Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754669 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #19275 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:22:21 pm »
Bit far for me in my current unknown fitness. I'll be spending some of my day on the gravel bike to see where I am bike wise :)

Enjoy! :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19276 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:26:52 pm »
Don't recognise any of those place names!

We is goin' Proper Forrin ...

The Rising Sun is the furthest south so best for Nick and Bernster I guess - that's ok then? A few seats outside at the front (facing the sunset),  plus a picket fence for bike parking, open to 23:00, CAMRA says:

This friendly village local has never used handpumps: a range of four or five beers are served on gravity, often featuring East Anglian breweries such as Tring, Adnams and Oakham. Although recently refurbished, the original character has been preserved by means of a stone floor, attractive fireplace and wood panelling. Popular with locals and walkers. Parking is in the village hall car park opposite.

« Reply #19277 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:34:41 pm »
I have a sore hamstring tendon following my ride round the Rutland Explorer perm last Thursday so I won’t be riding but I could possibly make a motor assisted trip.

« Reply #19278 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:05:18 pm »
Don't recognise any of those place names!

We is goin' Proper Forrin ...

The Rising Sun is the furthest south so best for Nick and Bernster I guess - that's ok then? A few seats outside at the front (facing the sunset),  plus a picket fence for bike parking, open to 23:00, CAMRA says:

This friendly village local has never used handpumps: a range of four or five beers are served on gravity, often featuring East Anglian breweries such as Tring, Adnams and Oakham. Although recently refurbished, the original character has been preserved by means of a stone floor, attractive fireplace and wood panelling. Popular with locals and walkers. Parking is in the village hall car park opposite.

Perfect, thank you and see you there - what time?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19279 on: 14 June, 2023, 07:18:35 am »
Perfect, thank you and see you there - what time?

If I set off at 19:00 I should be there around 20:30.  :thumbsup:

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #19280 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:59:52 am »
I'll do the same - going to attempt some main road avoiding COR to get there, although with the lack of rain lately hopefully shouldn't be too challenging.

« Reply #19281 on: 14 June, 2023, 09:34:53 am »
So close to me.

I might be able to drop eldest sprog at home and still be over to High Wych before 10, although in team van.

Hopefully see you tonight.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19282 on: 14 June, 2023, 02:23:06 pm »
So close to me.

I might be able to drop eldest sprog at home and still be over to High Wych before 10, although in team van.

Hopefully see you tonight.

:thumbsup: Definitely the closest we've got to Harlow!

I'll do the same - going to attempt some main road avoiding COR to get there, although with the lack of rain lately hopefully shouldn't be too challenging.

Lea/Stort towpath?

« Reply #19283 on: 14 June, 2023, 02:36:38 pm »
Great, I will aim for 1930- 2000

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #19284 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:19:25 pm »
Lea/Stort towpath?
I'm road testing my SS audax bike (28mm tyres) after fitting a new bottom bracket as I'm planning a DIY 600 next week, so I'm not sure I can handle that much COR. I plan to cycle up to Widford and then cut across off road. Interestingly the shortest sensible fully on road route to High Wych takes me past both Green Tye and Allen's Green. They're really spoiled for choice in that part of East Herts for GBG pubs!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19285 on: 14 June, 2023, 04:23:46 pm »
Called in to Sir Evlyn Wood today to confirm a rumour that Trish (ex OT manager) has taken it over, and she has!
https://goo.gl/maps/oWnnV2BnUYDzXkys8

Early days at the moment, cash only, Maldon Gold and Wherry, Port Jackson (porter) on tap, large garden to rear easily accessable and after discussion she would realy welcome a Wednesday night visit from us to help build the coffers to go towards putting the place right!

Not sure on the updated opening times, it was a bit to inconsistant in the past and the google opening times don't look right to me but she's on teh case of fixing up the socials and I suppose I could call in to confirm again sometime this week  :thumbsup:

Somewhere to consider in a few weeks perhaps?  If it goes how she ran the OT it should be a great beer place!
Regards,

Joergen

Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #19286 on: 14 June, 2023, 04:29:09 pm »
Called in to Sir Evlyn Wood today to confirm a rumour that Trish (ex OT manager) has taken it over, and she has!
https://goo.gl/maps/oWnnV2BnUYDzXkys8

Early days at the moment, cash only, Maldon Gold and Werry, Port Jackson (porter) on tap, large garden to rear easily accessable and after discussion she would realy welcome a Wednesday night visit from us to help build the coffers to go towards putting the place right!

Not sure on the updated opening times, it was a bit to inconsistant in the past and the google opening times don't look right to me but she's on teh case of fixing up the socials and I suppose I could call in to confirm again sometime this week  :thumbsup:

Somewhere to consider in a few weeks perhaps?  If it goes how she ran the OT it should be a great beer place!
Sounds like a great idea!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #19287 on: 15 June, 2023, 10:54:31 pm »
I've got stuff to return to Tomsk. Assuming he is free, would Coggeshall work.on Wednesday? Or anywhere in Halstead? Or a foreign visit to Clare?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19288 on: 18 June, 2023, 07:28:25 pm »
I've got stuff to return to Tomsk. Assuming he is free, would Coggeshall work.on Wednesday? Or anywhere in Halstead? Or a foreign visit to Clare?
Coggeshall might work, depends on work stuff.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19289 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:28:20 pm »
Coggeshall is ok by me - the Chapel Inn, or the Woolpack (by the church) as last time? Last week a visit to the Viper was discussed, mark for a future visit soon? And the Spiritual Home next week of course.

It's a good time of year for the track through from the Pattiswick road (Ambridge Lane), to get to Coggeshall from Bocking, avoiding the A120 completely. Fairly mild COR if dry ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19290 on: 20 June, 2023, 05:17:51 pm »
Shall we go to the Woolpack again then?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #19291 on: 20 June, 2023, 09:30:24 pm »
Woolpack sounds good :thumbsup:.

Make sure you have space for your box of ACME stamps etc :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #19292 on: 20 June, 2023, 10:04:29 pm »
Coggeshall is probably a bit too far for my first test of my hamstring’s recovery.  Will try to get a pass for the SH next week.

« Reply #19293 on: 20 June, 2023, 11:03:38 pm »
Ah, got my route planned but I forgot that my wife is out on Wednesday night. Will do my best to make the SH next week to catch up!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19294 on: 20 June, 2023, 11:24:53 pm »

What time are we thinking?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19295 on: 21 June, 2023, 07:31:51 am »
What time are we thinking?

It's about 1h30 for me via a scenic route, so around 20:30-21:00 arrival for me.

Time to dig out the bigger saddlebag! It'll be needed for the Tourdax anyway.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #19296 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:41:11 am »
8:30 sounds good

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #19297 on: 21 June, 2023, 05:59:24 pm »
Out to play, may be at the Woolpack about 8:45
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #19298 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:10:13 pm »
Out to play also

« Reply #19299 on: 27 June, 2023, 09:55:14 pm »
I have a last minute pass as daughters Explorers has been cancelled due leader sickness.
Yes I could volunteer to run it but the scouts (10.5-14) is hard enough. Dealing with a load 14-18 year olds feels me with dread  + According to daughter dearest having your dad running it isn’t cool  :facepalm:

Are you still planning for the Spiritual Home tomorrow?

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation