Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945823 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
What do you do with those little bastard flies, the ones that associate themselves with pot plants? The ones that fly very slowly but cannot be caught.

I can never tell whether they are attracted to the plants, or arise from the soil. Or whether they are encouraged by plants being too dry or too wet.
My mum used go to after greenfly with sticky tape wrapped round her finger.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My mum used go to after greenfly with sticky tape wrapped round her finger.

Shirley that's for cat hair?

ian

What do you do with those little bastard flies, the ones that associate themselves with pot plants? The ones that fly very slowly but cannot be caught.

I can never tell whether they are attracted to the plants, or arise from the soil. Or whether they are encouraged by plants being too dry or too wet.

We have a plague of those, the source of which seems to have been the old bag of compost my wife used to re-pot them. Spray the soil with insecticide is the only way to kill them off.

I’m trying to avoid spraying anything - there aren’t that many of them. It does seem to depend on the degree of wetness of the soil - something triggers the buggers to hatch, I think.

ian

Yes, once you water them, they come out. They're sciarid flies and feed off the fungus in the soil, which grows best when the compost is damp. You can keep the plants as dry as possible or buy some pyrethrin spray.

nicknack

• Hornblower
First helicopter flight on another planet!!!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The machine was featured prominently on the telly last night.  “What makes it a helicopter rather than a drone?” asked Mr Larrington.  Answer came there none.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

nicknack

• Hornblower
Not all drones are helicopters and not all helicopters are drones.
HTH

I guess Ingenuity is either.

Or both.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Beardy

• Shedist
Is a drone not controls by a humin?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
No. Drones can follow a preprogrammed flight path, fly autonomously or be remotely controlled. Drones can be fixed wing or rotary wing (or rockets, etc.)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Beardy

• Shedist
Just how do you stop people from slamming car doors? Several requests to refrain from doing so have not succeeded.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Beach buggies.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Just how do you stop people from slamming car doors? Several requests to refrain from doing so have not succeeded.  >:(

Take their cars away.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
As of today, my daughter tells me she's a Sheila, in the sense that her application for Australian citizenship has been granted.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The perils of shared cloud storage...

I tried to look for some Important Files on our team Dropbox this morning but the folder they usually reside in had disappeared. Along with a load of other folders...  :o

After checking with my colleagues that it wasn't just a syncing issue I was experiencing, I went into full panic mode, genuinely feeling a bit sick...

Fortunately, the lovely Jason in IT got on the case. Also fortunate that Dropbox keeps deleted files for a while rather than getting rid of them permanently straight away. Panic over.

Turned out 'someone' had deleted a load of folders from their desktop, not realising that they were deleting them from Dropbox. I have my suspicions who the culprit was but Jason refused to name and shame.  ::-)

Follow up: fixing this problem revealed a quirk of Dropbox that I wasn't previously aware of...

You've all seen The Prestige, right? So you know how he pulls off the transportation trick?

Turns out Dropbox does something similar - every time you move or rename a file or folder...

This means that after the lovely Jason in IT had finished restoring all our files, I had to then go through and re-delete all the duplicates...  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
The perils of shared cloud storage...

I tried to look for some Important Files on our team Dropbox this morning but the folder they usually reside in had disappeared. Along with a load of other folders...  :o

After checking with my colleagues that it wasn't just a syncing issue I was experiencing, I went into full panic mode, genuinely feeling a bit sick...

Fortunately, the lovely Jason in IT got on the case. Also fortunate that Dropbox keeps deleted files for a while rather than getting rid of them permanently straight away. Panic over.

Turned out 'someone' had deleted a load of folders from their desktop, not realising that they were deleting them from Dropbox. I have my suspicions who the culprit was but Jason refused to name and shame.  ::-)

Follow up: fixing this problem revealed a quirk of Dropbox that I wasn't previously aware of...

You've all seen The Prestige, right? So you know how he pulls off the transportation trick?

Turns out Dropbox does something similar - every time you move or rename a file or folder...

This means that after the lovely Jason in IT had finished restoring all our files, I had to then go through and re-delete all the duplicates...  :sick:
And then double check that you had dent deleted an only copy of something important. Auto-synchronising cloud storage solutions are the work of Stan, especially those that don’t do backups (do any of them do proper multi site backups?)

ian

Owing to the confusion between I and L, a couple of the developers in my Indian team have started to refer to me as 'Lan.' Thing is, I've let this situation persist for so long that it's probably too late to correct them.

Owing to the confusion between I and L, a couple of the developers in my Indian team have started to refer to me as 'Lan.' Thing is, I've let this situation persist for so long that it's probably too late to correct them.

That's called business networking

Beardy

• Shedist

That's called business networking
But only local...

Cudzoziemiec

It's summer today, or the pre-summer we've had for the past few years that is actually better than summer, so there are more people than ever in town and more buskers. There was one at each end of Pero's Bridge, the Watershed end was bad renditions of oldies, the Fini end was strumming something without much tune but displaying card that was straight to the point: WEED AND STRING. I sort of presume he meant strings, for his guitar, but maybe not?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
STRING IS A MADE UP DRUG

Cudzoziemiec

String is just a theory...

Beardy

• Shedist
Everybody loves string.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Just ask a Clanger.