Author Topic: Knock Ventoux, 04/06/16  (Read 19894 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Knock Ventoux, 04/06/16
« on: 15 February, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »
Looks like another good collection of grumps from young Mr C...

Anyway, triple booked at the Audaxer's favouriteTravelodge Fri & Sat, if anybody is considering it; first come, first served.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Re: Knock Ventoux, 04/06/16
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »
This looks like an amazing route! Definitely one to look for next year! or I could perm it ....

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2016, 05:53:01 pm »
A new 300 km Audax, long-distance cycling event for 2016 with the ascent to the summit of Great Dun Fell the "highlight" of the day!

The route follows a clockwise circuit out of Lancashire, passing through the Trough of Bowland and into the Lune Valley. An incursion into Cumbria introduces riders to the mighty Great Dun Fell, at 847 metres asl, the highest paved road accessible by bike in the British Isles (unless anybody can find one that's higher that is)! The return leg climbs over Tan Hill, Harkerside Moor and Kidstones. The last 20-miles or so is mainly on A-roads which will benefit those still out when it goes dark. Good training for the Mille Pennines 1000.

More info' on the event website at: https://burnleyccevents.com/knock-ventoux-300/

Online entry available through the AUK website. Postal entry also available.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Knock Ventoux 300

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
Can't wait for this ride!

Andy Corless

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »
Thanks to all those that have entered so far. Just to let entrants know that the event details and route-sheet will be about another week to 10-days or so.

Andy Corless

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
Looking forward to this after the Heartbeat   :o

Is anybody doing this and the 200 km on the Sunday as well?  Also, is travelling up from London on the train on the Friday and going back on the Monday plus would like to share a room in a travelodge ?

Joolz

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:10:42 pm »
Just the 300 I think - my first so that will be ambitious enough for now! I have the added dilemma of which bike to ride now that the new chainrings have not arrived in time for the old Dawes and the new wheels have been delayed AGAIN for the Giant until June sometime - this is what I get for not buying 'off the peg gear' it would seem!

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
Just the 300 I think - my first so that will be ambitious enough for now! I have the added dilemma of which bike to ride now that the new chainrings have not arrived in time for the old Dawes and the new wheels have been delayed AGAIN for the Giant until June sometime - this is what I get for not buying 'off the peg gear' it would seem!

The Giant has it - tested out on some hilly bits of Wales yesterday with the new 'Super Compact' - feeling positive! ;D

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:30:20 am »
A heartfelt "Chapeau ! "   to organiser Andy C for this superb ride. 
I Really enjoyed, what must rank as one of the tougher 300's out there?  well it was for me.
an early morning ride up the Trough of Bowland warmed the legs up nicely for a tough afternoons riding in sunny weather, the slog in "stiff breeze" up to the Radar station on top of Britain's highest paved road saw me lay spread-eagled & "taking 5" on the grass-  just to catch my breath back...  a real Knock-Ventoux....
More decent climbing in afternoon -  well it does have an AA  4 rating worked up an appetite & fortune shone on me again as just manage to sneak into cafe' in Reeth before closing time & then again last man thru the till @ Burger King @ final Skipton control -  made me chuckle on last 30miles homeward. 
A tough ride in great scenery & with great company.   Loved it  Many thanks again to organiser Andy C..  although not sure I enjoyed stampeding horses in Appleby though  :o
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »
Another big thankyou to Andy Corless - seemingly omnipresent organiser - for a beautifully crafted ride and for waiting around for the lanterne rouge! So pleased to finish my first 300. It was tough and we didn't quite get the food in at the right times but the second wind came, just in time!  ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:07:31 pm »
Thanks Andy.

Arrgh- Death by 1001 slopes.  It's not the big headliners that do you in, it's the insidious little sods that go up 50m, level off, go up 50m, level off..., until you're left screaming "Where's the bloody watershed?"

The run out Padiham-Warton-K. Lonsdale-Appleby (130K) was actually quite pleasant; knocked it off by lunchtime, inc. stops, so thought "on a winner here" - I should know better by now, shouldn't I  :facepalm:

Climbing the Trough, en-route to 2nd Breakfast

"...
All along the watchtower
Princes kept their view
While all the women came and went
Bare-foot servants too
Outside in the cold distance
A wild cat did growl
Two ridersAudexers were approaching
And the wind began to howl, hey.
"

Earworm for the day ;D

Hmmm, some lumpy bits on the horizon...

Ah - he forgot to mention Appleby Horse Fair was on.  The place was rammed with grockles and mad Irish racers...

I considered going on t'cog.  Then I went for a long lie down.  Chapeau to you, sir ;D

FMR - halfway up...  The againsterly all the way up was appreciated by all :P

What a load of balls...

(click to show/hide)
All that effort, and I give you this stunning outlook....

Wheeeeeeeeeee.... :D :D :D  'nuff said

Wheeeeeeeeeee^2.... :D :D :D  The run down from Tan Hill.

???  It's the only road...

Des Res, in need of a little modernisation

The (bottom of) Aysgarth Falls - sneaky, making you stop then hiding a climb around the corner.

