Author Topic: Hartside 200 25th anniversary edition  (Read 1671 times)

Hartside 200 25th anniversary edition
« on: 07 June, 2019, 12:26:39 am »
Anyone else riding the 25th anniversary edition of the classic north east Audax? As the late, great Graham Wanless used to say, it has hills, but doesn't take the piss. It's a gorgeous loop around the North Pennines, and every UK audaxer should ride it at least once.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-693/

If anyone does want to make it more of a challenge, it's relatively easy to include an out-and-back up Great Dun Fell :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Hartside 200 25th anniversary edition
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2019, 01:29:24 am »
FCVO "doesn't take the piss"   :P

Looks splendid.  Fortunately, some human-powered reprobates have provided me with an excuse...

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:41:51 pm »
My Audax rides have been really poor this year - only managed a 200km in Jan. But this looks wonderful, and as I'd done a training ride up Hartside a few weeks back have an idea what to expect so have decided to give this one a go.

Btw - cheers for the mention of Great Dunn Fell - had read about it in the edition of the Simon Warrens Cycling Climbs of the Northwest - he mentioned it's a terrific climb, 'the best in England' - but he also rated it for difficulty as 11 / 10 !!!

Just wondering for those who've attempted it is it as brutal as it is sounds (guessing so) ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:53:10 pm »
Btw - cheers for the mention of Great Dunn Fell - had read about it in the edition of the Simon Warrens Cycling Climbs of the Northwest - he mentioned it's a terrific climb, 'the best in England' - but he also rated it for difficulty as 11 / 10 !!!

Just wondering for those who've attempted it is it as brutal as it is sounds (guessing so) ?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91406.0 refers.

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:00:38 am »
Many thanks for the info link - very useful reading

Looks *amazing* but based on this comment especially - think I'll keep it on the safe side and focus on the 200km and maybe return to try the ascent some other day

"The Cleveland guys you linked to seemed to think it was one of (if not THE) hardest climbs they've ever done!"

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:07:40 am »
I might ride it. But does anyone else think the gpx and route sheet downloads on the site are for the wrong audax or is it just me

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:08:17 am »
I might ride it. But does anyone else think the gpx and route sheet downloads on the site are for the wrong audax or is it just me

Yeah, I noticed that.

« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:16:05 am »
There you go folks:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27889954

Had a fantastic day out on this last year with wall to wall sunshine; so hot that most of the riders had stopped for a cold one in a bar at Middleton after the climb over Yad Moss. A superb route along Swaledale and return over Hartside and Yad Moss, can't recommend it enough: will dig out a few pics if anybody is interested in getting an idea of it.

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:29:53 am »

Good spot, Ben - I'll mention it to Dave.

I think it's a glitch in the AUK system - when I duplicated one of my events, it attached the routesheet and gpx for a completely different event.

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2019, 11:14:00 pm »
Dave sent out the route and GPS files today - looks a fabulous ride - really looking forwards to attempting it

S2L

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2019, 04:29:34 pm »
3 AAA points for 2752 mt of climbing is an absolute bargain... not sure how that's possible :thumbsup: