Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144127 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #300 on: 31 July, 2020, 05:56:56 am »
Been out for my end-of-month 5k PB attempt.

Knocked 38 seconds off my previous 5k PB and clocked 29:04.  I regard myself as almost a sub 30 5k runner now as I have dipped below 30 minutes twice!  😊

Also clocked up my most kms per month but what is far more important is that I have got into the habit of three runs per week. 

Feeling a tad smug and looking forward to my new plan which I start on Monday. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #301 on: 31 July, 2020, 06:40:24 am »
Morning PB, another early start I see.

Congratulations on the 5k And monthly distance. Enjoy your moment of Sumgness, you’ve earned it.  :thumbsup:

As posted elsewhere, I’ve gone some turmoil here, so I don’t know if I’m going to be able to get out this morning as planned. I’m not happy. I’ll update the thread later if I do get out.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #302 on: 31 July, 2020, 06:56:12 am »
Get out for a run if you can, Beardy.

It will do you good. Getting out the door will be hard, as will the first 5min of the run. But it will do you good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #303 on: 31 July, 2020, 07:12:52 am »
Morning PB, another early start I see.

Congratulations on the 5k And monthly distance. Enjoy your moment of Sumgness, you’ve earned it.  :thumbsup:

As posted elsewhere, I’ve gone some turmoil here, so I don’t know if I’m going to be able to get out this morning as planned. I’m not happy. I’ll update the thread later if I do get out.

Morning Beardy,

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Missing a run because of life isn't the end of the world.  I found taking a break last Friday immensely revitalising.  Having said this, I know just how much a run  an lift my spirits.

The ToJ is amusing me.  I have just knocked out a 29:04 5k and it is predicting that I can do 5k in 29:29.  Planet Garmin is a truly fucked up place.  🤣

Hope things pan out for thr better and you slip those running shoes on sometime very soon.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #304 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:47:36 am »
I took myself off for a run, got lost, got hooked onto a bramble, by the nose!, and ended up walking home because it was too hot.

But I do feel better. The run allowed me to clear my head and the walk back gave me time to think things through. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #305 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:50:02 am »
exercise; even when it is bad it is good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #306 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:54:47 am »
Ah, the joys of running.

Glad you got out Beardy and that even Iin adversity it improved your wellbeing.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #307 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:11:19 am »
Thanks folks.

« Reply #308 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:18:42 am »
My pleasure.

Keeping an eye out for updates from our latest recruits.  I remember all too well how tough it was in the early weeks.  It helps to know that others are also pushing through and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #309 on: 31 July, 2020, 02:35:28 pm »
I did my third run of week 1 today after work. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5312634090 (track does not include warm up walk before and cool down after).

I went straight out after work and before lunch as it was already 31 degrees here and due to heat up to 34. I get home from work at 12:15, start at 07:00.

As I don't eat breakfast (am keto) I hadn't eaten since last night, and had done two velomobile commutes to work (10 minutes each way), but I really didn't feel the need for any food before the run. It is very convenient to power from ketones rather than carbs.

The run felt relatively easy again. I take smallish paces and I am not a great deal faster than walking and I am not particularly elegant but that's not the point. I fortunately don't get too badly affected by heat when cycling and it seems with running too.

We are expecting electric storms on Sunday so I will have to see if I can fit in the first run of week 2 then. If not I'll aim for Monday, Wednesday and Friday runs directly after work (and before lunch) as that is a time when it is a bit cooler and there aren't so many people out and about on the quiet country lanes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #310 on: 31 July, 2020, 02:56:56 pm »
I am slightly envious of your incredible heat shield. 

And, congratulations on finishing week 1.   

Access to your garmin link is limited I'm afraid.

« Reply #311 on: 31 July, 2020, 04:08:56 pm »
Well done all. Thinking of Beardy’s bramble, I always used to reckon that if I didn’t bleed it wasn’t real - albeit brambled legs rather than face. It’s all good:)

I went for a run at lunchtime today - couldn’t resist as it was so sunny and warm. Have to say that it reminded me of running in Provence a couple of years ago, without the vineyard and olive groves, but a place in my mind. HR high and pace slow, but just lovely. Did I say I like the warm.