Cracking day out :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2016, 12:35:14 am »
Excellent, Iddu, thanks!  I'm horrified to think that that might have been Mike Thompson on foot - looked like his bike - but surely not?

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »
Joolz and I rode the double Corless Corker this weekend and it couldn't have worked out finer. Extraordinarily hot weather especially on the Sunday coupled with fairly light winds. The winds only really became apparent on the higher ground most notably ascending the 640m climb to Great Dun fell. This area of England must surely be the most spectacular there is? The combination of wooded dales and dramatic hills left me constantly shaking my head in wonder of it all. I cannot separate this region from Curlews. So many sightings of these, lapwings and oystercatchers including a family with 3 chicks. Lovely.

So many hard climbs on these rides to conquer and  I concur that this is one of the tougher 300s. The Dales Delight is also challenging especially after the 300. Joolz and I had lots of downtime on Sunday enjoying the exceptional controls on offer.

Andy, you have put together a stunning series of rides and I thank you sincerely for a cycling weekend that will live in the memory forever. Roll on the Tan Hill 600. More of the same please.

Andy Corless

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »
Thanks to all those that entered and took part in the inaugural Knock Ventoux 300; a route taking the riders from Pendle Witch Country to the summit of Great Dun Fell, the highest paved road in the UK, and back again - in a day!

35 entered.
30 started.
30 finished.

The early part of this randonnee climbed through the Trough of Bowland following pleasant country roads and lanes. The route then took the riders into Cumbria, climbing over Orton before the route headed into Appleby, where all the trouble started. The annual horse fair was on and the route closed to vehicles for 1 - 2 miles. The riders managed to get through but lost about half an hour in the process. After leaving the Appleby civil war, the route catapulted the riders onto the mighty Great Dun Fell; a 7.8 km stretch of what can only be described as an amazing silver of tarmac; as if a tarmaced carpet had been rolled out especially for cyclists. For those new to this stretch of road it came as a bit of a shock, with some riders, who had previous ascended mountains such as the Stelvio and Mont Ventoux saying they've never seen anything quite like it!

The return route climbed over the Yorkshire Dales National Park, passing Tan Hill; Castle Bolton; Aysgarth Falls and many other interesting sights.

All 30 riders that started all got back.

The date for next year's edition has been set for Saturday 10 June 2017. Hopefully, this will avoid the Appleby horse show. If there's a clash the route will be re-routed around Appleby rather than a date change.

Thanks again to all those that entered and took part.

Andy Corless

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2016, 07:57:25 pm »
2017 APPLEBY horse fair scheduled for 8th -14th >:(
"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor."  T. Booth.

Andy Corless

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2016, 06:30:27 pm »
For those that are interested, some photographs from the 2016 edition.

Riders waiting for the start, Padiham, Lancashire.

Robert Bialek, Great Dun Fell Summit

Julian Williams & Mike Kelly, Great Dun Fell Summit

North Cheshire Clarion, Great Dun Fell Summit

Bury Clarion, Great Dun Fell Summit

Sarah Roberts descending the Great Dun Fell

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:52:13 pm »
This years event has been set for Saturday 10 June 2017 and has been rerouted around the Appleby horse fair. Entries still open! Event info' and route-sheet going out next Thursday.

Andy Corless

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2017, 07:42:37 am »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the email with info.

Just looking through the route. Just wondering if those more knowledgeable of the area might have some insights. Is there any reason to avoid going via Borwick to Kirkby Lonsdale instead of the route along the B6254? From what I can see it looks a little shorter and quieter or similar roads.

cheers,
James

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2017, 08:39:06 am »
James - where are you coming FROM to go to K Lonsdale via Borwick?

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2017, 08:51:16 am »
How far into the route is Great Dun Fell? I might be round there this weekend.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:20:10 am »
How far into the route is Great Dun Fell? I might be round there this weekend.

The climb starts at Km 138, the top is pretty much the half way point

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
James - where are you coming FROM to go to K Lonsdale via Borwick?

The previous control - Truckhaven near Warton.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
I'm looking forward to - and a bit scared of - this ride. It should be a good measure of how I will fair on the Millie Pennies which I have also signed up for. I have even upgraded my £20 Aldi, almost-waterproof jacket for a fancy new Altura one for the occasion.

Arthur :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

Andy Corless

« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »
Thanks to all those that have entered the Knock Ventoux 300 this weekend.

"The climb starts at Km 138, the top is pretty much the half way point" - actually the climb starts at 162 km with the checkpoint located at the summit at 170 km.

The B6254 is smoother and quicker and there's less than 1 km in it!

This year's edition has been re-routed to avoid Appleby as the horse fair will be on. IIRC most of the trouble was in Appleby last year.

I've booked the local community centre this year so food will be available at both the start & finish instead of the car-park finish that was the case last year.

There's 35 entries and I have 35 brevet cards with one notified DNS! I'll leave entries open for another 24-hours before closing them or before the last place is taken! However, there'll be no EoL this year!

Andy Corless

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »
Thanks Andy for organising a great ride. Particularly heroic standing at the top of that hill for hours. In the brief time I was up there it seemed quite inhospitable!

I've put a few photos up here: http://thinks.jamesbradbury.co.uk/knock-ventoux-2017/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk