Author Topic: The Weather Station Thread  (Read 39244 times)

Re: The Weather Station Thread
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:00:41 am »
I used to submit the reports for the Met office surface station at Inverpolly

Was that at Drumrunie Corner?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:56:05 am »
The console was displaying a rain rate at 37mm per hour and it flashed up the helpful little message "It's raining cats and dogs". It's dropped back to 9mm per hour now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:25:32 pm »
The console was displaying a rain rate at 37mm per hour and it flashed up the helpful little message "It's raining cats and dogs". It's dropped back to 9mm per hour now.
"puppies and kittens"?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »
Maximum temperature of 10.4°C today. First time over 10° since November.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

You lucky Essex bastards.

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:13:32 pm »
You lucky Essex bastards.
Not really! I threw a good handful of manure, ripening nicely, over the sensors.  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »
Manure?  Luxury!

« Reply #32 on: 08 January, 2011, 11:52:12 am »

Your nice warm air arrived here in Leicestershire after dark.  It was 1-2°C for most of the day then 7-8°C overnight.  As the sun came up this morning the temperature started dropping again and is currently 4°C (ish).

At one point last night I was trying to decide how much clothing to wear for the Friday night pub ride.  The so-called Wundermap was showing 6°C locally, 10 miles south was 8°C and 10 miles north was 3°C.  We had a relatively warm and very pleasant evening but I was surprised at how clear the skies were after the front had gone through  -  not the usual clag.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »
Dez has wasted several days trying to get the sheeva plug to write data to an 8gb SD card. No matter what he tried, it just didn't seem to work. He's now hooked it up to a 60Gb hard disc (formerly of my old Ibook) and it's running off that. He's just putting the finishing touches to the configuration and it will be available to the whole world again.

No doubt he will be along eventually to explain (if he knows) why the SD card was so reluctant to converse with the sheeva plug. It spoke to his laptop OK.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 12 January, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »
A positively balmy 11.5°C here today, the warmest this year.

« Reply #35 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:45:58 pm »
I hope Jodrell know you are up to this WB. They will get jealous if you move to the next phase.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:26:18 pm »
Saarfend seems to be heading for its first air frost of 2011. 0.9°C here at the moment. Shoeburyness recorded 0.6°C at 9 p.m.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:09:55 am »
Our minimum was 0.4°C! I don't know if Shoebury crept beliow zero but by 2 a.m. it was cloudy and the temperature was on the rise. It certainly hadn't when i went to bed at about 12.30.

« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:58:15 am »
The Wunderground feed from 'Southchurch' hit -0.1 °C from 00:50 to 01:20 this morning.

Happy now ?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 30 January, 2011, 02:41:32 pm »
We recorded -0.3 at 2.46 this morning. First frost of the year! Mind you, the temperature was only below freezing for about an hour.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #40 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:55:19 pm »
16.2°C here this afternoon - highest temperature of the year so far.

This site, less than 2 miles from our place, recorded 18.8°. The nearest oficial site, Shoeburyness latest weather - Met Office, about 4 miles from us, recorded 13.2°. However, the official site is right on the coast and would have been far more affected by the SE breeze.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:10:45 am »
I am struck by how different temperature recordings are at different points round my house and outbuildings.
The North face of the house can be 6° warmer than the outhouses by night and 6° cooler by day, even in the shade..

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:25:14 am »
I notice that the highest temperature recorded by the Met Office in the eastrn Region today was about a degree lower than our station recorded.

I suspect that the proximity to the south-facing wall of our house must have been responsible for this. I'm pretty suspicious of the 18.8° recorded in Southchurch. The afternoon just didn't feel that warm.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #43 on: 19 April, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »
Maximum temperature of 24.1°C according to our weather station. That puts it about 4° above Shoebury. Certainly the warmest day we've recorded this year.

Weather Station History : Weather Underground, only a mile or two from us, shows a current temp of 25.5 and a daily max of 27.1. I'm sure that's much too high.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:49:14 am »
25°C here today. The average maximum for the month is now 18.8°C, which so far puts this April close to the average for June. The nights have generally been cooler than you'd expect for June, but even then the lowest I've recorded is 5.5°C. I've known Aprils since we lived here with inches of snow and minimum temps of about -6°C. When we did the Solstice Warty last June the temperature dropped to about 3°C where we were, on Salisbury Plain. It was bitter.

The Met Office gave the maximum in East England as 25.4, in Santon Downham, Norfolk. Having said that, twice in 3 days they've had Shoebury as the wettest, with 0.2mm rain. I'm bloody sure there hasn't been any. It's only 4 miles form here and we haven't had a cloud that I've noticed.

« Reply #45 on: 25 April, 2011, 09:55:31 am »
Nice setup wowb - not seen this link before.

I often wondered if it's possible to access real time data from the likes of Benson (our closest metoffice w. stn) - I don't think it is...  Benson weather forecast - Met Office

PS any idea what the accuracy diff of your temp sensor, vs one in a full size stevenson screen would be?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #46 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
The Met Office will let you have their data, but there's a bit of a cost, that might be better put into a detached house, or a comfortable pension plan.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #47 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »
The Met Office will let you have their data, but there's a bit of a cost, that might be better put into a detached house, or a comfortable pension plan.
I don't really need 'real time', but the the thing is, and not to appear too churlish, AFAIA the met office is government funded, with uber computing power, high-tech sensing stations. etc etc, and yet we get the likes of a 7 time point/day output or some graphic with cartoon suns/clouds etc...

« Reply #48 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
You can get hourly Benson data with about a 30 minute delay from the Met Office website

I currently quite like the display given on the 'Wundermap' but you have to do a bit of visual filtering of the information.

This source also leads on to:  Benson data.

Another option is to get the METAR for EGUB from somewhere like here (free registration required) but that will say something like 'EGUB 261150Z 02012KT 9999 BKN023 13/06 Q1026 WHT BECMG SCT025 BLU'  -  it just depends what you want to do with it !

« Reply #49 on: 26 April, 2011, 05:12:49 pm »
This source also leads on to:  Benson data.

Yes, that's better.