Looking forward to more reports and smiled at AH’s velomobile commute. There’s a way to arrive.

« Reply #312 on: 31 July, 2020, 04:21:16 pm »
I got my run in before half-eight this morning and it was already too hot for me. 
And I was very slow, but at least I was out there.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #313 on: 31 July, 2020, 06:06:08 pm »
That bramble was REAL! I couldn’t get the damn thing out as 3 separate thorns punctured the skin two of which must have been opposing. The people who drove past must have wondered what the hell I was doing while I was simultaneously trying to stand still, hold on to a bramble stalk without getting more punctures, trying to stand on tiptoe because I must have hit the bramble as I came down, and trying to workout which way the thorns were sticking in me so, I could remove them without too much damage. The tears did bleed a little, (I,was unsuccessful in working out which way they went in)  ut the puncture wound less so.

« Reply #314 on: 03 August, 2020, 06:18:21 am »
Hmmm...

Got up as planned.  All the pre run stuff went to plan.  Left the house full of anticipation for my 12k run.  Once again at 5k the self-doubt crept in.   I have no idea why this is happening.  Last week I stopped at 6k, this week at 7k.  It's as though my brain just doesn't want to do the distance.

That's one missed run and two truncated ones in the past two weeks.  Forget my current plans - my head clearly doesn't share my thoughts!

I need to somehow reset my stupid brane.  I know what happens when I lose the enjoyment factor, I just stop.  I don't want that to happen but I don't think that I have control of it. 

Ho hum. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #315 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:33:28 am »
Morning PB. Sorry to here of your issues, perhaps a change of route will help? An out and return route means you’ve got to do the second half distance anyway so you might as well run it. Or perhaps a distraction technique as discussed in this weeks Running Channel video? I hope you get on top of it though.

I’ve got to wait until the groceries have been delivered and hopefully the current bout of weather will have desisted by then. I’m hoping not to have TEH DOWTS as a well, though my last run truncation was in part down to getting lost and extending my planned distance.   :facepalm:

« Reply #316 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:50:37 am »
Morning Beardy,

I would love a change of route but there is a very significant reason why that is not possible for me just now.  You may be aware that I am registered as severely sight impaired / blind.  As a result I cannot just jump into a car and drive somewhere else, nor can I trust the local roads and pavements.  I have been doing a fair bit of local walking to try and find a "safe" alternative for me but without success.  Warwickshire councils are despucably bad at road and pavement maintenance.  At present I am stuck with my local rec "safe" 1k lap.  🤔

I do have a stretch of Sustrans former railway line which I am planning to start using for my Wednesday runs.  This is 3k out Nd 3k back so I can see myself doing the "out and back" no problem but I'm certain that I will not turn and repeat.

I will have to redouble my efforts to try and find somewhere else to run.  When the autumn truly arrives I can take the mid-morning bus out to Draycote reservoir but at present it is too hot, sunny or both for me to do this.

Hopefully I will crack this little mental block soon. 

Any treats in the shopping?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #317 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:19:00 am »
Ah, I didn’t know about the eye-sight, now I understand the rec laps. No wonder you find it ‘easy’ to give in to the BRANE‘S demands to ‘stop this nonsense now!’, I can’t even manage too start a second lap if my route is a shorter loop and goes past my house mid run. Chapeau on the achievements thus far. I’d offer to be a running buddy, but you’re a bit far from me, and besides I’m not sure you’d be happy at my pace and there’s no way (yet) that I could match yours.

Far too many treats in the shopping given that I’m supposed to be dieting  :-[

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #318 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:51:06 am »
Sent home from work early today as our server wasn’t working so we couldn’t do any work.

I took the opportunity for my first run of week 2 in the cooler morning temperatures.

