Author Topic: Rear hubs, oln's and frame sizes  (Read 4543 times)

Rear hubs, oln's and frame sizes
« on: 16 April, 2008, 09:35:48 am »
OK, so I'll be collecting Heinz from Basil in the next few days, hopefully.   I'm looking at the rear and thinking that it is probably a 126 oln given it's a five speed block. Feasibly it could even be a 130  I suppose but it looks too old for that.   I know I could just ask Basil to kindly measure it but hey, that sort of takes the fun out of speculating and pontificating  :D

Looking at hubs I'm wondering whether a 120 oln will be fine and allow the frame to be 'pinched in', or a 130 maybe with some stretch, or do I need to cold set the frame when I know what hub I'll be using?

Tips and advice from the sages of the board most welcome please.

Re: Rear hubs, oln's and frame sizes
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 09:39:29 am »
Why not cold set it ? It is easy to do and doesn't take long. Sheldon Brown has the instructions.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 10:06:22 am »
I've used a 130 hub in a 126 steel frame withou bothering to cold-set it; there's enough sprong in the frame for this not to be a problem unless it's made from some particularly nasty variation on the theme of East Tokyo Metropolitan Water Board Mains Supply (Earthquake-Proof model)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
I have read Sheldons page.   I think I'll be thinking very carefully about that.  Cold setting looks easy when Sheldon explains it but he's not come across a ham-fisted brute like me I suspect!

Perhpas I will ask Basil to measure up for me first ...

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:08:06 am »
A 126 steel frame will cope with a 120 or 130 hub just fine.  The only issue can be clearance of the smallest sprocket on the seat stay with a 130 hub.  If you're fixing it, that won't be an issue

It can be a bit fiddle to get the wheel in/out, but it works.

I ran a 135 OLN Pomp with a 130 hub for years, and a 126 Hetchins also with a 130 hub.

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:13:26 am »
It is indeed destined to be a fixie.  My curiosity is because I've been scouring the for sales allover thenet and found a few potential rear wheels.  Some are 120's and some 130's.   

I recall now years ago having a bike that the rar wheel was always a snug fit.  I remember after one service I left off a washer from beneath the locknut each side.  Hey presto, it slid in a treat!   Why they were there I never know.  Perhaps it was just factory standard fitment, and manufacturing tolerances were not really bothered about.  It was a Raleigh  bike from the early eighties!

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:21:19 am »
It is indeed destined to be a fixie.  My curiosity is because I've been scouring the for sales allover thenet and found a few potential rear wheels.  Some are 120's and some 130's. 

Yes.  Goldtec & Royce do any size you want - they just change the spacers - but nearly all fixed hubs are 120, 130 or 135

You could convert a 126 freewheel hub to a fixed, of course.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:22:16 am »
OK, so I'll be collecting Heinz from Basil in the next few days, hopefully.   I'm looking at the rear and thinking that it is probably a 126 oln given it's a five speed block. Feasibly it could even be a 130  I suppose but it looks too old for that.

I think it will be 120 or 126.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:26:47 am »
You could convert a 126 freewheel hub to a fixed, of course.

I have seen your excellent thread but I'm also finding complete wheels for sale at reasonable prices so I have to consider all my options.

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:27:48 am »
OK, so I'll be collecting Heinz from Basil in the next few days, hopefully.   I'm looking at the rear and thinking that it is probably a 126 oln given it's a five speed block. Feasibly it could even be a 130  I suppose but it looks too old for that.

I think it will be 120 or 126.

I think so.  I'm even thinking it may be 120 after reading Sheldon's pages.

iakobski

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:32:36 am »
Use a 120 hub and add spacers as necessary. There's certainly no point cold setting a frame smaller. True, pinching in is no problem, but it will irritate you everytime you have to adjust the tension, for the sake of a few spacers.

It also gives you some easy chainline adjustment, should you need to tweak it.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:33:12 am »
I'm also finding complete wheels for sale at reasonable prices so I have to consider all my options.

You could build your own - you can get an On-One hub for £15 and a Planet X DN6 rim about the same.  Builds into a very nice wheel.

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
I'm also finding complete wheels for sale at reasonable prices so I have to consider all my options.

You could build your own - you can get an On-One hub for £15 and a Planet X DN6 rim about the same.  Builds into a very nice wheel.

Indeed.  And it would be fun in the process.