Author Topic: Political reactions to Olympic Opening Ceremony  (Read 7712 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Political reactions to Olympic Opening Ceremony
« Reply #25 on: 29 July, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »
Are you doing an advanced course in non-sequiturs?
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 29 July, 2012, 05:50:01 pm »
Are you doing an advanced course in non-sequiturs?

There's a general belief that two piece swimsuits were introduced in 1946, and were so named because they succeeded a small one piece suit called the Atome. The two piece split the atom, so Bikini was used as a pun, as it starts with Bi and was seen as 'hot'. Bikini Atoll being the site of nuclear bomb tests. But two piece swimsuits were around in 1936, as we see in the film 'Cycling Tips'. So the reference is one of whimsy, rather than a non-sequitur, the conceit being that it is unlikely that the Olympic commentators would have seen the film, but that it has been linked to here a number of times and is well known.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 29 July, 2012, 06:38:30 pm »
Even had your post made sense, it is nonsensical to suggest that there is no connection between the name of the atoll and the swimsuit.  It's just an ignorant remark, and it's perverse to defend ignorance.  But do carry on, if you have nothing better to do.
Getting there...

« Reply #28 on: 29 July, 2012, 06:58:10 pm »
Even had your post made sense, it is nonsensical to suggest that there is no connection between the name of the atoll and the swimsuit.  It's just an ignorant remark, and it's perverse to defend ignorance.  But do carry on, if you have nothing better to do.

Will do. It's also a conscious satire of the type of minutiae-driven pedantry that characterises the web. It's always worth spending a little time to bait the humourless.

« Reply #29 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:42:30 am »
Nice to see that my somewhat gloomy message made it into The Guardian as third letter today.  I was disappointed that they had to edit it, by placing the bit about the Queen and the Archbishop in brackets rather than commas.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:30:51 am »
Was that you?  Oh dear, I had hoped you had found a fellow-spirit for your, er, 'off-kilter' views.
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:54:13 am »
Was that you?  Oh dear, I had hoped you had found a fellow-spirit for your, er, 'off-kilter' views.

Pancho liked them upthread, where that text was first posted. It's always as well to trial these things before submitting them to the national press. It's disappointing when something you've written fails to make the papers for want of a bit of honing. [edit] Especially when you are absolutely smashed.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #32 on: 30 July, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »
I think ESL's analysis is very good, and does reveal an underlying narrative in the opening ceremony.  It deserves some credit.  The ceremony did present a dramatic shift from a work based past to a light entertainment and popular consumerist present through the doorway of the NHS.
I guess they missed that chance to replace the chimneys with canary wharf towers and have bankers parachuting from them with parachutes made of money,  perhaps being carried off to a waiting Rollers by unemployed young people carrying I phones.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #33 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:04:21 pm »

Pancho liked them upthread, where that text was first posted. It's always as well to trial these things before submitting them to the national press. It's disappointing when something you've written fails to make the papers for want of a bit of honing. [edit] Especially when you are absolutely smashed.

I suspect I'm on Clarion's list of "out of kilter" committers of thoughtcrime.

I am interested, though, as to which aspects of the post/letter that Clarion thinks is so doubleplusungood.

« Reply #34 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »
I've assumed that the message we were supposed to glean from the ceremony was that the NHS is the crowning achievement of our history, and that it must remain under public control, largely from reactions on websites which conclude that Cameron cannot touch the NHS now.
But the Olympics are a manifestation of liberal, or neo-liberal if you like, international capitalism. Competition is a good thing, is the message, and a level playing field is vital. So the Olympics is a sort of physical GATT agreement. There's an inherent tension between dirigisme and liberalism at the heart of the event, the free market is present in the form of millionaire athletes, but the state is forced to intervene in the face of private companies' failures.
Each successive Olympics is more commercial than the last, and less communitarian, so collectivism is on the losing side, and has to fight back.
At the same time our national pride is under attack as developing nations' middle classes take up middle class sports. I've seen it at PBP, where it's not a problem because it is in a participative context. When we invest national pride in beating others, rather than taking part, we risk disappointment.
From the outside the opening ceremony looks like a justification for an economy based on popular culture, and health care provision along a certain pattern. There's a lot of uncertainty inherent in both those things. Can we afford the NHS? And can we make the internet pay?

« Reply #35 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »
I've now put a link to the Guardian letters page as an update on Facebook. Vanitas Vanitatum.