It went fine, seemed not much harder than last week. I’ll run again on Wednesday and Friday, although the temperature on Friday is likely to be up to 34 degrees.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #319 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:10:30 am »
MrsC did her 2nd C25K run on the weekend. No soreness, she's starting to enjoy it.

We are going on holiday for a couple of weeks; she has declared that the running shoes are going with her.

Bit of a change from the holiday last year when she didn't want me to take my shoes.

I've already told her that if she turns into a runner she'll probably be faster than me. She has the legs for it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #320 on: 03 August, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
Week 1 run 2.

3km done. Took it nice and easy. Slight twinge from the knee when I started the first jog part, but no problem once I was warmed up and had settled into a nice pace.

I enjoyed it, really having to remind myself to take it easy and don't push things too much. I don't want to end up like last time.

Still, after 70km on the bike yesterday, this was a good was of stretching the legs.

I hope you can find your rhythm again PB.

« Reply #321 on: 03 August, 2020, 01:38:48 pm »
Good to see that others are getting their teeth into C25K.   Fond memories and reminds me not to waste six months of hard work.   Keep up the good work folks.  👍

Thanks Hulver.  I shall think about how to press restart whilst doing a 6k on the dissused Railway line at sunrise on Wednesday.  🙂

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #322 on: 03 August, 2020, 01:43:19 pm »
Polar Bear, I have been thinking about your words about discouragement a little.

A couple of years ago I nearly gave up with the velomobile because the men I ride with are so much faster and I was simply exhausting myself whenever I rode with them. I would come in completely spent and they would say "that was a really relaxing ride, I feel like I haven't done anything." When we went out together the original 60km might magically extend to 80km and I would just be trying desperately to hang on. So I very, very nearly chucked the whole thing in.

Instead I chucked money at the problem and had a motor fitted (which has been wonderful, I wish I had done it before). However, what I also learned from this episode was to listen to my body. If I don't feel like doing something hard, do an easier version. I really don't want to fall out of love with cycling and if I kept forcing myself to do it when it was too hard for me, that is what would happen. Instead I ride as far as I feel I can manage that day and I am happier for it. I'm not chasing any distance or speed goals (motor is cheating anyway), I'm getting older now and my best days are behind me. But I want to keep riding for enjoyment, and so I make sure I enjoy it.

Lange Rede kurzer Sinn... if you only feel like running 6km instead of the 10km, is that really so bad? It's still a run, it's still helping your fitness. Maybe you will feel like the 10km next week.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #323 on: 03 August, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
Polar Bear, this isn't advice or anything, or even saying that you're like me, this is just what happened to me.

I've always been a quiter. I give things up when they get hard. I never put the work in, I just did the bare minimum and when it wasn't enough, I gave up.

Until recently. When lockdown started, I started using my turbo trainer with TheSufferfest videos. I've done this before, but never like this, and never with the automatic setting of resistance used so much.

Previously when it got hard, I would ease off, or stop. I would convince myself that I'd done enough, couldn't do anymore, should save some energy.

Once I got into it though, I would carry on. It was only 40 minutes, then I could stop. So I did. I started finishing all the workouts. I would just carry on. If I was tired and didn't want to continue, I'd look at the time left and see that it was just 5 more minutes, or just 2 more minutes before a rest break.

I got in the habit of finishing, rather than stopping. It was a hard habit to break, but now when I'm on the bike, or running, I know that I don't have to stop. I can carry on and I will finish it.

Your runs are nothing to fear. You can do them, you've done them before. When the fear hits you, don't listen to your heart, listen to your head. You can do it, you know you can because you've done it before. Just do another few minutes, and then another few more.

« Reply #324 on: 03 August, 2020, 03:09:51 pm »
PB I would support hulver response.  I went on a counselling course (TA) many years ago and the person leading the course opened with the question, "How are you going to sabotage what you could learn from this course today?"

It has always stuck with me as i have many ways of sabotaging things.  In fact i have a job on my desk which could be a game changer or a failure.  My procrastination is the main reason it might fail though and then I would be proved right.

There is nothing wrong with a bad day and just walking for most of the run, it is all cardiovascular exercise.