Author Topic: Passport Renewal  (Read 1258 times)

Passport Renewal
« on: 28 August, 2013, 08:08:03 am »

Is it worth the extra cash to use the Passport Check & Send service from the Post Office?

Thanks.

Chris S

Re: Passport Renewal
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:10:21 am »
It was for me, when I was in a hurry - but then I am a bit simple (used blue ink on the form - that's a no no).

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:11:27 am »
When I renewed earlier this year I used the post office service. The assisitant asked where I was going. After hearing I was cycling across France she asked if I was a professional cyclist  :) :) :)

Well worth the money for that alone.

Otherwise she did spot one error which would have delayed things and the renewed passport came back very quickly (can't remember exactly but it was under two weeks). So for me it was worth it.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:14:09 am »
It is IMO. It's very easy to make an error and have it sent back. I cocked up the photos last time...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:18:12 am »
I used it last year, because it was summer and I needed it back fairly quickly. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd had more time, though. I found the forms straightforward enough.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:22:02 am »
We don't have this facility and have to send our passports to Paris. Never had one sent back yet.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:25:27 am »
I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice here. We have our butler take care of such matters.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
I've done ours online. I take the photos myself and laser print them.

Touch wood, none of the 6 or 7 renewals I've done have ever gone wrong.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »
I haven't bothered, but I haven't needed my passport in a hurry.

The online thing seems to work.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »
Never bothered.
If you can read, write, count and look similar to your old passport pic, your new passport will reach you within a week off-season.
Never had trouble.

Jakob

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2013, 06:12:31 am »
Oh crap, reminds me that mine expires in October!!

ian

« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2013, 08:21:28 am »
Not much help unless you are in London and have a deeper pocket, but I've always used the same day service for renewals. Spending four hours in the pub while you wait for it is optional.

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2013, 06:00:24 pm »
Not much help unless you are in London and have a deeper pocket, but I've always used the same day service for renewals. Spending four hours in the pub while you wait for it is optional.

You can do the same if you're anywhere near Durham (for a pub visit, I recommend Colpitts House, underneath the viaduct).

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »

No hurry for renewal so decided to go without the help of the Post Office.

Though the one day service with a pub crawl in Durham does sound good.

Thanks all  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »
I've never used the Post Office service, and my last two renewals have been done with the "one day" service, so I've just gone into the passport office next to Victoria Station, queued up for a while, spent a few minutes at the counter, and then had to wait a few hours for the passport to be printed.

On both occasions I had no problem with the form, but it does come with quite a lot of information about exactly what you should and shouldn't do.  Read things carefully, and you should be fine.

I've also know people use the Post Office service, and still have the form rejected, because the Post Office counter bod didn't notice a mistake.  I think they could have gotten their money back from the Post Office, but obviously not all the hassle involved, which was what they were trying to avoid by using that facility.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
Just read the form carefully, comply with all the conditions, send the money in the way they want it and wait a week; it's really not that difficult. If your name has changed through marriage etc or you've changed any spelling, it's more complex. You also need to send proof for any posh courtesy title.