Author Topic: Broadband query  (Read 1117 times)

Broadband query
« on: 19 December, 2011, 01:57:16 pm »
OK, so I don't know a lot about how broadband actually works   ;D

My parents have a flat in Stockholm with broadband through the phone socket.  Unfortunately they only have a wired modem router, which means that only one of us can use the internet at a time (there's no room for more than one to sit at it apart from anything else).  Since there are generally 5 or more of us in the flat over the Christmas period-all of us wanting the internets, this gets frustrating fast!  Especially as for some bizarre reason, the router we've got there needs at least 20 minutes to "rest" between plugging in different computers, whether it's been connected before or not!   ???

I have a spare wireless modem router from when I was with aohell.  It's a Netgear and it was near the top of the range when I bought it-though that was quite some time ago.  If it matters, it's an ADSL2+ RangeMax Modem Router DG834N

Is it possible to just plug that in and set it up to work instead of the wired router?  Does it make any difference that it's in Sweden?  If I take it with me and try it, will that cause lots of hiccups and having to reset the original modem router if it doesn't work?  What do I need to know in order to know whether it would work or not?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Broadband query
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2011, 02:17:29 pm »
If it doesn't work and you need to revert to the old box - that shouldn't be a problem at all.  The old one should just work when plugged in and powered up.

For the new box, you'd need to know the dial-up number for your provider, plus various protocol settings, all of which may be available from their website.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »
OK, so I don't know a lot about how broadband actually works   ;D

My parents have a flat in Stockholm with broadband through the phone socket.  Unfortunately they only have a wired modem router, which means that only one of us can use the internet at a time (there's no room for more than one to sit at it apart from anything else).  Since there are generally 5 or more of us in the flat over the Christmas period-all of us wanting the internets, this gets frustrating fast!  Especially as for some bizarre reason, the router we've got there needs at least 20 minutes to "rest" between plugging in different computers, whether it's been connected before or not!   ???

I have a spare wireless modem router from when I was with aohell.  It's a Netgear and it was near the top of the range when I bought it-though that was quite some time ago.  If it matters, it's an ADSL2+ RangeMax Modem Router DG834N

this shouldn't matter, as it should be able to work backwards down the quality of ADSL flavours until it gets one it likes.

Is it possible to just plug that in and set it up to work instead of the wired router? 

Shouldn't be a problem, for ADSl you will need to know the username and password, and the VPI/VCi settings (which, according to this table: http://www.techlineinfo.com/what-is-vpi-and-vci-settings-of-broadband-connections/ is 8/35 for Sweden)

Does it make any difference that it's in Sweden? 

Only the VPI/VCI as mentioned above

If I take it with me and try it, will that cause lots of hiccups and having to reset the original modem router if it doesn't work?  What do I need to know in order to know whether it would work or not?

Should be fine, see above.  You will probably have a terrible time trying to get it to work, but once it works, if you can, leave it there!  The ISP (Telia or Telenordia) will probably have something on there system to prevent IP spoofing that is causing the 20 minute timeout you are experiencing.  I am guessing the box your parents have doesn't do any NAT'ing so when you plug another PC it sees the MAC address change and sits there until it decides that, actually, this is the PC at the end of this line.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
Do Swedish phones and sockets work off the same plugs as English ones? Are adaptor plugs available? I know even less than most about these things but appreciate one must plug in before proceding...

[Edit] They don't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_telephone_plugs_%26_sockets
[Edit again] You might find this helpful http://phone-jack.org/swedish

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:14:41 pm »

That sounds awfully like a modem, rather than a router, or at least a modem/router box acting as a bridge.  I've no idea how they do things in Sweden, but I expect the ISP are seeing the change in MAC address and ignoring it until a timeout.  A router would present a consistent MAC to the ISP and avoid this problem.

I expect the Netgear would work fine, given the appropriate settings (and cables, obviously).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:16:08 pm »
Do Swedish phones and sockets work off the same plugs as English ones? Are adaptor plugs available? I know even less than most about these things but appreciate one must plug in before proceding...

[Edit] They don't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_telephone_plugs_%26_sockets

I assume the Swedish equivalent of the ubiquitous phone-plug-to-RJ11 cable is fairly easy to come by, thobut.  There's probably one stuck in the back of the existing box.

« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »
Yes, I'd planned on using the cable currently attaching the box to the phone line, Swedish phone sockets are rather large and interesting!

Thanks guys, I may just bring it with me and have a play!  Expect the occasional "ARRRRGGGGHHHH" and other interesting noises coming from the general vicinity of Stockholm   ;D

We have username and password for the internets, it's very handily on a piece of paper in the middle desk drawer where we can all find it as we do tend to turn up with new computers (4 of us slightly geeky when it comes to shiny) regularly!

I'd really really like to get this to work, it is incredibly frustrating when you're used to having internet to have to wait in line!  Especially as my father and brother of course have much more important work-type stuff to be doing than anyone else   :-\

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »
If you're having to enter usernames / passwords on each single computer, then you most likely have a modem, not a router.

( The PPP endpoint is currently in the computers, not the modem ).

When you substitute the router for the modem, the PPP endpoint which does the username / password stuff will be in the router, and will only have to be set once.

You may need to remove any 'Internet Connection' things and ISP crapware from the PCs, because they become redundant.   All that's required on the PCs now is a working LAN connection.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »
Are PAYG dongles available in Stockholm? (Don't even consider using UK dongles abroad!)

« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »
Feanor, I actually can't remember if we're having to enter them when we log on anymore, I think that was the original contract, but it's useful to have it there anyway!

Helly, the 3 dongle is my backup, but it costs me the equivalent of £10 for a week, whereas the house internets is free...I have the spare router doohickey, so if I can use it, I shall!  :)

« Reply #10 on: 20 December, 2011, 08:09:39 pm »
PML!  After all that, my father was installing our lovely new wireless internet when I arrived!   ;D