Author Topic: Carry freedom y-frame trailer hitch connection problem  (Read 1400 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Carry freedom y-frame trailer hitch connection problem
« on: 11 July, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »
I use this trailer to carry leaflets, equipment etc for the stalls Lewisham Cyclists runs at local community events.  I have been finding that I can't seem to get the q-r skewer tight enough to prevent the rear wheel shifting slightly once on the road.  This results in a wheel jam against a brake block every revolution.  Consequently, it's really hard to ride with a fully loaded trailer, especially up any inclines.  Anyone else own this model and had a similar problem- any suggestions as to what I could do?

ed_o_brain

Re: Carry freedom y-frame trailer hitch connection problem
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2009, 11:07:09 pm »
Just wondering, how tight are you getting the skewer done up?

What frame is it? What type of dropouts does it have?
Are the dropouts clean and free of debris? Is the hitch clean and free of grease/debris?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »
I only use the trailer on my Roberts Roughstuff (steel frame, of course, very tough) and the hubs are XTR so it should all be plenty tough enough.  Hitch and frame clean.  I am sure it's a problem with me not being able to get the qr tight enough to handle the extra load- it's a much heavier load on the back wheel than my usual camping load  as its largely composed of huge packs of leaflets, a gazebo, table and various other bits and pieces, tools etc.  Its within the limit though and the guys at Roberts say the bike should be fine with it and agree it may be the skewer. 
Should I replace the skewer maybe?  Are there exceptionally tough ones out there?  (I thought XTR's were quite tough?)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2009, 03:54:20 pm »
I follow the 'skewer must be tight enough to leave an impression in hand' general rule when tightening skewers and I have not had this problem.

I would try tightening the skewer a bit more. Maybe you can find someone with stronger hands to close it with it done up half a turn more than you can manage?