Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 128218 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #50 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:01:26 am »
Kenyan Wathenge

Mild but bright and lively. More winey than citrussy. Nice.

Jeez what a ponce. It's only coffee you are talking about  ::-)

;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #51 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
It's only coffee

*lsap*

I shall have satisfaction for that blasphemy, sir!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #52 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:48:07 am »
Nescafé Speciality Coffee Mixes Cappuccino.  Powdered cappuccino. Just add water.  Tastes of chemicals   :sick: :sick: :sick:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #53 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:52:31 am »
Filter coffee (Miles' Colombian) but with a heavy dose of Sainsburys Instant Hot Chocolate mix, to make an ersatz mocca

« Reply #54 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »
Union Hand Roast Revelation.  Again.  After months of trying different espresso blends I've come back to this.  Nice rounded warm chocolate base with fresh citrus overtones - tastes sophisticated yet clean and isn't overbearing.  It's very easy to work with and consistent.  The beans aren't oily and it grinds very consistently.  It's the same sort of taste as Happy Donkey Brazilian, but is sufficiently more refined to justify the extra cost.

Prior to this I ran a bagful of Union Foundation beans through - it's a sharper, darker blend with more pronounced orange/lemon citurs acidity than Revelation.  Very nice when you get it right but hard to live with.  It seemed very temperature dependent too and clogged a damp basket in a strange way.

« Reply #55 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:05:54 pm »
And you weren't going to get into it that much.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I O.D.'d on espresso coffee over the two week break.  Had 8 bags delivered just to be safe.  Got through 5.

I've cut back on the stuff and I've rediscovered my whisky cabinet, instead (sort of).  Got 10 on the go at the moment.

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 17 January, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »
Bad day last week; ran out of Grand Mere from France for the plunger thingy at work, had to make do with Co-Op Fairtrade sawdust

can you get Grand Mere anywhere in the UK?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #57 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:43:08 am »
Yorkshire Tea :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #58 on: 18 January, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
Bad day last week; ran out of Grand Mere from France for the plunger thingy at work, had to make do with Co-Op Fairtrade sawdust

Why would you want to? It's shite  ;D

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:38:54 pm »

Why would you want to? It's shite  ;D

can you suggest anything as good available here? (Lavazza need not apply) Jaques Vebre also rings a bell from various French Forays

What's Costa's packet stuff like?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #60 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:03:13 pm »
I saw a cute little 3 cup cafetiere[1] in t*sc*s the other day while grocery shopping, so I thought I might as well try that
and some nice ground coffee rather than chemically ehnanced instant coffee!

Tried some T*sc* Original Blend Roast and Ground Coffee, a heaped desert spoon in the cafetiere, which makes a lovely cup of non chemical testing coffee!
(Also stimulates a daily motion too!   :thumbsup: brb... flush...  :) )

I just hope I'm not going to turn into Too Much Coffee Man[sup[2][/sup]

[1] Actually rather than 3 cup it makes a nice mugful!
[2]http://www.tmcm.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #61 on: 11 February, 2011, 11:46:24 am »
Monmouth Coffee : Pasajquim

Woof! This is good shit.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #62 on: 11 February, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
I bought a box of La Perruche sugar lumps yesterday.  I also pulycaffed my Rancilio and loaded a fresh bag of Union Revelation beans.  Once I'd calibrated the grind, I made an espresso in my new illy cup and stirred in half a lump of the sugar. 

Heaven, just heaven. 

The sugar is unique and, quite uncannilly, takes you straight to the land of the alledged cheese eating surrender monkeys.  Give me this to trench warfare any day of the week.

« Reply #63 on: 18 March, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »
I'm back to Red Monkey for a couple of bags.  I think I like Revelation better, but it's very close between the two.  The Union definitely grinds more consistently, which gives it the edge for me.

« Reply #64 on: 18 March, 2011, 07:19:26 pm »
Revelation for the first time.  Really really good, similar style to Red Monkey, but a little better.

« Reply #65 on: 02 April, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »
I have just pulled the trigger on a Revelation subscription order.   I love it.

« Reply #66 on: 02 April, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »
It makes nice filter coffee too

« Reply #67 on: 06 April, 2011, 07:37:09 am »
Revelation for the first time. 

Still enjoying it Rammy?  I find it makes a really magnificent tiger-stripe crema too, and is fascinating to watch it gloop down through a bottomless portafilter.

Any La Perruche yet?

« Reply #68 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:14:29 am »
I have two bags in the freezer, but I only get it out if I know I'm going to do a whole bag in a weekend or holiday time. It is a lovely coffee to use in an espresso machine and I agree it is always a good sign when the first few drops come out like gloopy tar.

Thanks for reminding me about La Perruche. I'll pop into Waitrose later

Update: they have it in Waitrose £1.79 a 500g box. Will have to wait until Monday to try it out  :thumbsup:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #69 on: 06 April, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »
Carte Noir instant, drunk black. Not up to all this high tech stuff, but well suited to my taste of quick, simple, not overpowering flavor. :)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #70 on: 10 April, 2011, 11:16:31 am »
Ok, technical difficulty with the Perruche, Tewders.

As you know, I make the espresso thick and strong. In true Italian style it gets slurped up in one go and not lingered over. The Perruche granules that make up the lump are very coarse, and the density of the liquid is too thick to dissolve it quick enough before the coffee has cooled too much.

The upside is that what gets left in the bottom of the cup is 3/4 of the lump but imbued with espresso   :P

« Reply #71 on: 15 April, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »
Onto the third and final bag of Revelation.

My god, this stuff is near perfect.  The blend is just spot on, so much so that I have been drinking purely espresso from it.  It has a great mix of whatever the base coffee is, with a heft of Indonesian to give it a dark duskiness and weight, and a subtle dose of East African  to give it a dark chocolate orange hue.  It is also very consistent and tolerant of my hamfistedness.

Bloomin' marvellous.  :thumbsup:

I've just roasted some of the green Red Monkey Organic I had left.  I'll give it a week to settle down then compare now that I am really used to the Rev.

« Reply #72 on: 02 May, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »
After reading all the above I decided to shop for some Union Revelation beans.

I've ended up registering with Ocado since they stock them and I can get a free delivery with the rest of my groceries tomorrow evening. Even better, I found a code online for £15 off for new customers so I got a bargain too :)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #73 on: 02 May, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »
I usually stick to Taylors of Harragate. I'm on the Carte Noir this week as it was in the cheap bin in the supermarket. Im still looking for these cat poo coffee beans, looks like Tescos /Sainsburys won't be getting them anytyime soon.

« Reply #74 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
Yay I am drinking my first cup of revelation  :thumbsup: