 04 November, 2015, 05:56:12 pm »
hmmm.... decisions, decisions... which bike to ride... whether to meet up at spa road or intercept at Kelvedon Rd/Maypole Lane junction...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #8039 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:03:13 am »
Waits for DL's promised 6.15am report, gives up.

DL will need to fill in the exciting bits about meeting at Spa and riding 8 long miles to the new micro pub in Maldon.

I arrived a bit later at the Carpenter's after an epic 10 miler from Crowne Plaza to find a beardless DL, Oaky, Jiberjaber, the Danbury Dogger, AndyQuaffer, Tomsk ,  Tippers and  our beloved leader tucking into Black Fox Porter, various other ales and gin and tonic.

No sooner had i arrived than the kitty kitty purse was handed to me with a list of drinks to buy.  Having done my temporary BB duty (obviously ignoring the g&t order), I was able to sit and join in watching the unfolding power struggle between DL and OD.

Topics ranged from dogging (as ever) to Jiberjaber's fetching matching outfit and accessories via OD's impending poo burying expedition.

The Quaffer's Choice Award went to Anchor Best Bitter.

In a delightful turn of events, Oaky called OD's bluff on his threat to ride the BRT home.  The last that was seen of the intrepid pair was two worried looking people in hi viz checking their stocks of tubes and tyres.  When they make it back to Witham we can all marvel at their tales of adventure in the mud.

Tomsk then delivered one of his quiet but devastating lessons by sprinting off downhill on fixed leaving me (who had been feeling quite pleased with the whole thing) crawling along in his wake squeezing the brake levers for dear life and generally looking like the amateur I clearly am   :facepalm:

Another good autumn turn out on a damp night  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #8040 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:27:35 am »
In what has now become a reoccuring theme Ted has hogged the limelight by wetting the bed to be up earlier than the birds to write up last nights ride report.....

Myself, OD, Andy C33 and Oaky assembled at Spa Rd awaiting Huggy's arrival who then sent a text through to say an early visitation and I think general laziness to change it would prevent him from setting off with us!

So off we went on the long 8 mile trek up and over Great Braxted to arrive in Maldon, myself and Oaky treating ourselves to a little two man chaingang sweeping up Tippers at the top of Market Hill. Already at The Tap Room were Jen and the Danbury Dogger.

Having entered and ordered some pints of Rocking Horse People Jibber rocked up, closely followed by Tomsk out of the drizzle to join us whereby the brewery and Tap Room owner came over and introduced himself and the conversation ranged from Dogging to OD's epic week long trip next year!

Off we departed at last orders (9pm) to make the short ride walk to The Carpenters where we set about sampling some of their range of ales before Ted arrived having been nudged up Market Hill by a bus..... A prompt inadequate job by Ted of getting the next round in equated to an upset OD missing out on his G&T.....  :facepalm: :o Luckily The Quaffer saved the day  :thumbsup:

Things then went downhill rapidly as OD started abusing poor Oaky who ended up with a faceful of said G&T as well as lemon devil horns, this duly got rid of two different sets of people located on the table behind our group  ::-)

As Ted contemplated his long journey back to the Crowne Plaza, no one else took the vote on venturing down the BRT with the voice of reason Tomsk clearly stating 'no' he would be sticking to the roads tonight! (It has been noted via Strava that both OD and Oaky survived the said trip)

Another fantastic entertaining evening I just hope Ted got the hired fixie back ok this morning after being embarrassingly shown up by Tomsk on the departure down Market Hill (best quit whilst your ahead mate  ;) )

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8041 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:53:40 am »
One of the many things I enjoyed about last night was being able to drink beer out of a proper jug ...

Anyhow, I'm not sure getting to the pub at about 8:15 and not leaving until closing time (albeit a different pub) is a sustainable model. I was quite pissed and feel none too chipper this morning.

The BRT was surprisingly dry although that didn't stop me from having a tumble into some long grass. Oaky regaled me to a couple of Flanders and Swan songs to which he knew mostly none of the words!

A top evening as always! 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8042 on: 05 November, 2015, 09:25:25 am »
The BRT was surprisingly dry although that didn't stop me from having a tumble into some long grass.

Yet despite our prior agreement to reconstruct any offs for photographic evidence, OD still jumped up too quickly for me to get the camera out!

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #8043 on: 05 November, 2015, 01:15:43 pm »
First day on my new commute to Bardfield while cycling between Terling and Great Leighs spotted a rider ahead who looked suspiciously like Tomsk out for an early morning jaunt.

« Reply #8044 on: 05 November, 2015, 01:58:06 pm »
I loaded a route, the magenta line, to follow today. Somewhere between converting the kml file to tcx and uploading to my Edge Tour it corrupted and I ended up riding the blue line. They're both anti clockwise but between Crows Lane, on the way to Flambirds, I was told to take a left turn on unpaved road. The unpaved road was a farm track which turned into an extremely muddy public footpath. I had to stop several times to de-mud the wheels and ended up walking the last 1km, forcing my way through a hedge, to get to Hackmans Lane. Once on Hackmans I stopped the route and headed for tea and toast 11ses at White Elms GC.
Riding home from there it felt like I was running tyre wall dynos on both wheels, sounded like it too! Once back home, after the heavy shower and drizzle, I hosed off and re-lubed, did the same to the bike too.  ;)
I had a bloody good time on today's mystery ride!  ;D

ETA: Here's the bike at the bus stop East Hanningfield, sheltering from the shower and some extra de-mudding with a suitable implement.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8045 on: 05 November, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
For Oaky.  I didn't realise Flanders and SwanN had 2 x "n"

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8046 on: 05 November, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »
First day on my new commute to Bardfield while cycling between Terling and Great Leighs spotted a rider ahead who looked suspiciously like Tomsk out for an early morning jaunt.

Was I out of breath, sweating...? Then it wasn't me  ;D [No, really, it wasn't - I had to take #2 to the orthodontist in Bishops Stortford this morning]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8047 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »
Let's shake things up a bit!  I have two suggestions ...

Firstly, each week, until we get bored with the following idea or someone comes up with a better one, or apathy drags us back to the status quo (not that the status quo isn't great fun), a member could produce a route that showcases their area and concludes with a visit to their local pub.  One of the benefits being that Chosen One TM for the week gets a nice short ride home.  I'm happy to go first this Wednesday if folks like the idea.

Secondly, I know this has been discussed before but shall we have a go on the Olympic Velodrome?.  I'm happy to organise - shouldn't be much of a chore.

What do we think?

« Reply #8048 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »
, a member could produce a route that showcases their area and concludes with a visit to their local pub.  One of the benefits being that Chosen One TM for the week gets a nice short ride home. 

I thought that was what we were doing, hence the imbalance of coastal rides east of the A12 over the summer  :thumbsup:

Does this mean fewer visits to HQ ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8049 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:44:24 pm »
, a member could produce a route that showcases their area and concludes with a visit to their local pub.  One of the benefits being that Chosen One TM for the week gets a nice short ride home. 

I thought that was what we were doing, hence the imbalance of coastal rides east of the A12 over the summer  :thumbsup:

Does this mean fewer visits to HQ ?

No, I don't think this is what we are doing!  Or if we are I am blissfully unaware.

Trips to The Compasses could always be inserted into the programme.